Addressable led strip wiring

Hollywood

Can someone help on how I wire this to a teensy for a noob?

For example, which wire to 5 v power supply?  Which wire for ground on power supply?

i have a cat5 cable with a orange/whirte wire and a solid orange wire.  Which wires do these attach to?

i tried hooking it up myself but just got random lights in the strip to light so obviously I must have did things incorrectly.

Thanks in advance,

Lance

Ps my apologies if this has been covered already or if I posted on wrong spot.

524FDE3E-5E83-4D6E-A4D8-2E483F7AF8F5.jpeg

Can anyone give me suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

I have attached my led strips according to the guide and the strip partially lights.  In addition, I ran the basic test code and only the first led of the led strip changes colour.  

See the attached video.

Thanks in advance,

Lance

I uploaded the video to youtube if you don't want to download it. 

Link: 

IMG_9049.MOV

you connect the 3 wires in the socket but only use 2 of them so 

green data goes to orange (example)

white earth goes to orange/white (example)

the red doesn't need to be connected so if you use a female 3 wire joiner you just put a end on it make it safe

the 2 external wires you connect to 5v so red is + and white is earth this is red black on pc power supply (yellow black is 12v)

the 3 wires in the connector can be on any of the colours so i used

1st orange - orange/white this in cab file would be first lot of numbers but in fact its on a matrix

you would use

2nd blue-blue/white 

3rd green-green white

4th is brown-brown/white

-<TeensyStripController>

<Name>TeensyStripController</Name>

<NumberOfLedsStrip1>448</NumberOfLedsStrip1> my matrix

<NumberOfLedsStrip2>144</NumberOfLedsStrip2> left adressable strip

<NumberOfLedsStrip3>144</NumberOfLedsStrip3>  right adressable strip 

<NumberOfLedsStrip4>32</NumberOfLedsStrip4> these are 32 leds rings x2  and also 2 strips of leds 32 long under cab so even though 128 leds teensy see them as one set of 32

Hello Startrek2.

Thanks for your reply.  I have my green wire connecting to orange (CAT) and white wire connecting to orange white (CAT).

I am not using the red wire that was connected to the green and white wire.  There was a separate power connection black and red which I wired directly to my power supply.  

So it appears that I have it wired as you suggested.

I have red power wire to v+ and black ground wire to v- on power supply.  The power supply seems to be hooked up right as the green light turns on when I plug it in.

I haven't checked the power with a multimeter.  Would this be the next step?  

Anyone else see anything wrong with the set up?  I think I have it hooked up right as the basic test is changing the first led colour.   However obviously the rest of the lights are not lighting.  Could the problem be with the basic test Arduino code that I am using?  I saw a youtube video where they used this code to light the entire strip.  Do I need to modify something in the code maybe?

Also could this issue be caused by my soldering of the teensy?  

Thanks,

Lance

Have you bridged pins 15-16 On teensy 

and have you loaded the teensy hex file for dof 

The simple strand test should light them all just you need to change Poss amount if you got 144 and the instruction only asks 50 only the first 50 lights 

Also could this issue be caused by my soldering of the teensy?   You never know, Try this for the hell of it...

Disconnect your positive and negative from the 2 wires
On your 3 wire have the red hook to your positive..
From your cat 6 have the Orange hook to the data wire...
Have you Orange/white stripe hook to the negative along with the negative from the supply..
This is how I have mine...

Archived