Ordering EVO PCBs at chinese manufactures questions and help

lucky1

• Content Provider
46 minutes ago, JRudebaugh said:

Just another quick question - I just finished setting up my second Pin2DMD.  Does the the on-board setup menu not function when the Pin2DMD is not activated?  I know the activated one works as it should when you press the buttons on the back, but my freshly setup one just resets when you try to get into the menu. 

Should work unactivated

I find the getting into the menu to be a bit hit and miss until you get the exact sequence of button pushes sorted out. I can't remember the sequence off the top of my head, I will report back once I test it. But it is something like hold button 1 then hold button 2 as well then release button 1. if it resets do it in the opposite (buton 2, button 1) order.

I find the easiest thing to do to get into the menu is hold down button 1 and press and release the reset button. If you keep an eye on the front of the display it will say Config  Menu. You can then release button 1 and youre good to go. 

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Good morning everyone,

I also received today a set of pictures from PCB Way (for some of them it's kind of hard to check)

It looks OK to me (they only pointed out in details one diode), but would appreciate a second point of view just to be sure

Thanks

397062425_D1.jpg.a66ea01d7593bfe3f6079db0cf9ae059.jpg609205907_X1direction.jpg.e4feb1ebf9ffe4d192e9ea3c5f1010ef.jpgIMG_20201010_132934.thumb.jpg.91b419a079d77931d8149d5a095c0ac4.jpgIMG_20201010_132931.thumb.jpg.9dedda20d1fa182fa0ab56d6efb8b4f9.jpgIMG_20201010_132919.thumb.jpg.d1b683f99b4ff2d580fc7ebddb046af8.jpgIMG_20201010_132913.thumb.jpg.daa2d574466bd7a6ccdd4fb6a71b4eed.jpg

Hello,

I compared your photos, with one board (rev1.2) working in a real pin, and I saw no difference with the orientation of the polarized componants.

For the moment, I put 2 pin2dmd (commercial) for testing in real pin, and I'm very happy with them. I'd like to thanks Lucky1 for sharing this project, and this post that explains for newbies how to ordering board from manufactures.

Now, I have to take the decision if I launch a run for the rest of my pinball collection.

Thanks

Yes, you need two of the P2.5 64x32 pixel (180x60mm) panels for each of the smaller DE displays. If you are ordering through Aliexpress from Coreman I see listings with no minimums on them.

Also, there are two different panels you can get from Coreman - higher intensity and lower intensity panels. The higher intensity panels are more expensive and super bright. The lower intensity panels are much cheaper and work just as well. I've never set the lower intensity panels anywhere close to their highest setting.

6 hours ago, dzorbas said:

Yes, you need two of the P2.5 64x32 pixel (180x60mm) panels for each of the smaller DE displays. If you are ordering through Aliexpress from Coreman I see listings with no minimums on them.

Also, there are two different panels you can get from Coreman - higher intensity and lower intensity panels. The higher intensity panels are more expensive and super bright. The lower intensity panels are much cheaper and work just as well. I've never set the lower intensity panels anywhere close to their highest setting.

Thanks, i'll ckeck it further.

Any relation to Greece dzorbas ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Hi guys, having an issue with 1 Evo 128x32 PCB. It will intermittently power up.

When you turn it on the green LED lights up but the red LED stays off and the display panels do not show anything.

If you then turn it off and on a few times it will eventually boot up. Then after that it will go back to not booting.

While it is on but not booting or displaying any image, if you hit the reset button it will come on every single time. 

I have re-flashed the firmware multiple times. I have checked the wiring for the display panels and it seems they are always getting the correct voltage no matter if it boots and shows an image or if it stays blank.

Has anyone had this issue or know of what area/component that could be causing this? 

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Unfortunately I have been trying to diagnose this problem for a while now with no resolution. I have been working with PCBway to try and figure it out as any feedback they need to help diagnose any issues in their process or suppliers so it doesn't happen to others.

There are some other issues I am resolving with them though regarding the brand/supplier of buttons as there have been quite a few reports now of those having issues (including myself). If anyone ever has any issues make sure to report them so they can be fixed for future builds at manufacture. 

If I find anything else I will update. Thanks

@Terranigma I just read your last two posts. I have someone reporting similar issues with a board sometimes working and sometimes not. If he hits the reset button it will start up on some occasions. I'm waiting to get this board back and will do some troubleshooting. I'm wondering if one of the buttons is stuck on. I have definitely had some issues with the buttons on some boards. I asked PCBWay to ship me 10 extra buttons when they sent my last order of boards. If I come across a problematic one, I just replace it with a new one.

• Content Provider

@dzorbas Thanks for the input. That sounds exactly like my issue. 
I have found if reset or dfu is held down it can prevent it from booting. I desoldered both those buttons to try rule that out and it didn’t make any difference. 

Pcbway are still investigating and I haven’t had much time to do anymore on it but if you have any ideas after you get yours back please let me know.

Also it would be great if you could report it to pcbway once you’ve gone over it as they have told me I am the first to have this issue and it hasn’t been reported before. I did explain that not everyone reports back and sometimes fixes their own boards as it is easier than sending them back so they are taking that into consideration in regards to this and the button issues.

Thanks again

I believe that the boxes marked in green are the parts that have changed from the BOM XLS that I have ordered. They don't have the parts that I want and they replace them with equivalent ones. My only interest is to know if the parts that they have changed have the same quality ...

• Content Provider
  • Content Provider
On 11/18/2020 at 10:49 PM, dzorbas said:

@Terranigma I just read your last two posts. I have someone reporting similar issues with a board sometimes working and sometimes not. If he hits the reset button it will start up on some occasions. I'm waiting to get this board back and will do some troubleshooting. I'm wondering if one of the buttons is stuck on. I have definitely had some issues with the buttons on some boards. I asked PCBWay to ship me 10 extra buttons when they sent my last order of boards. If I come across a problematic one, I just replace it with a new one.

An update on the buttons, they have now started shipping with the new supplier for the buttons and on the latest batch I haven't had any issues thus far. Hopefully this will solve this issue for everyone and no longer have to get spares to repair them but time will tell.

Did you end up getting that board back with the similar issues to mine?

23 minutes ago, Terranigma said:

An update on the buttons, they have now started shipping with the new supplier for the buttons and on the latest batch I haven't had any issues thus far. Hopefully this will solve this issue for everyone and no longer have to get spares to repair them but time will tell.

Did you end up getting that board back with the similar issues to mine?

I did get the board back and it's sitting on my work bench. I haven't had a chance to do any testing with it, just been too busy with a few other things. I will try to get to it this weekend. I will report back with anything I find.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, dzorbas said:

I did get the board back and it's sitting on my work bench. I haven't had a chance to do any testing with it, just been too busy with a few other things. I will try to get to it this weekend. I will report back with anything I find.

No worries, thanks for the update.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone found a solution for this issue?

I just received my first EVO board and after installing the firmware, I re-booted the display and got nothing, then I pressed the reset button and it came on. Just for a test I turned off the power and turned it back on again and then I get nothing again even when pressing the reset button.

I am able to get into DFU mode but not run mode.

I have checked the continuity of the buttons and none are jammed on. I have also checked the power an all good there.