Merging Sound and Regular Roms

DCrosby

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, I've been told that Phantom of the Opera pinball used to (VP9) not have it where it "Hung" on the notes being played by the DMD, and  slowing things down for the match to complete by a factor of 10 or more.

I downloaded a new package on this site :  

Which is older than the originally posted 3.2 version. The issue being the table VB Script shows this : Const cGameName="poto" so no version is implied, yet when I rename poto_32.zip to "old_poto_32.zip" and add the version 31 to the rom folder it won't run. So can you run with this rom? And does anybody know what the culprit is with the Phantom of the opera rom ? I remember seeing someone who had a faulty rom chip do this in an actual machine, and after re-seating it, it worked again? Could this be something to do with a random number function failing to get data or trying to access some RealTimeClock to get the time to generate random numbers for the match ?

I use the poto_32.zip With no problem

Try this

Leave this rom poto_32.zip  in the rom folder and not change the name

Then add this rom to the rom folder poto_a31.zip

And change to Const cGameName="poto_a31

Yeah, that sucks... I don't know where that's coming from, but I don't know that I have the brain space to start re-learning assembly and trying to debug this... Not to mention even if you could, signing the binary after the patch...

17 hours ago, DCrosby said:

Yeah, that sucks... I don't know where that's coming from, but I don't know that I have the brain space to start re-learning assembly and trying to debug this... Not to mention even if you could, signing the binary after the patch...

No signatures required here.   VPM and VPX are both fully open source and the distributed binaries are unsigned.    Most pinball ROMs do not have internal signature checks, in some cases VPM might poke hacks into code after they're loaded also.    As for the slowdown bug itself, I'm going to tag @mjr as he's pretty amazing with low level stuff like this.  

You might bring this up on VPForums too, I think a few of the VPM devs are only there. 

On 5/31/2019 at 6:32 AM, Thalamus said:

It is typically something that you could mention to the devs. Maybe they conclude that there is nothing they can do about it, or maybe there is. One thing I'm sure of. It will not be fixed if they are not aware. @fuzzel - @toxie - @DJRobX

Good point, I'm still learning how all this works, having only experienced the Arcade Mame world, the roms either work or they don't, I never had the experience where a dev, would support the rom specifically. :D Awesome community!

Archived