Can we please use download section for Colorizations?

• Administrators

I've noticed that a lot of the completed colorizations are being linked to via other hosts. Can we please start uploading these here to the site instead? This way there is version control and people are able to follow files for when they are updated.

Thanks.  

3 hours ago, Dazz said:

I could probably change the section name, but that's perfect for it.

you should should also  split it into 2 sub sections

• Color roms -->  SAM patches
  • PIN2DMD editor projects

this might fix the confusion some people have thinking that they need to modify the rom when using PIN2DMD editor projects

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Pinballuser said:

you should should also  split it into 2 sub sections

• Color roms -->  SAM patches
  • PIN2DMD editor projects

this might fix the confusion some people have thinking that they need to modify the rom when using PIN2DMD editor projects

Ok, made some changes to categories for Color ROM downloads.

We now have the following:

Color ROM's
-- SAM - Color ROM Patches
-- Pin2DMD Colorizations - Virtual Pinball
-- Pin2DMD Colorizations - Real Pinball

• 2 weeks later...

I did not give them explicit permission, no; and they spelled my name wrong ? I am not so bothered about them reposting my files, there is at least a link to the VPU threads where appropriate, but I understand why this might frustrate some of the other colour artists. I'm not sure what the solution is though :( 

2 hours ago, NetzZWerg said:

It is a bit sad that they don´t respekt my wish to not share my files or upload them elsewhere or at least asked me. Did the other authors give them permission to do so?

No, I was never asked either.  I didn't even know that site existed.  Unfortunately once we share our work it's out there for all and I'm not sure there is much we can do to stop it.  My concern has always been other people or websites profiting off of the work we do.  I've always preferred that my stuff stay on this site as this is where I began and really the only site I visit, I like the crew here!  lol

• Content Provider

I found out about that site last week or so and I simply liked the way it looked. I´m totally with you that it should be your decision were the files should be and where not but although I check this site regularly it is hard to keep track about your project. One posts his files in the thread another in the download section and the third a shared cloud drive etc. I just like the idea of a single point where someone can find all the colorizations available. 

May I ask the authors another favour ? It would also be great if you would share the dumpfiles of your projects here that others can start their own colorizations and don´t have to get recordings of all scenes again. There is already a section for this here

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/category/94-rom-frame-dumps/

• Content Provider

It feels like I have to reconsider in the long run if or how I will proceed with sharing my works in the future, because this kind of behaviour feels like people don´t care about my wishes (and they are not such unreasonable I think) and I pointed that out on each of my posts. I also had some discussion about having a donation button, because some people seem to be upset even about that, no matter if I provide the files for free at the end. So maybe this is not my world and I begin to understand why other content providers that stopped their work or at least the sharing of it...

hey netzzwerg....I understand your position... just giving my personal opinion...i Never had a problem with the donate button, and in fact have pushed it before and sent a couple beers,  i recognize your time you put into it and i thank you for it...

All i can say is you are a asset here and dont let a couple bad apples spoil this great community.  because the good out way the bad.  

if you do decide to not share openly,  would you consider me on your special vip list of color roms for some beers??

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

I found out about that site last week or so and I simply liked the way it looked.

I agree the site does present well and it is nice to have all the projects in one location.  Maybe the administrators here @Dazz could put something similar together?  I don't know how much work it would be, it does seem like the downloads section here takes many clicks to get too...not that big of a deal.

1 hour ago, NetzZWerg said:

I also had some discussion about having a donation button, because some people seem to be upset even about that, no matter if I provide the files for free at the end.

I have a donate button and very few people use it...there are some very supportive and appreciative people in this community and that's who I continue to color projects for as well as the people who create the wonderful tables we benefit from and all other great content on here.  I'm not as fast as Martin at turning the projects out, when I start one it will take me a few months to complete and very few people realize the amount of time these projects take and non of us are doing this as a means to support our families!  lol

@adamstillman you have been very supportive from the start, Thank You!

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, cb3 said:

I agree the site does present well and it is nice to have all the projects in one location.  Maybe the administrators here @Dazz could put something similar together?  I don't know how much work it would be, it does seem like the downloads section here takes many clicks to get too...not that big of a deal.

I have a donate button and very few people use it...there are some very supportive and appreciative people in this community and that's who I continue to color projects for as well as the people who create the wonderful tables we benefit from and all other great content on here.  I'm not as fast as Martin at turning the projects out, when I start one it will take me a few months to complete and very few people realize the amount of time these projects take and non of us are doing this as a means to support our families!  lol

@adamstillman you have been very supportive from the start, Thank You!

I checked out that layout... It is simply a post on their forum that contains images and links.  They do not use a CMS system that manages links, version control, etc. I'll see if we can utilize something else here on the site that may give a better view.

• Content Provider

I agree to all  @cb3 . Maybe I work a bit too fast, so it seems like there is not much work and time needed lol... but you are right, we don´t do that for the money.

But there is another reasons for me why I don´t want them to share it like this: Nobody reads the discription, installation notes and things like that, so people will ask the same questions again and again. So if we want to make a layout for this, we should consider about a description tab including the donation buttons and links to the threads in my opinion.

Its a good idea, unfortunately. You will never get rid of those users that are lazy and just asks questions even if the answer they are seeking is right in front of them. I can understand totally newbies having problems and needing some help though.

• Content Provider

I had long discussions about this in the past with different authors and in the end we came to the agreement that all work done for virtual pinball should be free.

That is why the vpin export in pin2dmd editor does not need a license and I helped to add the colorization code to freezy´s DLL. There will always be some individuals who try to make profit out of all the hard work a few put into this hobby but I truely believe that they will get what they deserve one day. The good thing is that the good guys are the majority. So you can say #WeAreMore is also valid here ? Don´t loose the faith even when it is hard sometimes.