Pin2DMD Tutorial: Replacing words on DYNAMIC SCENES

• Content Provider

So I was asked to do some customization work on the Getaway. Part of what was asked to do was to change some words on scenes that had dynamic content. You may think this is impossible, but it can be done albeit with a  limited palette.

This is a technique using red and black to replace ACE DRIVERS in the getaway with MPH DRIVERS while retaining the dynamic content of the scores and initials.
To note, you can still use 2 of the 4 sections of the palette for whatever you want, the 2 parts you lose are the black out section, and the replacement color section.

First step is to capture and trigger the frame you want to replace:
1.thumb.PNG.79bb5b870e1b8430ae3b45fa7bfe0e3d.PNG

Next step is to color whatever parts you want to be dynamically done, in this example its the initials. They didn't have to be red, this is just the color choice I wanted to use:
2.thumb.PNG.2c82f6f6f63125c8eb8fdd9dfc8c260e.PNG

Next I blackout the word(s) I want to replace. In the example I remove the word ACE, by coloring it in with a palette section where all 4 colors are black:
3.thumb.PNG.d58d41b522017ed6f2ad04149b35c9a7.PNG

Finally, I draw in the replacement word using a palette that has all 4 colors the same as the text I want:
4.thumb.PNG.5e2780cff818b97931b2ce1ff548daf4.PNG

One thing to keep in mind is I needed the first 4 colors to do the score and checked flag wipe, the 3rd and 4th section was used to color in the letters, but the second set of 4 colors could still be used to color in dynamic content. For example I could have had the initials in a different color while keeping the text red at the top.

This wont work for more complicated dynamic scenes but its great for altering text on high score screens and stuff like that.

Archived