White Water PIN2DMD Colourisation

Hello guys,

I have begun the task of colouring this game. I am working off my real machine using the latest home rom which includes a few more animations than the original. Hopefully this means I can cover all rom versions in a single go.

I am expecting to start a public beta on the virtual files within the next 2 weeks - I will of course keep this thread updated with progress etc.

Virtual files will be free with a donation for a real files. All in good time.

Hdh0Qxw.gif

ezgif-5-47b9da63829c.gif

I've got quite a few animations done now. If this weekend goes well I should still be on track to releasing the initial files for testing towards the end of next week.

It is quite hard for me to test as I have the opposite problem of most - I have a real machine but no windows PC to run VPX..

• Content Provider
20 hours ago, pudd1nG said:

I've got quite a few animations done now. If this weekend goes well I should still be on track to releasing the initial files for testing towards the end of next week.

It is quite hard for me to test as I have the opposite problem of most - I have a real machine but no windows PC to run VPX..

The good things is that it should work great on vpin if it works on the real one, the opposite way is more difficult most of the time. 

Hey guys! Update here!

I am very close to a public beta! The plan is it fix a few more bugs I have on my list and then get the Virtual files up here for everyone by the end of this week.

Here's an export of what I've done so far - there's a few bugs noticeable in this that either have been fixed or are actually workarounds for real pins. For example the high score colours look offset in the preview because the default scores are so low. Scores over 1bil push the initials quite a bit. Maybe I'll need to handle both but I'll figure it out..

I'm reluctant to release the real pin files too early as I really wouldn't want people keeping beta / broken versions on their real machines and downgrading the experience - but I do have a handful of testers in my local community who will test it on their machines too.

Hdh0Qxw.gif

I am having issues with timings and the colour masking of some animations - almost all that involves the raft going down a river seem mis-timed on the real machine and so the masks dont line up. i've got around this mostly by changing these to replacement animations - but in some cases there's dynamic content so that's not possible. Does anyone have advice or know if it's possible to have a replacement animation that includes a "hole" that can have the dynamic added over top?

Anyhoo, more news before Friday!

I had considered that but was curious if I would need to also include the interstitial frames (the ones that are a blur of two frames, where the delay is often only 20)?

I'm actually really enjoying the problem solving part like thinking of solutions like that!

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, pudd1nG said:

I had considered that but was curious if I would need to also include the interstitial frames (the ones that are a blur of two frames, where the delay is often only 20)?

I'm actually really enjoying the problem solving part like thinking of solutions like that!

I call those frames transition frames. Actually they consist of 3 different frames which is only visible with a rawdump where they show three different hashes (which is the reason why I introduced that format) Single ColMask frames stay until the next trigger comes, so it should be enough to trigger only on full frames. Give it a try

Ok! Beta 1 is available. Attached to this post are the Virtual Pin files

I haven't had enough time to get through my known bugs and issues list - IMO this version is not ready for use. But I did promise beta testing and here we are :)

I am really struggling to get good .raw recordings of many animations - I dont have a PC, so if anyone fancys doing me a few .raw recordings of animations they notice missing or broken that would be amazing.

Let me know any feedback!

virtual.zip

8 hours ago, Endprodukt said:

@pudd1nG

Attached you find what should be an almost complete recording. At least I hope so. 

If you miss something, let me know and I get you the files. 

whitewater.txt.gz 2.81 MB · 1 download

Thanks for this! Many animations there I was having trouble getting.

I only have my Wh20 setup for the next 6 weeks - So I want this completed before then. 

While there's perhaps too much missing / buggy in my current release for proper reports being required - the next version next week should be a lot closer!

Thanks again everyone!