[New VP10 Alert] Indiana Jones The Pinball Adventure (Williams 1993)

• Content Provider

Indiana Jones The Pinball Adventure (Williams 1993)

Indiana Jones - NZ&TT 1.2

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    03/10/2019
  • Category
  • ROM Name
  • Link to B2S
    http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/2186-indiana-joneswilliams1993/
  • Link to Media Pack
  • Permission to Mod
    Contact Author First.
  • VP Version
    v10

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@arngrim

DOF config seems to have a bug in 8 solenoid setup or at least for me that S34 is a solenoid burner. Noticed burning smell after couple of games and then started watching which solenoid gets stuck and at which point. After playing a bit more noticed it's the '8 Bumper back' solenoid. Checked that only S34 is configured for it. Manual says that's the minimotor of upper left corner, so assume it's the mini playfield banking. 10 solenoid setup in DOF config does not have S34 configured and that's why I've never noticed this before in as I just recently downsized to 8 solenoid setup as I switched to VR cabinet from 3 screen setup.

A bit OT but just want to say this as it's second time my solenoids burn because of config bug.
I've managed to set my vpin cabinet on fire earlier due to some DOF control bug. I mentioned about this some time ago on the forums and just got flamed for not doing proper job wiring my cab. That was until I proved where the problem was (can't remember the table that had the bug now). I was only asking for a watchdog timer to be included in DOF tool for these bugs. I don't think it's much asked especially considering the damage that can happen without it. Just a simple (optional) timer that monitors the solenoid outputs and cuts them if they're stuck on longer than the set maximum.

As a workaround I did build a monitoring circuit for my earlier vpin cab that monitored the actual mosfet state and cut the main 12VDC supply for my power board in case they stayed on too long. It monitored everything except flipper solenoids (that were dropped to lower load from pinscape during flipper hold). Will put that same circuit on my VR cabinet too anyway in case of mosfet failure, but still I really think that the SW should have some sort of fail safe too.

• Content Provider

sorry to hear that, thanks for the finding, the fact is 8 bumper back is a contactor that has no use anymore, i try to not forget to remove all entries of this toy for all the tables, but yeah i forgot to continue checking all tables, that's why i didn't pay attention to this S34.

besides, personally i'm not a big fan of solenoids, because of that burning issue, we could have a table issue that freezes all dof activities, including toys can being stuck, people that are in this hobby for a long time surely know what i'm talking about.

i don't know which controller you have but i think mjr made an option to imit the activity of a solenoid for his boards, or the kl25z.

Not blaming you @arngrim in any way. Grateful for your efforts and wouldn't expect you to maintain the configs for every table out there. The safety timer is just a suggestion to avoid burned down houses. Pinscape has a control for PWM outputs where you can set a lower duty cycle for the output after a certain time. I'm not utilizing the separate extension power board so I don't have PWM outputs for every solenoid and thus can't use it for all of them. It could be used but has the downside of not reporting user about the issue in any way.

I'm not a fan of solenoids either and actually started looking if I could implement a piece of code to VP source for a simple sine wave audio generator to drive a bass shaker at different frequencies. You know, similar way they do it for racing sims, as they're not using the actual audio track of the game for the shaker but rather generate the signal according to forces affecting the car / driver's seat. This would simplify the setup quite a bit and in addition offer a lot more versatile tactile feedback. This is of course only if one doesn't want to replace the canned solenoid sounds with the sounds from real actuators.

• Content Provider

well, you could do that with dof i guess, connecting a small shaker 12v for example to a board that is dof compatible, and that you can bind to toys of the configtool.

but shaking doesn't making making pulse noise like solenoids or contactors, small knocker sound, right?

Yes, like said it's no good if one wants to have the sound effect via real solenoids/contactors instead of the canned sounds. With a 3 screen setup real solenoids generating the sound (or surround speakers) make sense but with VR cabinet (stubby cabinet) canned sounds are ok for me at least.

Could use DOF for vibrations, but was referring to a speaker like shaker that you drive with audio amp. I guess it's easier to generate combined low and high freq vibrations with those vs eccentric rotary shaker. I mean generating all vibration feedback with the single (b)ass shaker device; ball rolling, ball hitting walls, bumpers, flippers etc. Surely it's not a biggie for you to add such feature, right? :D Just an option to choose audio output device and script command to send frequency, duration & amplitude commands for it ;) .

Yes, but having them as bass shaker optimized sounds and keeping the audible effects as separate and for another audio interface that would be output e.g. through vr headset or through second sound card. Racing Sims require two audio interfaces for this reason.

• Content Provider

Well, you could ask vp devs to add another audio output to vpx so you can redirect the mech sounds to drive your bass shaker, without disrupting the primary channels?

Envoyé de mon SM-G970F en utilisant Tapatalk

@sniiki I thought that the latest DOF 3+ from Mjr had some optimization for butt shaker ? You are running that version - not ? Personally, I've stayed away from the bass shaker simply because if I increase the volume on the cab as it is, ball starts to shake and jump. I've fine tuned the nudge so that if I put the volume just under max, it stays "solid".

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 7:16 AM, Thalamus said:

@sniiki I thought that the latest DOF 3+ from Mjr had some optimization for butt shaker ? You are running that version - not ? Personally, I've stayed away from the bass shaker simply because if I increase the volume on the cab as it is, ball starts to shake and jump. I've fine tuned the nudge so that if I put the volume just under max, it stays "solid".

Sry got busy with other projects and forgot to reply to this. No, I had not noticed this at all ?. Kind of unclear atm for me how it works but yeah, noticed it was mentioned in one sentence on mjr page. Nothing about how it's actually configured but I'll figure it out when I find some time. Quite sure I can't get SSF + headset audio working correctly tho so need to ditch the headset idea and add speakers to my stubby.

• 4 months later...

I’m having terrible ball stutter and it’s driving me mad..?? is there any options I could change 

have hundreds of other tables and this is the only one giving me trouble..

playing in cabinet mode and loved playing this game when it was released in the 90’s please help me I dying to get it playing properly 

1 hour ago, mozzie67 said:

I’m having terrible ball stutter and it’s driving me mad..?? is there any options I could change 

have hundreds of other tables and this is the only one giving me trouble..

playing in cabinet mode and loved playing this game when it was released in the 90’s please help me I dying to get it playing properly 

What does the game do if you run it without the back glass

Morning outhere I’m new to all this but have narrowed it down a little the file from here if I put it in it’s place in visual pinball it gives me a backglass within the file I guess and plays a little glitchy....but if I move it to desktop or cabinet play field and load there is no backglass and it plays perfect woohoo just like the original...

question why does a backglass come up..

as I added a backglass to the file originally as I thought that is what you do and it glitched reel bad

• 4 months later...
  • Content Provider

Hello. Hope someone can help. I’ve been all over the internet and no one seems to have the answer. How do you activate superball with this table? I’ve searched the script and cannot find anything. Megnasave buttons do not do it either. Thoughts? 

4 hours ago, kapterb said:

Hello. Hope someone can help. I’ve been all over the internet and no one seems to have the answer. How do you activate superball with this table? I’ve searched the script and cannot find anything. Megnasave buttons do not do it either. Thoughts? 

what's superball ?