Big Bang Bowler - United Chief Shuffle Alley/vp Hybrid Project

Osprey101

What a day...

Brought home the computer and the second TV, to find my dogs had chewed up my CAT-5 and to top that off, my computer seems to have died.

I have tried the ram this way and that, and pulled the video card.  It is still down.

it is not loading the BIOS. Stops half way through the loading. And of course, all my money has been spent on the bowler.

So the computer I brought home for the bowler works. That is what I am using to type this. But it needs ram and video. Only has 512 Megs of ram.

The TV is a 42" plasma. I will test it tomorrow. It is late and today ended badly. I am going to bed.

Oh yeah, I have new oak molding for the head, being made. 2 of the original 3 pieces were missing.

I also got a new connection that may have pins and I emailed a company to see what the cost would be for 3D printing.

Bed.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, my computer is working again so spirits are up. Plugged in the TV for the bowler and it works fine! One problem. The TV is the exact same size as the head. Once I decase it, it will still not fit. Solution: notch the head and alter the trim!

I have the monitor basically just set in place. Now I need to get it mounted a little better in the head and get the head bolted on solid. Then I can set the computer inside. The ipac and will be here next week.

post-47-0-97665700-1357440904_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-34158900-1357440950_thumb.jpg

That looks great. You know, IF you never find pins and for whatever reason the pins you make don't turn out ok, you could do the same simulation for the pins as you do the backglass. what i mean is, if you lower the backglass monitor, you could add animated pins that react to same playfields triggers that sits under the cover (at the back). Obviously not your number one choice, but it could end up looking pretty good.

• Administrators
That looks great. You know, IF you never find pins and for whatever reason the pins you make don't turn out ok, you could do the same simulation for the pins as you do the backglass. what i mean is, if you lower the backglass monitor, you could add animated pins that react to same playfields triggers that sits under the cover (at the back). Obviously not your number one choice, but it could end up looking pretty good.

We already have a version of this with animated pins, that Rascal created as well.  This is the version that Roseve and Rawd are using for their virtual bowlers.

This version was made specifically for this (real) machine. As Dazz stated, there was second version made with animated pins. I actually have monitor hidden behind the pin unit so if for any reason I could not use the original pins, I can (fairly easily) remove the entire pin unit. I have no doubt that this will have pins though. Even if I can't find replacement pins, I have a way to make brackets that will allow pretty much any pin body to attach. Even little plastic kiddie sets have been looked at and filed away, just in case. They use the same exact size pins this uses. Still trying for originals first though.

To do list (in no articular order):

• Clean up lane switch wiring
  • Test transformer
  • Mount transformer
  • Install relays
  • Wire all GI
  • Wire switches for power
  • Go through all the pin hangers (clean,lube, wire and mount)
  • Go through bell mechanics, test and wire
  • Test and wire pin reset motor
  • Head molding and finish work
  • Refinish legs
  • Front door and hinge (special hinge)
  • Front door controls
  • Replace computer
  • Install HyperSpin
  • Door graphics
  • Install tempered glass in front of monitor
  • Whatever else I forgot

Oh very cool on the the other version, well done. Are there vids of that one in action? This is a superb project, its amazing to see this come to life.

Loaf, stop into the VPU chatroom (link at top of page) as these guys are talking Shuffle bowlers and Future Pinball at all times of the day.  :)

• Content Provider
Oh very cool on the the other version, well done. Are there vids of that one in action? This is a superb project, its amazing to see this come to life.

Hi Loaf, on the first page of this thread I have a video of the bowler with pins in action.

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/index.php/topic/46-big-bang-bowler-united-chief-shuffle-alleyvp-hybrid-project/?p=429

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To do list (in no articular order):

• Clean up lane switch wiring
  • Test transformer
  • Mount transformer
  • Install relays
  • Wire all GI
  • Wire switches for power
  • Go through all the pin hangers (clean,lube, wire and mount)
  • Go through bell mechanics, test and wire
  • Test and wire pin reset motor
  • Head molding and finish work
  • Refinish legs
  • Front door and hinge (special hinge)
  • Front door controls
  • Replace computer
  • Install HyperSpin
  • Door graphics
  • Install tempered glass in front of monitor
  • Whatever else I forgot

Progress has been made!

All switch wiring is wrapped into a nice harness, I have installed two outlets inside. One is 120vac and is split where, half of it is constantly powered so it will act as a service plug, and the other half is on a switch that is mounted inside the front door. Plugged into that is a power strip that has the computer, monitor and transformer plugged into it. The transformer has been tested and is good. The second outlet is wired to the 30vac leg on the transformer so as to make testing easier. Not sure if I will leave it in or not once it is finished. A power button for the computer has also been installed inside the front door. The bell has been tested and now just needs a good cleaning. The pin reset motor has also been tested and, thankfully, it is also good! The relays have been ordered and should be here next week.

I am considering putting in LEDs in the GI and connecting it all through the LED Wiz. This would give me the ability to have some lighting effects for games where it could be taken advantage of. I wouldn't use it for everything but, for some of the ideas we have tossed around, it could be cool.My biggest concern with doing that is, space for the additional wires.

I will post a new pic or two tomorrow.

Love it, my parents have the similar larger machine that we used to play all the time. Great game. Would love to get around to building one at some point. If we could find or create a 3d model of the pin, I could cnc one to then use to create a fiberglass mould for as many as we want.

Love it, my parents have the similar larger machine that we used to play all the time. Great game. Would love to get around to building one at some point. If we could find or create a 3d model of the pin, I could cnc one to then use to create a fiberglass mould for as many as we want.

If there's even one good one around maybe someone could use the Kinect 3D scanning hack to generate a 3D model?

If there's even one good one around maybe someone could use the Kinect 3D scanning hack to generate a 3D model?

That or I could spend the money and get a prob for my cnc then I can read it in real time ;)

At first glance, the pins seem very, very easy to recreate. Everyone I talk to about them says, No problem", until the see them.

The backside of the pin is integral in the pin's operation. There are two "tabs" that each have a hole, through which  passes a pin. It both connects the pin, and works as the pivot point. In between those "tabs", is a small pocket where a short shaft on the pin hanger fits into. That is what aligns the pin. If you can CNC both sides, I have ONE good pin left but, it is not leaving my sight unless someone is CERTAIN they can make them.

I spent many, many, MANY hours on it today, going through the pin hangers and all the wiring in the pin head. I have just a little more to do tomorrow and all the head wiring will be complete until the relays arrive. I should even have some GI on tomorrow.

I have removed a couple of the broken pin heads and hope to start fabricating brackets that will allow me to use any hollow pin body.

I also have a guy in NY and another guy in NJ, on the hunt for pins. Not looking good though.

Looking at the arrow head (the part where all the pin hangers are mounted), I have an idea to add some LEDs, in addition to the incandescent GI. There are cut outs at each place I was considering an LED, as if the head was a generic design with multiple light placement options.

I will drill those cut outs the rest of the way through and add some #44/47 lamp bases and LEDs. But that is down the road. First I need to get it working 100%. Getting closer!

BTW...

This uses #63 bulbs above the pins. Them suckers are $2.80 each! Holy crap!

Send me some pics of the pin when you can

Here are pics of one of the pin heads. The rest of the pin body is just hollow, with no "foot" or base of any kind.

Assuming we can find an easy way to duplicate whole pin and your supplying the original to use as a template then your set cost would be minimal, material cost and shipping. What the material cost would be is unknown until I determine the best way to do it, needless to say it won't be much.

Archived