The Getaway - High Speed II 64 color Edition

• Content Provider

Here you can see the mask for the mountains creating a hash which triggers only the mountains,
the mask for the CPU car which triggers only the CPU car at that position and the mask for the player car which triggers
triggers only this specific position of the car. The 4th picture should be the result you get when all 3 hashes trigger properly.
Of course the mask used for the player car can also be used to trigger a CPU car if it is in that area.

hash1.png

hash2.png

hash3.png

result.png

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

@malenko In fact there are about 30 positions of the player car. I already added most of them to the LCM scene.

maybes its 9 positions and 5 sprites (45 total) I havent dug that deep.

You mentioned pasting new frames in at the end of the sequence for checking hashing, can I invent new frames to post in? for example:
fake.png.536d08dce947d84f6e199103c300efe4.png

This would allow me to color and hash the billboard on each side at the same time (this can never happen in game though)

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, malenko said:

This would allow me to color and hash the billboard on each side at the same time (this can never happen in game though)

You can´t hash 2 sprites at one time because you need 2 indivdual frames and hashes for proper triggering. I used the hover insert tool (CTRL-SHIFT-V) a lot to reuse the colorizations of the player car at different positions.

• Content Provider

ok Im going to give this a go.  But Im not going to start with the player car, Im going to try and do the road signs on the side first. I have figured out everywhere the background gets covered up by objects

base.thumb.png.1e61c659b7d36a4f26c82ce6c4436ced.png

As far as I can tell, I just leave the LCM first frame with that and everything else gets colored on top of it right?

As for making the frames, I didn't mean to hash both signs on the same frame, but just keep everything more organized with a fewer unique frames,  like have all 4 positions of the speed limit sign down both sides on the same frame, then just having that frame duplicated 8 times. Probably not worth the extra effort.

Anyways, gonna be a slow day at work, so wish me luck!

EDIT: Pro Tip everyone!  Hit next then back to save the frame changes before trying to apply a hash, because you'll lose what you just colored if you click the D-Mask box

• Content Provider

ok so I poked around a bit and before I commit a fuck ton of time, I uploaded my changes :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KxU2P7xZMC5avxnb2vx6kpG5PXp5UXYc 

Im hoping someone can test the exports. @lucky1 Can you tell me if I am doing it right? 
I did get rid of the grass on the sides, it causes WAY more issues that its worth and also eliminates masking and coloring the road lines.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, malenko said:

ok so I poked around a bit and before I commit a fuck ton of time, I uploaded my changes :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KxU2P7xZMC5avxnb2vx6kpG5PXp5UXYc 

Im hoping someone can test the exports. @lucky1 Can you tell me if I am doing it right? 
I did get rid of the grass on the sides, it causes WAY more issues that its worth and also eliminates masking and coloring the road lines.

In general you are doing it right, but I recognized that your masks have the shape of the part you are coloring. Is there a reason for that ? That is working but technically there is no need for that. A smaller area which is unique enough to trigger can be better if you want to reuse the mask.

3 hours ago, malenko said:

EDIT: Pro Tip everyone!  Hit next then back to save the frame changes before trying to apply a hash, because you'll lose what you just colored if you click the D-Mask box

Fixed in the next release ?

• Content Provider

Its hard to put into words but it'll make it easier to color all the overlapping objects without the colors overlapping. If the objects never overlapped I'd use smaller specific masks like you did.

Taking your pictures up there as an example, if the player car was in the middle lane the bottom of that car would be cut off, same issue if the CPU car is in the right lane.  Im sort of over engineering this to prevent any weird graphical issues.  If you look at my sign mask, it checks that the sign is there and ignores the CPU car area. The mask will work for all 3 sign variations and CPU and Player cars wont get detected.  While that leaves part of the sign uncolored when there isnt a cpu car , when I make the cpu car mask, I'll also trigger a hash for when there is no car there but there is a sign, and color in that part of the sign using the cpu car mask as a hash.

It probably wasnt what you had in mind when you made this, but I swear it makes sense in my head.

I can probably photoshop a better visual when I get home.

Is there a away to delete hashed objects or does changing the mask delete them?

• Content Provider
12 hours ago, malenko said:

Its hard to put into words but it'll make it easier to color all the overlapping objects without the colors overlapping. If the objects never overlapped I'd use smaller specific masks like you did.

Taking your pictures up there as an example, if the player car was in the middle lane the bottom of that car would be cut off, same issue if the CPU car is in the right lane.  Im sort of over engineering this to prevent any weird graphical issues.  If you look at my sign mask, it checks that the sign is there and ignores the CPU car area. The mask will work for all 3 sign variations and CPU and Player cars wont get detected.  While that leaves part of the sign uncolored when there isnt a cpu car , when I make the cpu car mask, I'll also trigger a hash for when there is no car there but there is a sign, and color in that part of the sign using the cpu car mask as a hash.

It probably wasnt what you had in mind when you made this, but I swear it makes sense in my head.

I can probably photoshop a better visual when I get home.

Is there a away to delete hashed objects or does changing the mask delete them?

As long as it works, there is no problem. The only reason why I´m saying it, is because it is possibly a waste of resources if you use more masks than needed. Less used masks means faster detection = better performance.

I don´t understand what you mean with hashed objects maybe colored sprites ? SImply overwrite the area with color 0 deletes the colors. I used the rectangle tool for that purpose. You can then colorize a different sprite in the frame and assign a new hash.

• Content Provider

Hashed Object = when you click the create hash button. I dont see where the data is saved to remove hashes.  Changing the mask sets it to blue so I thought that meant its deleting all the hashes for the old mask.

The overlap is what is getting me.  What happens when the player car is covering part of the CPU car?  Does the yellow CPU car over write the red player car? Same with when the CPU car is covering a sign. What happens when the big billboard is partially covered by a CPU car which is also partially covered by the player car? :)  Thats what I was trying to avoid happening. Masking it the way Im doing it is a ton more work and a ton more hashes but the same number of masks as your way (just a bigger mask with funny shapes)

• Content Provider
On 12/16/2019 at 4:41 PM, lucky1 said:

lcm.png

Just now, malenko said:

Hashed Object = when you click the create hash button. I dont see where the data is saved to remove hashes.

Look at point 4 of the picture above to check which hash is assigned. It is stored together with the frame.

Just now, malenko said:

The overlap is what is getting me.  What happens when the player car is covering part of the CPU car?  Does the yellow CPU car over write the red player car? Same with when the CPU car is covering a sign.

That is determined by which of the 4 color blocks you use. Block 4 overwrites all blocks. If block 2 overlaps with block 3 you get these pixels also colored wih block 4. 
So choosing block 4 for the player car is the best way. CPU car covering a sign could be catched by a dedicated sprite for that. Not so many combinations for that I think.

• Content Provider

Lets say I pick "set hash'  but then I change the colors or something, how do I over write the old hash?   I can see the number but there's no list like there is with keyframes, thats what Im talking about

• 4 weeks later...

Going off topic a bit, it's taken me a few weeks to get around to this, but I have started a new project and I have to say @lucky1 the changes you made in line with my requests are really, really appreciated; the new fill actions are just great, I wish I had these for the fkin move your car mode on CFTBL. I am finding some issues when I do vpin exports with the version in your goggle drive above and running these on VPX (replace scenes are replacing, but only show the last frame of the sequence), but I wonder if maybe my installed DLL is out of date. Running 3.05 firmware, if I export the same project in an older version of the editor (ie. 2.5.0.6 from steve's repo) then it works as expected.  I also notice the behaviour of the frame Delay field is different between the two versions of the editor (older version seems to respect it better). I know this isn't the place to raise bugs, but in terms of latest version might want to check those out.

Regardless, the changes are really really really great and going to help save a lot of time, so thank you!

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, slippifishi said:

Going off topic a bit, it's taken me a few weeks to get around to this, but I have started a new project and I have to say @lucky1 the changes you made in line with my requests are really, really appreciated; the new fill actions are just great, I wish I had these for the fkin move your car mode on CFTBL. I am finding some issues when I do vpin exports with the version in your goggle drive above and running these on VPX (replace scenes are replacing, but only show the last frame of the sequence), but I wonder if maybe my installed DLL is out of date. Running 3.05 firmware, if I export the same project in an older version of the editor (ie. 2.5.0.6 from steve's repo) then it works as expected.  I also notice the behaviour of the frame Delay field is different between the two versions of the editor (older version seems to respect it better). I know this isn't the place to raise bugs, but in terms of latest version might want to check those out.

Regardless, the changes are really really really great and going to help save a lot of time, so thank you!

I will have a look. Thanks for your feedback.

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, slippifishi said:

I uploaded a version which should fix the vpin export here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18wNl_JbPW4XbvLkJQbT_s_DhHZqwq9CI?usp=sharing

The delay display was changed because of this issue https://github.com/sker65/go-dmd-clock/issues/122 Can you give me an example where I can see what you mean ?

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, malenko said:

is GIF export still hit or miss?  I keep getting single frame 6kb empty black screens on single frame exports, and larger empty black screen on sequence exports.

GIF export should work in my version

• Content Provider

58 minutes ago, malenko said:

Im using your version right before the VNI update up there^    

Just tested it and worked like expected. Which version of the editor W32/W64/OSX? Did you try the latest version ?

Edit: I uploaded a new version which allows gif export in original pixel size (e.g.128x32). Before it was 384x96 as minimal export size.

• Content Provider

Win10,  x64 editor, I always export with size 8 dots.  I'll try the latest build at a later date.   It just started happening when I started testing the video mode editor, which I need to finish doing for this game.