more newbie questions

erzak

Getting ready to install SAM and ran into a few things that didn't quite make sense.

I have a cabinet with a PinDMD3 in it, it's working fine under VPX 10.6 beta and Vpinmame 3.1

I downloaded SAMBuild 3.1, and in the archive there is the VPinMAME.dll which I understand I need to put in my VPinMAME directory.  There is also a PinMAME.exe, which I'm unsure what to do with, in my VPinMAME directory, I have a PinMAME32.exe file.  Should I rename this new one to match the old, or just copy it in there?

Am I better off sticking with SAMbuild 3.1 for now, since 3.2 is in beta?

And finally, to use color roms, say for The Avengers, I would need to download the color rom patch and then use bspatch on it?  And that will create the new rom file, ie. avs_170c, and then change the script to use that rom file?  I am able to run tables such as The Avengers and AC/DC now, but just not in color.  I'm assuming that that is the main difference between using VPinMAME 3.1 and SAMBuild 3.1?

Thanks,
Eric

About the colour stuff. Yes, you are correct.But, you also need dmddevice. You need Freezy's and you should pick 1.7.1 (1.7.2 has bugs where colour don't work ) or MJR' version of the same.

About updating pinmame. When you upgrade, just extract everything into pinmame overwriting what is there. Once done. Open folder, run setup.exe and press the install button, and your done.

This last release has some optimization to WPC sound. Its been ages since that has been touched but so far it looks like a good change. But, there are a lot of tables out there. We currently can't be 100% sure that it is working great for them all. The ones I've tried though, has been great. So, I recommend taking the plunge.

Okay, I installed SAMBuild 3.1, Freezy 1.7.1 and put the new files in my VPinMAME directory.  I patched avs_170.bin to avs_170c.bin and zipped it up.  Changed the table's script to look for the color rom, and everything is still orange.  Did I miss a step someplace? 

Okay, still a little confused here.  Should I download and install VPinMAME_3_2_beta.zip from vpforums (dated 13 Jan 2019) and then also download SAMBuild_r4777.zip and apply that?
Thanks,
Eric

Still not working.  I updated with the files from SAMBuild_r4777.zip, ran setup.exe, clicked install, set default options, and then used the test function on the three roms that I've patched to color (Avengers, AC/DC, Star Trek LE).  No color in any of them, and I went to their options, and made sure "colorize" was selected.  I do see different shades/levels of orange, which I assume the color should change when the level changes.

I also tried copying the dmddevice,dll files that were in the PIN2DMD directory of the SAMBuild_r4777 archive into my main VPinMAME directory, but then I get the "PIN2DMD not found" error, even if I run setup/install again.

Is there someplace where a process is documented to install this?  These colorized rom patches do work with an actual hardware DMD, ie. PinDMD3, right?

Ha! Got it working.  It was operator error, more or less.  Outhere's suggestion of the rom patcher utility got me there.  I tried it to see if it did anything different than bspatch by command line, and then was looking at the files and thought "huh, what's this .pal file for?"  Googled it and found that I need to make a altcolor directory, etc. and put the .pal files in there, hadn't read that anyplace before.  Thanks for all the comments, etc.  Now to enjoy some color roms!  :)

Archived