Can we please use download section for Colorizations?

6 hours ago, lucky1 said:

May I ask the authors another favour ? It would also be great if you would share the dumpfiles of your projects here that others can start their own colorizations and don´t have to get recordings of all scenes again. There is already a section for this here

I have quite a large collection of dump files, from games I colored or have toyed around with coloring...lol

I will combine and upload those when I have a chance!

8 hours ago, NetzZWerg said:

It feels like I have to reconsider in the long run if or how I will proceed with sharing my works in the future, because this kind of behaviour feels like people don´t care about my wishes (and they are not such unreasonable I think) and I pointed that out on each of my posts. I also had some discussion about having a donation button, because some people seem to be upset even about that, no matter if I provide the files for free at the end. So maybe this is not my world and I begin to understand why other content providers that stopped their work or at least the sharing of it...

I am sorry to read this friend, but like I said I can understand your position. I hope you will think long about any such decision; I can honestly say you were a big inspiration to me, when I first started colouring some months ago it was just before your TOTAN release and it blew me away, to the extent I stopped colouring for a while and abandoned my first pass at TNG because it was just so impressive I thought I could never match your quality. And the same goes for the other artists here, all the released projects are stunning and add a whole new dimension to the game play - not only to I have to contend with being a crap player, now I have to try and contend with myself watching the DMD and not the playfield!

It sounds like perhaps conversations between the respective webmasters may resolve this anyway, but whatever you choose NetzZWerg, I hope that you will continue to keep us updated with your projects and progress, if only to inspire more artists, and provide some way for us to continue to benefit from your work, even if it does cost a few beers, it is a price worth paying.

8 hours ago, lucky1 said:

May I ask the authors another favour ? It would also be great if you would share the dumpfiles of your projects here that others can start their own colorizations and don´t have to get recordings of all scenes again. There is already a section for this here

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/category/94-rom-frame-dumps/

I think cb3 alluded to the fact this is not always so clear cut; demo man had about 15 separate dumps, and I lost count for TNG (though I did start with the dump from VPU I must admit). But for sure I can upload a "general gameplay" type dump for each of my projects, it wouldn't' contain EVERY scene, but certainly a good amount of stuff to get someone started - I will sort that out this weekend.

• Content Provider
25 minutes ago, slippifishi said:

I think cb3 alluded to the fact this is not always so clear cut; demo man had about 15 separate dumps, and I lost count for TNG (though I did start with the dump from VPU I must admit). But for sure I can upload a "general gameplay" type dump for each of my projects, it wouldn't' contain EVERY scene, but certainly a good amount of stuff to get someone started - I will sort that out this weekend.

Just pack all the dumps used in your project together in one zip and upload them.

• Content Provider

I have to agree I find the linked post pretty disrespectful, He even includes a pack with everything, but the layout might be a good start, finding all the colour patches is like a black art.

I do hope all the authors do focus on the good users, so many hours go into so many aspects of this hobby, and some are super generous with their time, there are a few bad eggs for sure, but overall it's a great community with some really good people.

6 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Just pack all the dumps used in your project together in one zip and upload them.

That could be a bit daunting for some, the process @NetzZWerg and I have come up with, and now used with @slippifishi, is that I do a dump and video with each test, this produces a synced video and dump to make finding issues in the dump easier. End result is a heap of dumps, plenty of repeated scenes and sometimes a whole dump just for a few missing frames.

I'll take a look at my back catalogue for size, if anyone is after a particular dump I'll try and produce something if time permits.

Wob

38 minutes ago, slippifishi said:

All,

You can combine .txt files....our dumps are luckily in this format.  Do a quick google search on how to combine .txt files, it's very simple and I have used them in the editor with no problems after combining.  This is also useful if you are searching for just a few frames you can keep the dump files smaller this way.

• Content Provider

I could do that, but it would result in multiple hours long dumps and lots of repetition, it would be nice if you could dedupe scenes somehow.

I also think the synchronised videos help during a project, maybe @NetzZWerg and @slippifishi can comment on their side of the process.

HI guys

The difficulty from finding the colorfiles was the kick off why i just started with pin-display.ch website. Its taking me a lot of time searching for the files for my Pins, because i want all in all 7 Pin2DMD Displays and still i think that there are more out there witch i havent found.. So i ordered 20 evo boards and made the dicision to make a homepage with all files. where a pinhead like me can find all on one homepage with no other function as what is needed: the display and the files. Of course all only with the artists agreement. Everybody can also WITHOUT BUYING A DISPLAY use the homepage. When you click the name of the PIN a contact form will open & sends directly a mail to the artist. I think then the chance for a donation is also biger because its a direct contact and the artist has more control where the files go to. I already have some artists who are in to it but some are distrustful so that i will also make a link to the download section here if the admins are ok with that.

The website is`nt finished yet but feel free to have a look. I Know that there are existing lists in different forums but still by far not as easy to find as on my website.

Everybody who thinks: just an other di** trying to make money. Im fine with that and accept it. But also believe that working 1 hour a day more on my job would bring me much further as selling Pin2DMD Display ;)  I love the work and ideas from Lucky1 & the artists and i loooooove pinball..! ?

Cheers & greets from Switzerland

The synced videos are game changing for sure, especially when tracking down missing triggers. As we neared the end of TNG there were maybe one or two scenes per 30 or 40 minute dump that were useful or hadn't been picked up in previous dumps. Removing duplicate frames might reduce the amount slightly, but anything with a score in it will never match up so it might not work out to be that much.

I will also add that I have sometimes used both txt and raw formats - neophob's browser tool at https://playfield.dev/ dumps to raw, and I don't know that these can be appended together so easily. If merging is possible or worthwhile then I will do it, but in my opinion, having a single general gameplay dump is the best starting point. It might also be a bit misleading or daunting - my TNG dumps come in at 136mb over 31 files, but I bet something is missing/these are still not complete...

At the top of each frame in the txt dumps there is what I assume is some kind of time index, eg: 0x2eaff4dd. Would these numbers ever clash if we appended dumps together, and if so, what would be the consequences? I wonder what the maximum length of dump the editor can work with

46 minutes ago, Wob said:

I could do that, but it would result in multiple hours long dumps and lots of repetition, it would be nice if you could dedupe scenes somehow.

I also think the synchronised videos help during a project, maybe @NetzZWerg and @slippifishi can comment on their side of the process.

Do you know how to cut and edit your dumps?  If you are just looking for a particular frame to dump once you get it triggered end your game and edit your dump file to just have that scene in it, then you can combine multiple dumps into smaller files containing just the scenes you need, I do this after I get into a project where I need just a frame or alternate animation from scene I may not have gotten in my main dump files...just a suggestion.

3 minutes ago, cb3 said:

Do you know how to cut and edit your dumps?  If you are just looking for a particular frame to dump once you get it triggered end your game and edit your dump file to just have that scene in it, then you can combine multiple dumps into smaller files containing just the scenes you need, I do this after I get into a project where I need just a frame or alternate animation from scene I may not have gotten in my main dump files...just a suggestion.

Yes I do this often, then append them into a single "manual_dump" file and rezip it up; as long as you paste them onto the end you can just use that single file in the editor and it will read the new frames next time you open it. The number of good games I have had to waste because a super rare screen appears!... But where Wob has been providing dumps, these are often about 30 minutes long, and If I want a frame from "somewhere in the middle" it is not always simple to find in a text viewer.

To be honest I wouldn't expect Wob to do that task anyway, the videos and dumping he does is already an awful lot of effort, and to then try and trawl through the files to hunt out the scenes I have asked him to focus on would be asking too much. Unless, Wob, you fancy an extra task? ;) 

16 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

I've notified the PincabPassion admin. They are good people there, so I think that this can get resolved pretty quickly.

All mega links have been removed from my post and replaced with source . accept my apologies. all sources of all colorizations were all cited each time under each image for info , I made a mistake, but it was much easier for members of the forum and much more convenient to have everything on a page that dispatcher on several pages, sorry for everything

• Content Provider
On 3/10/2019 at 1:33 PM, death69inc said:

would we be getting a section in downloads for this?  tables, roms and backglass all i see in download tab.

I def agree. Maybe I am missing something, but I also think that it would be a good idea to give the colorizations an own tab within the downloads dropdown menu and an own site. Is that possible?

• Administrators
16 hours ago, NetzZWerg said:

I def agree. Maybe I am missing something, but I also think that it would be a good idea to give the colorizations an own tab within the downloads dropdown menu and an own site. Is that possible?

You ask and it shall be done. Colorizations now have their own dropdown from downloads.

• Content Provider

@Dazz Thank you, in my opinion this looks much better. I already sent a report, because I messed up my posts and now it seems to be like a double post, are you able to fix this and remove the update? This happend when I was not able to change the screenshots and tried to use the update function.

Update: now also messed up my next posts lol.  I am not able to add the screenshots to MB, I forgot to add them in the first try. Now I only have the possibility to update, but that will again result in that double post. Sorry, seems like I am too tired today.

• 3 weeks later...