[New VP10 Alert] TikiTime

TikiTime

Tiki Time (2021)

PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED:

This VPX is a re-skin / re-theme of HiRez00's The Fog table which was a rework of BorgDog's Space Walk (Gottlieb 1979) table. 

About 20 years ago I got swept up into the Tiki Bar craze.  I could not see enough of them!  Not talking a thatched covered beer hut on the beach in Florida, I am talking about your dark classy restaurant/bar where you can get a real Mai Tai or a Zombie, filled with carvings from Oceanic Arts. Sadly, many have gone out of business now.  Fifteen years ago I gutted my first arcade machine and replaced it with MAME.  The Windows XP desktop powering it died so I replaced it with Retro Pi last year.  I ran across Visual Pinball and got it working well enough for me to feel comfortable with building my own cabinet this past September to put next to my RetroPi cabinet.  I have loaded up 100's of table, including VPX, Future Pinball and this past week I added FX3 (Zen was running a sale).  What I really felt I was missing was a good Polynesian themed table.  I mean Beach Bums, Gilligan's Island, Endless Summer are all good, but I really wanted that old school feel of a 50's Tiki Bar.  That's when I decided to see if I could make one.

I decided to start with simple table without DMD or complicated game play.  I figured an EM table which had already been modified, would be a good introduction to getting a theme completed pretty quick.  I followed HiRez00's plan of Kiss = Keep it simple, stupid.

After being granted permission by BorgDog and HiRez - I went through and redesigned all the artwork for the playfield, plastics, backglass, etc.  I grabbed a trial copy of Photoshop, but transitioned to Gimp for all of my editing.

The back glass is a picture from one of my favorites; the Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale.  The play-field is filled with characters from Tiki artist Josh Agle (better known as Shag).  Music is from Tiki Lounge greats Les Baxter, Martin Denny and more.

I am a 'cabinet' pinball user but I made sure the Desktop users would have a complete Tiki table as well.

USING LUT OPTIONS (VERY IMPORTANT):

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When you boot the table for the first time, the table will appear a lot brighter than it is intended, Tiki bars are usually pretty dim.

Hold down the LEFT MAGNASAVE and then press the RIGHT MAGNASAVE to cycle through the 13 LUT options. This bypasses the need of using the Day / Night slider. Depending on the resolution of your playfield monitor, everyones preferred LUT setting is different. When you cycle through the LUT options, when you select the one you prefer for your setup - it will automatically be saved when you exit / quit the table for the next time you play the table. You can adjust the LUT Option at any time when the table is loaded, even during gameplay.

PLEASE NOTE: Pressing the LEFT MAGNASAVE will shut off the music as well. Simply press the RIGHT MAGNASAVE (without the LEFT MAGNASAVE pressed) to resume music playback.

MUSIC OPTION:

- - - - - - - - - -

By default, the table is set up to play one of several random startup tracks, cycled Game Play tracks, and several random Game Over tracks. Instead of giving the option to turn ON or OFF all music, we split the options up at the top of the table script. You can adjust each type of music playback based on your preference. You can isolate and turn ON or OFF either the 3 options at the top of the script.

If you want to temporarily turn off the music, press the LEFT MAGNASAVE and it will stop the CURRENT music track. You can then press the RIGHT MAGNASAVE (without the LEFT MAGNASAVE pressed) to resume music playback.

During gameplay, and ONLY during gameplay, you can change the music track by pressing the RIGHT MAGNASAVE to switch to one of 6 music tracks. During actual gameplay is the only time this feature works.

OPTIONS MENU:

- - - - - - - - - -

When NOT in gameplay (i.e.: no ball in the plunger lane or game started) you can access the Game Options Menu by holding down the LEFT FLIPPER for 2 - 3 seconds. This allows you to change the number of balls, free play or coin play, high score visible setting, or Replay Score settings.

INSTALLATION (VERY IMPORTANT):

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The install is fairly standard and straight forward, except for 1 IMPORTANT thing, the Music folder for VPX. In order to avoid the growing 'mess' of a million .mp3 files in your Music folder, the additional audio / music files for this table NEED TO BE INSIDE a folder called 'TikiTime'. This reduced adding to the clutter and global warming problem.

So when you unzip the music / audio for this table, the directory structure should look like this when installed 'Visual Pinball / Music / TikiTime'.

You will get an error when you boot the table if the mp3 files are simply dumped into the Music folder.

DOF CONTROL:

- - - - - - -

I didn't want this new version of the table to compete or interfere with the existing Space Walk (Gottlieb) table or the re-themed “The Fog”,  so I have renamed the cGameName and all associate reference to Space Walk to "tikitime".

Until DOF is updated with this new table to be included, but you just can't wait - open your DOFConfig.ini and copy the command line for SpaceWalk_1979, paste it to a new line - and change 'SpaceWalk_1979' to 'tikitime'.

FINAL NOTES:

- - - - - - -

Overall - I am happy with how the table turned out. The look, features, sound, music, graphics and gameplay are how "I" wanted it for my cab. This was all my preference, and may differ from your tastes of preferences. Please make use of the multiple options to get it to your liking.

- Aloha!

FILES INCLUDED:

- - - - - - - - - -
TikiTime.vpx

TikiTime.directB2S

TikiTimeWheel.png

TikiTimeWheel3.png

ReadMe.txt

Link to Music Files.txt

MUSIC CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11oOWtjJ78G07FK3B2fz6lWOfVT5JCDbM/view?usp=sharing

CREDITS:

- - - - -

BorgDog - Original Space Walk table

HiRez00 - Table Re-Theme / Re-Designs

Rascal - Scripting, Updates, and Testing

Loserman76 - EM Knowledge / Advice

JP Salas - LUT Selector Enhancement

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Permission to Mod: NO

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This project took about 30 hours to put together and I am happy to share it with everyone ... so "thanks" or comments in the support topic are appreciated.

PLEASE NOTE: I create these image, videos, tables and backglass files for fun and for the dedicated VPX pinball users on this and other forum. I DID NOT create this for you to download as SELL, MAKE MONEY OR PROFIT ON ... You have been warned!

DO NOT include any of these files with other downloads or projects without asking / getting permission first.

All Logos, Copyrights and Trademarks are property of their respective owners.

PROVIDED STRICTLY FOR PERSONAL / HOME USE AND NOT FOR COMMERCIAL SALE / RE-SALE OR DISTRIBUTION!

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    01/01/2021
  • Category
  • ROM Name
    tikitime
  • Link to B2S
  • Link to Media Pack
  • Permission to Mod
    Contact Author First.
  • VP Version
    v10

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! My daughter and I are really enjoying this table. "Dreamy and romantic," I think she called it. One question, though -- the sixth digit in the backglass doesn't seem to be working for us. I.e., when it gets to 100k it rolsl back over to zero. Any ideas? 

EDIT: Nvm, I've found the update over on VPfourms. Thanks again for sharing this!

Edited by apc878