The Getaway - High Speed II 64 color Edition

• Content Provider
On 11/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, Wob said:

Awesome work mate, a pleasure to help along the way. I too dream of a future update with some for of sprite colourisation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

There is already a colorization mode called "Colormask Layered" which was added to address scenes like the video mode.  Unfortunatelly it is currently not supported by freezy´s dll.

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, lucky1 said:

There is already a colorization mode called "Colormask Layered" which was added to address scenes like the video mode.  Unfortunatelly it is currently not supported by freezy´s dll.

I have a real pin, is it supported on real pins?  Is there any sort of guide to use it?  I remember seeing something about it using getaway frames in the example but it was never fleshed out.  Download the files from my G drive, there's over 220 colored frames for the video mode, and get me started and I'll flesh out the rest.  

If I remember the example correctly, it was based around the player car location and colored around that?

• Content Provider

Yes it is supported on real pins andvpins with my dmddevice.dll. I had a look at your colorization of the video frames and I´m sorry that you can´t use it that way. However you can copy the colorization and reuse it for layered colormask. You need a single scene with a collection of frames with all positions of all sprites you want to colorize. In Getaway this means e.g. all possible positions of the car on the road. No other parts should be colorized in these frames. Each sprite needs a extra collection with individual unique triggers. PIN2DMD will then take all frame with matching triggers and copy them together in the resulting frame. e.g One frame triggers and colorizes the mountains only and another colorizes the car in the middle lane. Other frames with e.g. the car on a different lane are ignored. This results in a frame with the mountains and the car colorized. I will try to put an example together for you to get you started.

• Content Provider
48 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Yes it is supported on real pins andvpins with my dmddevice.dll. I had a look at your colorization of the video frames and I´m sorry that you can´t use it that way. However you can copy the colorization and reuse it for layered colormask. You need a single scene with a collection of frames with all positions of all sprites you want to colorize. In Getaway this means e.g. all possible positions of the car on the road. No other parts should be colorized in these frames. Each sprite needs a extra collection with individual unique triggers. PIN2DMD will then take all frame with matching triggers and copy them together in the resulting frame. e.g One frame triggers and colorizes the mountains only and another colorizes the car in the middle lane. Other frames with e.g. the car on a different lane are ignored. This results in a frame with the mountains and the car colorized. I will try to put an example together for you to get you started.

That'd be awesome.  I knew the way I did it wouldn't work, I was just killing time. I did make a quasi video mode in the gogle drive files, I havent updated the files here yet cause the last 2 times I said it was final , it wasnt. I redid the video mode screen and mask to eliminate the cars being brown upon entry. and even that was like 15 frames and masks.

• Content Provider

I uploaded a project on your google drive where you should be able to see how you need to colorize the scene with layered colormask.

You should also be able to see how I plan to trigger the sprites when you look at the D-Masks . These D-Masks are loaded when the scene starts.

Although not limited in the editor you only have 10 D-Masks (0-9) available for a LCM scene.

This scene has currently no keyframe assigned and therefore not loaded during gameplay.

test.gif

• Content Provider
25 minutes ago, Pinballuser said:

sorry for the thread hijack

but do Color Mask Sequence scenes  work on the current version of the editor

I tried to use it based on your Youtube tutorial (using a much older version of the editor)

but the masks I made where not saved.

download the source files for this game and look how I did stuff.  @cb3 did a great tutorial, and @NetzZWerg did a great Youtube video tutorial. I use color masks ALL THE TIME. LW3 was done almost entirely with color masking.

@lucky1

Ive changed my wording from the PM to be a little more clear.

Judging by uploaded files, you used 4 masks:

Mask 0 player car in the middle lane, and between the middle and right lanes , and middle and left leans
Mask 1 player car to the right of whats covered in mask 0
Mask 2 player car to the left of whats covered in mask 0

So those take care of the player car frames

looks like masks 3,4, and 5 would take care of the CPU cars
And the masked used for the player car at the bottom can also be used for the CPU cars in the outer lanes.

I suppose 2 more masks will could cover the signs on the sides.

Here are the parts I'm unclear on:
Biggest question is what happens when the sprites overlap?
There are times when The player car is over lapping a CPU car, and at the same time a CPU car is overlapping a sign.
The signs *always* overlap the mountains, and the first frame of the CPU cars also always overlap the mountain.

While there are over 50,000 possible combinations for the video mode, there's only about 75 combinations of car overlaps and about 40 car over laps with signs on each side.
Sounds a little daunting but Im more than willing to color a couple hundred sprite combinations for a colorizaed video mode over a few thousand video frames.

Do I need to have a D-Mask there to trigger the player car alone, the cpu car alone, and the 2 cars overlapping like in the frame?
Frame 32 of your uplaoded video mode layer is a good example. If the player car is further left the entire CPU car would be there and colored and you can see the billboard overlapping the mountain

Lastly, how is this supposed to get triggered? I have no idea how to make of of this work with triggering.

Once I get a grasp of what to do I'll try to do a nice write up with tons of pictures. I just dont quite understand how to make it work.

I used your  LW3  as a guide to learn how to color projects,  I figured I would end up with the same project given that 

As a learning experience,  I color Aaron Spelling   a reskin of LW3

but I ended up redoing the project form the ground up

I know how color masks work and how to create the proper frame triggers

but take a look  at the project

https://mega.nz/#!R5FCjSiA!7X6GZ0s3-R8otAl8UEher8zM604s4MqGvb_4lZQQcws

especially at scene named "Down the Drain01"

I can cut this scene into 28  individual frames using the color mask  and use the same D-mask to create the keyframe

but this method will not always work.   I seen other similar scenes 

Moving object with dynamic content in the back.  Dynamic content that covers most of the screen

Scenes where you need to create an individual D-mask for each frame because the same (keyframe) mask will not work for all the frames ,  

I can't use 10-20 individual D-masks for one scene

Capture.PNG

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, malenko said:

download the source files for this game and look how I did stuff.  @cb3 did a great tutorial, and @NetzZWerg did a great Youtube video tutorial. I use color masks ALL THE TIME. LW3 was done almost entirely with color masking.

@lucky1

Ive changed my wording from the PM to be a little more clear.

Judging by uploaded files, you used 4 masks:

Mask 0 player car in the middle lane, and between the middle and right lanes , and middle and left leans
Mask 1 player car to the right of whats covered in mask 0
Mask 2 player car to the left of whats covered in mask 0

So those take care of the player car frames

looks like masks 3,4, and 5 would take care of the CPU cars
And the masked used for the player car at the bottom can also be used for the CPU cars in the outer lanes.

I suppose 2 more masks will could cover the signs on the sides.

Here are the parts I'm unclear on:
There are times when The player car is over lapping a CPU car, and at the same time a CPU car is overlapping a sign.
The signs *always* overlap the mountains, and the first frame of the CPU cars also always overlap the mountain.

While there are over 50,000 possible combinations for the video mode, there's only about 75 combinations of car overlaps and about 40 car over laps with signs on each side.
Sounds a little daunting but Im more than willing to color a couple hundred sprite combinations for a colorizaed video mode over a few thousand video frames.

Do I need to have a D-Mask there to trigger the player car alone, the cpu car alone, and the 2 cars overlapping like in the frame?
Frame 32 of your uplaoded video mode layer is a good example. If the player car is further left the entire CPU car would be there and colored and you can see the billboard overlapping the mountain

Lastly, how is this supposed to get triggered? I have no idea how to make of of this work with triggering.

Once I get a grasp of what to do I'll try to do a nice write up with tons of pictures. I just dont quite understand how to make it work.

First of all I did not say that this mode is working perfectly and all possible combinations can be covered.
It is just a new idea Steve and I implemented for testing. Let´s see how far we get with it. 

Given that they both trigger, the masks will both be applied, but I have no idea how it will look like. Just give it a try

Maybe we need to modify mask 1 a little that the cpu car gets detected at that place no matter where the player car is.

The scene is triggered by a kind of starting frame which then loads the additional D-Masks needed for the LCM scene.
This frame naturally needs to be at the beginning of the scene. In your case that is either the Video Mode text or the empty
street which is the first frame of the video mode. Assign that frame to the lcm scene just like you do it with colormask scenes.

Additionally you need a unique hash for each frame with a single sprite or area colorized. You do that by activating the appropriate D-Mask in the scene,
then select the hash and hit the "Set Hash" button. The assigned hash to that specific frame can be seen in the frame details to the left from the delay field.

As a first step I would try to catch all player car positions on the street, colorize them and see if that works.

Sorry that I don´t have the time to write detailed instructions but I think with the information you have now you can find your way through with all the experience you have.

• Content Provider

I also have the exact same problems like @malenko  described and I also had the issue with masks not being saved. Also even a simple LCM scene did not work ingame, so I gave up with those other modes, since nobody seems to be able to explain it to me over years now. And for me, my experiences didn´t help me at all yet, still have problems in basic understanding how these modes should work. But maybe that is only my lack of knowledge, would be happy to know what to do and would do a next tutorial for others. It would indeed be great to get a small simple project with one scene that will work ingame as well...

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, NetzZWerg said:

I also have the exact same problems like @malenko  described and I also had the issue with masks not being saved. Also even a simple LCM scene did not work ingame, so I gave up with those other modes, since nobody seems to be able to explain it to me over years now. And for me, my experiences didn´t help me at all yet, still have problems in basic understanding how these modes should work. But maybe that is only my lack of knowledge, would be happy to know what to do and would do a next tutorial for others. It would indeed be great to get a small simple project with one scene that will work ingame as well...

I feel exactly the same way. I dumped a couple hundred hours into the Getaway and I made a functional albeit kinda ugly mask that colors the mountain and score without coloring the CPU cars. That might just have to do. I dont want to ham fist my way through that only to have it not work.  I can always go back and try my hand at the video mode stuff later; or someone else can that's why I release the source files!

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, NetzZWerg said:

It would indeed be great to get a small simple project with one scene that will work ingame as well...

@malenko Please upload the latest version of the project to google drive and I will try to add a simple LCM scene with some positions of the car colorized.

• Content Provider

its uploaded under the regular source folder.  November 25th date stamp  You can either re-color the car or open a second pin2dmd editor with the partial video mode and copy/paste from there

I have an idea on how to make all the dynamic content work:
I wouldn't color in any part of the mountain that is subjected to dynamic content (signs or cars)
Content that covers the mountain will get triggered and colored per sprite, that would keep colored sections from overlapping

For example: When the speed limit sign goes by the uncolored part of the mountain would get colored in but the part that might get covered by the player or CPU car wont get colored in
                           When the billboard goes by, same thing
                           When the caution sign goes by, same thing
                           When no car or sign is there, it gets a hash trigger to color in that part of the mountain.

Since everything would be "sectioned off" there wouldnt be thousands of combinations only a few dozen for EVERYTHING

Its a lot more framing and work but I think a full video mode would be doable.
If you can do the player car, and a single CPU car making its way towards the bottom, Im pretty sure I can figure the rest out.  I just finished Gilligan's island (pending WOB finding anything uncolored) and I was relieved there was no video mode, even if there were 6 different match games ? 

EDIT: Your current DMasks wouldnt work. 
1 to the left below the gear to about 1/3rd the way down, same for the right below the score, just low enough to get the tops of all 3 signs and just high enough to not interfere with score/gear(2)

A slightly taller one than you already have at the bottom for the player cars ,used for player cars and CPU cars that are NOT covered by the player car (3)
a new one 1 pixel below the mountain down to above the player car in each lane (3) 
That's 8 total and should work. To note, the road lines would have to be 100% removed from all the masks to avoid that complexity nightmare

• Content Provider

I uploaded a working Layered Color Mask project to your google drive in the videomode folder.

I also copied the real pin  exports I used for testing in my HS2 to that folder. I had to remove all VideoMode Triggers

from you project. Test it yourself 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Hi,

I just uploaded my updated project to your g-drive. I used it to fix some problems with the editor and also add some new features to it. I catched almost all positions of the car and copied them together in the LCM scene. In previous versions you had to change to replace mode to copy single frames from a recording then add a new frame to the scene using Frame+ and paste the content from the recording from the clipboard.

To make it more easy I added CTRL+R to the copy functions. It simply replaces the current frame with the content from the clipboard. You still need to add a frame using frame+ button.

So now it is like FRAME+ in the scene-> CTRL+C in the recording -> CTRL+R in the scene to add e.g. a missing position of the car.

Triggering is done by enabling the D-Mask then selecting either hash0 or hash1 and pressing the Set Hash button below the hash selection.

Here is a video of it in action

So basically the steps to trigger a colorized sprite in ColorMask Layered scene are

1. enable D-Mask mode and draw a suitable mask to detect the sprite (e.g mountains to colorize the background)
2. select a hash from the upper 2 checkboxes. 
3. press Set Hash
4. Check the hash assigned to that frame.

lcm.png

• Content Provider

I uploaded a updated version of the editor for Win64 in your VideoMode folder. 

It now has a gradient tool, wich calculates the gratients between the first color 1 (normally black) and the last color in a color group (4 colors).
just select a color in a group and click the gradient icon (1 on the picture)

Hitting the "Del" (2) button when Keyframe-Detection-Mask mode is active and Mask is already used (red) will print you a list of where this mask is used.
This list is also copied to clipboard for further processing.

The "Smart" (3) checkbox enables the drawing of colors by preserving the original shades in replacement modes. Just like in ColorMask mode.
No need to switch between ColorMask and Replacement mode to do this anymore.

The ToolSize spinner has the following functions.

- for pencil is adjusts the brush size
- for line it draws dotted lines if > 1
- for floodfill it also catches pixels connected in the corners if set to 2 and changes the color of all pixels with this color if > 2

These features where requested here https://github.com/sker65/go-dmd-clock/issues/137

In general i tried to fix all bugs in the issue list https://github.com/sker65/go-dmd-clock/issues .

@NetzZWerg@slippifishi

@DJRobX Would be great if you could test and give me your feedback.

editor.png

• Content Provider

Thank you @lucky1 I will experiment with those new features on the roadshow project. Sounds really helpful... 

To the other topic about the driving scene:

Until now I don´t get the real benefit of these LCM mode, since we have the overlapping problem and that it doesn´t seem to be possible to trigger more hashes the same time. That makes me feel like no matter what mode we are using, we have to catch all possible combinations of the elements in single frames and trigger them ( I think @malenko mentioned that before, that would mean hundreds of possible screens). My experience is that for real pins I have to cut all animation scenes into single frames and trigger them seperately, to get the same result as on a vpin. You seeem to add frames to a scene in your example, so that is the opposite way, are there any test results from real pins yet?

• Content Provider

Im going to give the video mode a little more attention this weekend and then hopefully get my Pin2DMD installed in my Getaway for testing.  I think the LCM mode can catch multiple hashes at once, but it cant really overlay all the colored objects. Im going to cut the scene into small sections and see if I can get it to color the way it works in my head. I think the trick is going to be to make sure that any thing that is dynamic gets its own mask and section, its just really hard for me to explain it in words but I think if I get it working and you look at the source, it'll make more sense.

I'll try to explain piggie-backing off my video mode wall of text up there^^^^

So lets say I have 3 hash masks where the player's car is, I can use those to trigger all 5 positions of the players car.
While I do have to capture all 5 positions of the player car, it doesnt matter what road signs are on screen or where the CPU cars are.
3 more hash masks that cover the 3 lanes of the road at the top, I can use these to trigger the top 3 positions of the CPU cars , it wont matter where the player car is, or what road signs are on screen.
I can use the 3 hash masks for the player car to also detect the CPU cars at the bottom of the screen.

I can use 1 more hash mask on each side of the road to trigger the signs. 

For the left side it wont matter where CPU cars are , where the player car is, or the what road signs on the right are.

For the right side its the same except the left signs wont matter.

TL;DR you will have to capture each object but not every combination of objects.
Every combination over 50,000
Every object:
5 player cars
12 CPU cars
12 left side signs
12 right side signs

So 41ish? I may have to trigger the player car overlapping the CPU car near the bottom, in which case add 15 more.

Obviously other games may have more complex video modes but this is a start! Of course I could be totally wrong about this and look like an asshole :) 

• Content Provider

Yes I can follow your explaination about the masks (although I am not sure about the CPU cars on the outlanes since they seem to overlap the road signs and terrain )

I messed with many video modes to date, but this one seems to be really hard compared to them, because it uses the same color slot for each dot of all elements. For example the IJ Idol mode (running spiders) has over 350 single triggered frames because of a similar problem and to work that out sucks so bad :-), I guess we would need thousands here...

So if I get you right, the LCM mode is able to trigger and combine the different hashes the same time?

That's awesome lucky, thank you for sorting the feature requests - with the global frame + and - shortcut and the dotted line I will be a colouring machine!

Exciting stuff for sure; I am planning on fixing some bugs in TNG in the coming days, maybe there is hope for the video mode, and I think the above may also help me sort out the wormhole status - maybe all that work won't be wasted! :) Do keep us posted with your progress Malenko, I follow your logic and it seems sound ;)

• Content Provider

4 minutes ago, NetzZWerg said:

So if I get you right, the LCM mode is able to trigger and combine the different hashes the same time?

Exactly. 

LCM mode loads its own detection masks and has a hash for every sprite and every position of it.
It then applies every hash that matches and combines them in a single frame.