[New VP10 Alert] Cactus Canyon Continued (Bally 1998)

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, Mark70 said:

It seems that the links inside the ccc.bat are not working at the moment.
I think I can copy the stuff over from an old hdd. But for new Members I hope it will be working again.

Use the V3.4 Installer linked in this post:

Do not use the V3.1 Installer at vpinball.com as suggested earlier in this thread. It is out of date. You will need the wget helper app found in the "files" folder of the installer. Don't just extract only "Install CCC.bat" and try to run it without the wget helper app. Alternatively, you can copy and paste the links found in the contents of "Install CCC.bat" into your browser and update your assets and code manually.

I just tested the fresh install and update features of "Install CCC..bat" and it worked just fine. There have been a few posts/messages lately about the code and assets being inaccessible. I've never been able to reproduce. I've always been able to access the files. I'm no longer going to respond to messages about not being able to download the files. It's a waste of my time. It's not necessary to have VPUniverse host a copy of the code or assets. The game code source is freely available at Github, not an obscure site. The project author hosts all of the assets required on his own project page. He is ultimately the owner as far as I am concerned although he generously allowed the port for Visual Pinball to exist so that the community could benefit.

Good luck. 

• Content Provider

@outhere prefers the 3.1 P-Roc installer for it's specific P-ROC environment. According to him, 3.1 does not have the issue of the table crashing out of the editor when you try to quit. For me, that's not a dealbreaker. I don't maintain the files that install the Python/P-ROC environment. The files in V3.4 are the same as what Ninuzzu allowed me to distribute. WIth MBPC gone, there is no change log that documents what Ninnuzu changed with the installer from V3.1. I only maintain the "Install CCC.bat" file. The "Install CCC.bat" packaged with the 3.1 version will not work, though, as the links are out of date and no longer accessible.  

Been ages since I did this and I remember I had to take special care of my install because I personally program in perl and this has a mingw from python. What I remember though is that running Ninuzzu's installer from MB resolved issues that Dave ( horespin ) told me would be resolved running his routines. I haven't tried the 3.3 installer. I did get a notice from Carny in between releases to see if his routines was working. So at the moment I'm not 100% sure if I've got the latest to be honest. That is also why I didn't test and respond to you request about the missing train by the way.

I however would appreciate getting feedback from someone, re-installing from the ground up,  if only the latest is required or not. Would help a lot supporting new guys. Personally I'm not willing to dive deep on this since I've forgot the details around multiple mingw installed. Not before a proper backup at least and my backup is based upon simple tables and files. Not OS related stuff.

I indeed used the 3.3 installer from the download link page, thinking it would be the recent installer. I should have read the whole thread before.
Just tried the ccc.bat from 3.4 and it worked.
So now I am on proc installer 3.3 and ccc.bat from 3.4.
What I tested so far:
Editior ist not crasihing after exit
Fastflipps are working
Last call has only one ball liked described above

Not sure if there is a reason to install proc 3.4 now, what do you think?

• Content Provider

As stated in the original post: "For users that have already installed Python 2.7 version of P-ROC, there is no need to install it again. Nothing has changed with the P-ROC installer since V3.2 which was the version available at MBPC before they closed."

That is, I've made no changes to  

STEP 1 - Install Prerequisites.bat

STEP 2 - Install PROC.bat

since I started publishing the Installer here at VPUniverse. The only file that I have changed to reflect the availability of new/updated assets and game code is the file "Install CCC.bat". If you installed the P-ROC environment using V3.2 or greater then there should be no need to re-install. If you attempt to use the Install CCC.bat from versions prior to V3.4 then the downloads will fail because the project author no longer hosts older versions of his assets. You must use the Install CCC.bat from V3.4 to download the current assets.

Where is there a link to the V3.3 installer? It's not in the original post. I can change it if you can point me the way. Thanks.

• Content Provider
49 minutes ago, grunger106 said:

I've had CCC working happily for a few years now and it works great, what do I need to do to just update the assets/code (I'm assuming i don't need to upgrade the PROC instance?)
Just grab  the 3.4 package re-run the Install CCC batch file?

If you used some earlier version of Ninuzzu's installer then yes.

• Content Provider

If the version of the P-ROC installer was that old, you may want to reinstall the P-ROC environment as well. Did the old installer install Python 2.6? Do you still get the run-time error that used to happen when starting the table - happened with the install procedure from a few years back. Do you have issues with DMD frames not being displayed in color at all times? If no to any of these questions, and if you are perfectly happy with how the table has been playing then you probably don't need to update P-ROC. You can just run Install CCC.bat to be synced to the official project code. 

If you want fastflips support, you will need the updated table script -

https://github.com/sverrewl/vpxtable_scripts/blob/master/Cactus Canyon (Bally 1998) TTNZ v2.0.vbs

If you need support for displaying DMD on a p2k style cab or you want to use a Pin2DMD without needing dmdext, then you will need to download a code branch directly from the github repository.

Of course, if you are already happy with how the table plays then you don't have to update anything. That's the easiest choice! You never know what's going to happen if you try an update. Nothing is foolproof.

No problems as far as I know, no errors on startup - pretty sure its Python 2.7, so maybe I did this later than I thought, 2018 seems like a long time ago now!

As my cab isn't connected to any network, and was feeling lazy about digging out a long enough cable and getting at the NIC  ;) I had a read through the batch file and I can see what it does, so I thought I'd see if I could get the assets on one machine and then shunt them over to the cab on a flashdrive

What I actually did in the end was run the install CCC batch on my workstation let it grab the assets and then moved that folder over to my cab, backed up the user-settings yaml, renamed the existing game directory, dropped in the new one downloaded and dropped my settings file back over the top.

And yep I noticed the new script in your description, so I replaced the current scripts on both tables with that (setting the PROC flag obviously on CCC)

All seems to be working fine :)

One further question, is there any way to get 100% coverage of the DMD monitor - I've got it positioned on the DMD monitor (3 screen cab) and the x/y set so its in the middle with a pixel size of 9, which is as good as I could ever get, but the result is it pretty much fills the x axis, but there is a gap above and below it
If I increase the pixel size it over hangs in the x axis.
I've seen people where they do seem to have the DMD fully used, but they may be using Pin2DMD and a real DMD of course.

• Content Provider

There are a limited number of options for setting pixel size in the in-game menu settings, as you have seen. You will also need to adjust the resolution of your DMD monitor to achieve edge to edge coverage. I have three screens and I set the DMD monitor to 1280x720 for CCC. Native resolution is 1600x900 and is what I use for VPM and dmdext rendered virtual DMD.

Tried a new install of this today. I was running some version from mbpc that was using python 2.6 so I thought I'd try a clean install.

I ran the uninstall file. Then went to programs and made sure to uninstall anything python 2.6. Ran the rest of the install files. 

Everything works great but... All multiballs are only 2 ball and last call only gives me one ball. 

Unfortunately the old install files I had are now long gone. Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

Edit:

a buddy of mine had the 3.2 installer, gave that a go and all is working again.

now it's updated to python 2.7 and everything works as it should, however this was an installer from feb. 2018, so i ran "install ccc.bat" from the new 3.4 installer to get the updated assests and same thing is happening as before, 2 ball multiballs and 1 ball last call.

something somewhere is messed up, just can't figure it out!

• Content Provider

I'm not clear on the sequence of events you are describing where multiball and last call worked. You gave the 3.2 installer a go and the table is working for you. But the Install CCC.bat file from V3.2 can't work correctly because the assets that it calls for are no longer available. It would have given you an error. 

Or are you saying that you ran the 3.2 installer but did not update the game code and assets and multiball and last call were working as expected (i.e. old game code). Was that game code from Feb 2018? Take a look at the datestamps for the game.py file.

It sounds like this might be an issue with the game code and not the P-ROC environment. I'm essentially syncing to the author's official project code. Aside from DJRobX's fastflips solenoid, disabling the author's custom smart drop targets, and disabling logging instructions, the code for the port is the same as the official project code. May be a bug, but it may be an intentional change in the ruleset for whatever reason. Can't simply go by the project wiki either as he had to recently restore all of those pages from backup. They may not be up to date.

At least, trying to determine the last time multiball and last call worked should help me isolate which bit of code changed and I can then pass along the info or a patch to the project author.

Pretty sure I'm seeing this too and I've been down a similar path - I'm 90% sure last call was a two ball before I updated the code a few weeks back and I'm pretty sure it's one ball after dropping the new assets in.

I do have my original install (the whole P-ROC structure) saved as was though, so I can certainly check what I had when it was working and what I've got now in terms of timestamps.

I'll check it out later and get back to you.....

I looked at the last_call method in python and if you MATCH last_call starts. According to the code last_call autoplunges 3 balls so it should be a 3 ball multiball. I will have to see if I can MATCH on my cab and how many balls I get in the multiball.

# launch some balls
        self.game.trough.balls_to_autoplunge = 3
        self.game.trough.launch_balls(3)