Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucky1

PIN2DMD EVO - DMD multicolor now also for DE 128x16 and SEGA 192x64

On 9/29/2020 at 8:08 PM, lucky1 said:

Maybe the SEGA Display Controller is not working. or your 5V for the SEGA Display Controller is too low.

Did you measure the 5V ? Do you have a 128x32 pin2dmd that is known to be working in a real pin ? You could also do it the other way around and upload the XL DFU to it to see wether it is displaying something  when connected to your machine.

the pin2dmd 128x32 I don’t have in the city I am in at the moment, but soon there will be some leds I will have some to do the test.  but it’s an interesting idea.  

Anyway, if this could be related to the realpin power supply that I thought I had already discarded because the display turned on only that it was stuck on the PIN2DMD logo, so I didn’t measure the 5v amperage, but today I will do  the test with an external 12v 5A source to answer this question.  

if it’s a problem with the realpin’s feed I’ll be able to find out and discard this.  but if that doesn’t solve, I’ll also do the procedure of reinstalling the firmware and all the configuration from the beginning and use the external source itself to check if this is not the problem.  

I will perform the procedure and post the result.  

just a question ... if i do the procedure in dfuse will i lose the activation key? 

because the plasma display would work and pin2dmd wouldn’t, I’m sorry but I didn’t understand why this reason.  Aren't they basically the same connections and voltages?  

thank you very much for the lucky1 effort and apologize for any inconvenience.  

and I hope that today I can solve it.  

I'm really hoping this will end well.  

thank you

8 hours ago, kbueno said:

Anyway, if this could be related to the realpin power supply that I thought I had already discarded because the display turned on only that it was stuck on the PIN2DMD logo, so I didn’t measure the 5v amperage, but today I will do  the test with an external 12v 5A source to answer this question.  

I don´t think the 18V is the problem, but on Sega games the 5V is often very bad and is critical. If it is below only a little the Sega display controller will reset constantly.
That is why I asked you to measure the 5V at the connector to the Sega display controller.

just a question ... if i do the procedure in dfuse will i lose the activation key?

The activation key will be the same like before when you reinstall the XL software.

because the plasma display would work and pin2dmd wouldn’t, I’m sorry but I didn’t understand why this reason.  Aren't they basically the same connections and voltages?  

The problem is not about voltages but about signal quality. A plasma display displays what it gets no matter if the signal quality is bad or good. PIN2DMD needs a good signal quality to process the images. 

On 10/2/2020 at 1:15 AM, lucky1 said:

I don´t think the 18V is the problem, but on Sega games the 5V is often very bad and is critical. If it is below only a little the Sega display controller will reset constantly.
That is why I asked you to measure the 5V at the connector to the Sega display controller.

The activation key will be the same like before when you reinstall the XL software.

The problem is not about voltages but about signal quality. A plasma display displays what it gets no matter if the signal quality is bad or good. PIN2DMD needs a good signal quality to process the images. 

Hi Lucky1,

I came to give you the result of my experience and the final stage of testing my XL display.  

I will report what I did and the difficulties I encountered during the installation.  

first I want to thank Lucky1 for all their patience and support in helping to solve the problem and the colleagues who expressed it to the forum.  

I performed the installation from the beginning again, passed the firmware slowly from the beginning and some steps seem to have identified that it could be one of the problems.  

The file pin2dmd_xl.upd I renamed it to pin2dmd.upd and I believe that this was one of the factors that caused the problem in the installation of my display in the first moment.  

the correct thing is to use it the way it is.  another problem that I identified was that when I put a color file like the one available on some sites like maverick.pal I had problems with the display.  

the blue signal that flashes that I believe is a data signal was static and when I removed this file the blue light flashed steadily, showing that the display was responding to the data signal and the animations appeared on the screen.  

with this, I was able to make it work with the 18+ machine board connector itself, but MSF seemed to get stuck or fluctuating, I will still do tests with a separate source to see if it will solve the problem.  

but I'm already very happy with the result and knowing that the cards are working.

very grateful for your support.