Install Pin2DMD in a real machine

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider
3 hours ago, needavirus said:

How can I know if my +5Vdc connection can Handle 4A or more ?

Schematics ?

Yeah of course I measure it before connecting anything ?

Most machines don´t have that available that is why I recommend 12V with DC-DC converter.

2 hours ago, needavirus said:

And, another question,  I'm looking for components for shield,

I Cannot find the "Max232"

On my board it is a "UT232" but I can't find it.

But, i've find "MAX232CPE" Is this the good IC ?

Thanks ?

MAX232CPE is o.k.

• 3 weeks later...

hello

i have some problem with the v3.1 shield ( 5 units) .

now i use v1 shield + stm32f407 , colorprism 2.66  in my T2 ans in my AC/DC  , they work fine . 

i ordered some v3.1 shield (5) to update my game room  and make a new display for my demolition man 

but at the beginning,

all v3 shield don't work on T2  and on acdc  ( pinball with rgb display on my game room)

after checking the shield , i find a cutting wire between pinballdmd-09 and PA5 in the pcb . i strapped  .-->  now this v3.1 shield work in my T2  AND NOT IN THE ACDC , just the menu with "sam/stern "

normal or not ?

Capture.thumb.JPG.187cc3156aaea26f52b245c9b60f0a1a.JPG

other probleme .

when i use a v1 shield in the demolition man  , the display work fine  , with the same stm32 of t2 .

but i have a black screen or menu when i use a shield V3.1 (yets it work in the t2).

i try to swap the ribon cable between "dmd board" and the shield without susccess

is there any other problem on this v3.1

I tear my hair since february  

and in addition I burned a stm32 (the chip smoked when I made a mistake while checking the tensions on the stm), it is necessary now that I contact lucky1for a new key.

• Content Provider

There is no problem with the V3.1 shield. With version 3 of the shield a signal enhancer circuit (LS123) has been added for the clk signal to fix some rare sync problems with Stern SAM. You need to set the enhancer jumper to 2-3 to make it work. Jumper 1-2 is for backward compatibility to older firmware versions. To receive a replacement key i need a picture of the old STM board physically destroyed (e.g cpu ripped off)

Capture.thumb.JPG.187cc3156aaea26f52b245c9b60f0a1a.jpg

thanks for your reply

the jumper is ok  , 2-3 is closed .

the v3.1 shield don't work with my stern acdc and the williams demolition man .

i have no problème with a shield v1 ( same display and same stm32 )

i use a additionnal power supply 5v 10A

i use a sn74ls123n

regards 

so , 

i remove the jumper for testing on stern ACDC ---> it work great  ?! 

reminder :

t2 is ok with shield v1 and v3.1 

acdc is ok with shield v1 and v3.1 ( jumper removed)

demolition man ok with v1 , but NOK with v3.1 ( it is a mystery) ( with and without jumper)

i wish to try to understand why it is not ok on Demolition man wiht v3.1

regards

• Content Provider

If you remove the jumper it should not work at all. Did you modify the pcb ?

Please make pictures of your shield.

About DemoMan:

Could you please check wether U5 and U15 ICs are from different manufacturers on your DMD controller board ?

• Content Provider

Remove your wire bridge which is not needed when the jumper is set correctly.
Set enhancer setting to ON in onscreen menu and everything should work fine with jumper on 2-3

Onscreen menu access is described on pin2dmd.com

For DemoMan Problem try beta firmware from here 

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/beta/firmware/latest/V3 STM32F4 DISCOVERY

thanks for your reply

colorprism 2.66 and shield v3.1

i have cut the wire bridge : ( t2 and acdc work with wire bridge )

-- acdc work with jumper on 2-3 ,enhancer on or off

- T2 dont work  with and without jumper on 2-3 ,enhancer on or off ( if i connect the wire bridge , the display works with t2 video)

- demolition man dont work  with and without  jumper on 2-3 enhancer on or off

colorprism 3.00 and shield v3.1

i have cut the wire bridge :  ( nothing work with wire bridge)

-- acdc work with  jumper on 2-3 ,enhancer on or off, but without colorisation the screnn is black and white

- T2 work  with jumper on 2-3 enhancer on or off  but without colorisation the screnn is black and white

- demolition man work  with jumper on 2-3 ,enhancer on or off , i have not color file for test . 

colorprism 2.66 and shield v1 :

t2 , acdc , demolition man work fine

colorprism 3.00 and shield v1

t2 , acdc , demolition man work but are black and white

i think my v3.1 shield ( 5 units) are rotten . i buy these shield in february 2019 at the shop germangaming supplies

it is not the same that the first page of topic ( less references)

I doubt they are “rotten”, the series is from me as i checked on the number written on them.
I have ordered 100 of that series and I strongly doubt you got the only 5 of that series that are defective!

If you get signal from the pinball then how could the shield be defective?
How do you connect the signal from ac/dc to the v3.1 shield?

If you only get black and white then the reading of the palette doesn’t work maybe the sd card, the card reader or the palette is defective.

• Content Provider

ACDC is as expected except that the default settings seem to be messed up without colorization (Black / White).
Please send me a backup of all 3 SD cards to verify that. To fix it please delete the pin2dmd.dat from your SD card, go into the onscreen menu, reset the config and then set the devicemode to SAM.

T2 - It seems there is a problem with the LS123 circuit. Instead of soldering your wire bridge it should also work with jumper set to 1-2.

DemoMan - It seems your WPC DMD Controller has  U5 and U15 ICs from different manufacturers, which is causing this problem. I asked you above to check this.

If it all works with V3 beta firmware there is no problem with the shield.

so,

shield v3.1  colorprism 3.00

i have deleted the .dat  in sd card of acdc --> no change , black and white  display  after define device to stern sam .

i have deleted the .dat  in sd card of t2 --> no change , black and white  display after define device to bally/williams.

i dont undertstand why with v1 shield and colorprism 2.66 is ok  for t2 and acdc  , but nok with shield v3.1 " original" ( no wire bridge)

i have tested my v1 shield , the blue line is connected  , the testor say 220ohm between pinball-dmd-9 and PA5 , on shield v3.1 i have nothing between pinball-dmd-9 and PA5 without wire bridge . with the bridge -->220 ohms . normal?

i can send my shields for testing ? 

• Content Provider

Did you choose "reset config" in the onscreen menu ?

Like I said set the jumper to 1-2 and you have the same connection like your wire bridge.

I also explained to you that the clk signal is going through LS123 circuit when jumper is on 2-3. You can´t measure the LS123 with a multimeter.

yes , reset config ,  i choose device , and i save .  i have no colorisation , just the default vga palette, principaly black and white 

ok , now, i understand , jumper 1-2 is like my wire bridge.

i buy this  ; because it is not in my order germangaming supplies . is not good part ?

https://fr.farnell.com/texas-instruments/sn74ls123n/ic-multivibrator-monstable-16dip/dp/1470902?CMP=i-ddd7-00001003

• Content Provider

When you said black and white I thought you mean the white (greyscale) palette. VGA palette with black, red, cyan and white is o.k. as default.

The LS123 in the link is o.k.

You should set the firmware according to your hardware setup which means 

- LS123 installed - Jumper on 2-3 - Enhancer set to ON in onscreen menu

- LS123 not installed - Jumper to 1-2 - Enhancer set to OFF in onscreen menu

• 2 weeks later...

hello 

thank you for your support

now , it's ok with colorprism 3.00 and shield v3.1

with the jumper in good position

with the good setting 

with the good voltage 

with the good key on sd card.

i m happy.

i have a another remark ( colorprism 3.00 on stm32)

when i dump the video file with pin2dmd.exe (2.60)  i have only some "0" in the txt file .

090719_162605_pin2dmd_dump.txt

it 's ok with pin2dmd.exe (2.53)

090719_162507_pin2dmd_dump.txt

normal ?

regards

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, metwurcht said:

hello 

thank you for your support

now , it's ok with colorprism 3.00 and shield v3.1

with the jumper in good position

with the good setting 

with the good voltage 

with the good key on sd card.

i m happy.

i have a another remark ( colorprism 3.00 on stm32)

when i dump the video file with pin2dmd.exe (2.60)  i have only some "0" in the txt file .

090719_162605_pin2dmd_dump.txt 44.84 kB · 0 downloads

it 's ok with pin2dmd.exe (2.53)

090719_162507_pin2dmd_dump.txt 16.3 kB · 0 downloads

normal ?

regards

I will check

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!, Since last year I started to buy and regster the pin2dmd pieces, now I'm ready and trying to install it.

Now I have to connect  to the real pinball. I have a Gottlieb STFII, I have the file.key registered and two files of colorization inside the SD one .dat .pal .fsq

I have a 3.1 Shield and the nucleo STM32F407G When I plug the pinball nothing shows.

I don't know what to do if I have to bridge something or some files ara miiising on the SD.

Thanks for evertyhting

Archived