Hows about a separate editor for video mode?

malenko

• Content Provider

Can we have an editor just for video mode?  Have it export a .vmf file or something?

The way you edit for video mode now is sort of clunky, and impossible to keep track of if you say edit some frames then dont touch it for a few weeks.

• Content Provider

You should be more precise . How can it technically be achieved what you want to have ? Do you have a concept ?
Without something more concrete it is like saying "can we have a brain interface in the editor that I only have to think the colorization and it is done"
Videomode is currently handled by a Layered ColorMask Scene and you should be able to export that scene and load it into a separate project to have a "videomode only" project.

• Content Provider

Something exactly like the editor, or built into the editor that is more functional.

I made some progress on the getaway video mode, redoing it with the weird shapes that only need triggered because they are the only variable sections of the screen. Looks weird but  But its been so long I have no idea what all has been done.
I cant go back through and see whats triggered and what isn't. Instead of bogging down or bloating the exiting editor I thought it'd be better to have a separate piece of software.  Even it it just exports to something that has to be imported into the regular editor.

I guess I could photoshop some sort of GUI to give you an idea of what I mean, if that'd be more helpful.

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, malenko said:

I guess I could photoshop some sort of GUI to give you an idea of what I mean, if that'd be more helpful.

If only photoshop could also make it work. ?

I cant go back through and see whats triggered and what isn't.

In a colormask layered scene you can identify what is or should be triggered by either the area which is colored and the hash value / mask combination which is set.

I thought it'd be better to have a separate piece of software. 

Considering the amount of time it would need to create such a new piece of software I would prefer adding missing functions to the existing editor.
Given the fact that artists like NetzZwerg and Endprodukt get more and more comfortable with the colomask layered mode the editor basically seems to work.

Something exactly like the editor, or built into the editor that is more functional.

Please describe "more functional" . Which functions do you think are missing ?  I still don´t have the slightest idea what you want.

• Content Provider

Lets start over then.

When I trigger a frame in the video-mode colorization, I have no idea where the hash or frame or anything else is stored. I cant see what Ive done or see whats left to do.
I can go a few weeks between when I have time to  work on colorizations and the only solution I have  been able to come up with it is to keep super detailed word doc with screen shots and hash CRCs frames mask details etc

It would be great if like under the trigger for the mode, there was a list of all the triggers used IN the mode.

TL;DR I'd like to see whats triggered in colormask layer mode

• Content Provider

In ColorMask Layered Scenes every single frame within the scene must have its own trigger/hash assigned. The hash assigned to the current frame is displayed in the lower part of the editing window above the cut/frame+/frame- buttons. The special task for VideoModes is that instead of using a part of a recording in a scene which you cut out with "mark start","mark end" "cut" you have to generate a compilation of frames copied together from single frames of the recordings. This compilation needs to have the frames which have all the positions of all moving objects. For the HS2 videomode example which is used here https://pin2dmd.com/chapter-8-advanced-coloring-using-colormask-layered-mode/ these objects would be "player car", " "oncoming cars", "objects on the left of the street", "objects on the right of the street" and "background". The task is now to get all possible positions/versions of each object, color them and assign a hash which is unique enough to trigger only that specific object in that specific position. Since you need all of them in a videomode session I would group them together within the scene like first copy and collect all frames with all positions of the "user car", after that copy all frames with all positions of the "oncoming cars on the left lane",  then copy all frames with all positions of the "oncoming cars on the middle lane" etc. Since you color only single objects in each frame it should be easy to keep track of what is done and what is missing that way without using a doc file with screenshots. What do you think ?

• Content Provider

I get that everything needs triggered and hashed, my issue is I don't know what all has been already triggered and hashed.
I also understand its probably easiest to do all the player cars, and then all the signs on the left in order etc, but my issue is, if I haven't done any work in a month I dont want to repeat a bunch of work because I dont know if its been triggered or not.

So I'll ask a different way, how can I see all the parts that have been triggered in video mode?

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, malenko said:

So I'll ask a different way, how can I see all the parts that have been triggered in video mode?

By browsing through the lcm scene frames you can see which parts have been colored and triggered. During live preview with the exported project on the pin2dmd device SD, you can see how the frames of the lcm scene work together.

• Content Provider

I uploaded a new version to google drive.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18wNl_JbPW4XbvLkJQbT_s_DhHZqwq9CI

I have added a Add2Scene button for easier creation of frame collections needed for e.g. Colormask Layered mode.

Description is integrated here https://pin2dmd.com/chapter-8-advanced-coloring-using-colormask-layered-mode/

If you have any other detailed ideas and how to integrate them,  I´m open for suggestions.

Archived