How to upload firmware on Pin2dmd evo

BenHur

Hello every one,

I received my pin2dmd evo and I can not upload the firmware on the pin2dmd.
Can you give me the procedure (step by step) or even better a video to avoid making mistakes.
Should I connect the pin2dmd evo to a separate power supply during this upload?
Thank you for your advice and help.

Ben

4 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Then hold the DFU button and press/release the reset button to get into DFU mode to upload the firmware using the DFU utility.

When the board are in dfu mode, do some things appear on the pin2dmd screen?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider
14 hours ago, BenHur said:

It's worksssss, i think i have a bad file.

Thanks for your help.

Ben

The problem is that you used upload and not upgrade as described on pin2dmd.com. If you choose upload you make a copy the memory content of the (empty) device and possibly overwrite and corrupt your pin2dmd firmware file. 

• 11 months later...

Hello

I tried to upload the firmware and I had a problem, and I share the solution
I was in my gameroom and I booted the pin2dmd EVO in dfu mode, using the power of a pinball. In the device manager of my PC, the device was saw as a stm booloader with an exclamation as the driver was not installed.
After installing the driver with the Zadig utilily it was worse, the device was saw as a serial device, but not dfu device and I was still not able to use the Dfusedemo program.

In fact, in my gameroom there is no wifi, and when the device was plugged in the driver was not automaticaly installed.

I desinstalled everything and made a manual install of the driver (http://deviceinbox.com/drivers/1157-stm-device-in-dfu-mode.html), and everything works !

• 4 months later...

Hi Jörg,

I have a big problem.. The new Evo Boards arrived, but I can´t get them into DFU mode..

If I pressed the buttons as described the DFU mode starts, but after 2 secounds the board disconnect and the DFU mode is closed..

What do I wrong, or is there a major problem on the board?

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, reinkc said:

The instructions say Hold DFU button, Press and Release Reset, Release DFU. Then hold Boot and powercycle, but I don't see a Boot button. I have BTN1, BTN2, Reset, and DFU. Can anyone help? Thanks

It says "DMDST32 DIP2 off or hold boot button and powercycle." Which means these instructions are for DMDST32 and NOT for EVO

Hi everyone!

My EVO boards arrived yesterday. Now i ran into the same problems as listed above. I seem to get my controller in DFU mode by using the described method. First time the driver is not recognised. Dfuse lists nothing.

Then i used the usb_driver zadig from the PIN2DMD github repo. Device is recognised and installed by windows. Dfuse still lists nothing. Reboot device. Put it in DFU again. Still no listing in Dfuse. Am i missing something?

• I tried on different systems.
  • Uninstalled everything and gave it another go but without succes.
  • Tried to install with the drivers that came with the Dfuse programm. 
  • Tried other drivers from zadig.
  • Rebooted pc
  • Restarted Dfuse

Nothing will list the device inside Dfuse...

I am totally lost. Hope someone has a solution! Thanks in advance.

2021-04-24-13_53_58-Window.jpg

2021-04-24-13_55_06-Window.jpg

2021-04-24-14_07_53-Window.jpg

2021-04-24-14_08_16-Window.jpg

2021-04-24-14_11_34-Window.jpg

9 hours ago, lucky1 said:

It says "DMDST32 DIP2 off or hold boot button and powercycle." Which means these instructions are for DMDST32 and NOT for EVO

Thank you. I mistook those as two steps in the procedure, not two methods of getting into that mode. I was able to find the right drivers and get it into dfu mode. Now I'm at the part of trying to understand why we do an input test and what we do with that information we get.

21 hours ago, reinkc said:

Now I'm at the part of trying to understand why we do an input test and what we do with that information we get.

Once you have the firmware installed and the pin2dmd logo comes up on the screen, you just need to activate the display with the key you got from Lucky1. You put the key on your memory card, plug it in and hit the reset button. It's activated and ready to go. That's it.

No need to run an input test. I don't think I've ever used that and I've assembled hundreds of these displays.

20 hours ago, dzorbas said:

Once you have the firmware installed and the pin2dmd logo comes up on the screen, you just need to activate the display with the key you got from Lucky1. You put the key on your memory card, plug it in and hit the reset button. It's activated and ready to go. That's it.

No need to run an input test. I don't think I've ever used that and I've assembled hundreds of these displays.

Thanks! I did do that and got one working in a LW3 machine and it looks amazing. Thanks Lucky1 and all who contribute their talents!

On 4/26/2021 at 2:14 AM, dzorbas said:

I run the input test on everyone I have assembled, made up a little plug in adapter so it takes less than a minute to do. On the other hand, I have yet to find a fault in the inputs so probably not necessary at all. 

14 hours ago, SteveNZ said:

I run the input test on everyone I have assembled, made up a little plug in adapter so it takes less than a minute to do. On the other hand, I have yet to find a fault in the inputs so probably not necessary at all. 

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the purpose of this test. Is it simply to verify if the connector on the board is attached and working properly? Or to help determine which way to plug in the flat ribbon cable? If that is the case, I think I'm covered because every display that I put together gets plugged into my Judge Dredd for a final test with a colour file on a memory card before it goes out the door.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, dzorbas said:

Is it simply to verify if the connector on the board is attached and working properly?

It is for that reason. Testing it on a real pinball is a good thing, but different modes need different pins for sync. So if you test in a WPC machine there is still the possibility that one of the pins on the connector is not working. Best would be to do both.

• 4 months later...

So I was also struggling on my new PC, I tried everything and all the different drivers, I finally managed to get the the card to register as DFU mode with the following steps.

image.png.aa155038cd04f396acaef72329f96faf.png

The driver was loading as STM32 BOOTLOADER
 - I right clicked update driver
- Clicked on "Browse my computer for drivers"
- Clicked on ":et me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
- I then selected "STM Device in DFU Mode"

image.png

And bang it came up in DfuSe Demo and I was able to update it, hope this helps some others :)

Edited by WolNielsen