Micro Stutter (Ledwiz)

So, this is currently my thorn in the back side. What can be done to mitigate the micro stutter during complex LedWiz events while playing VP tables.

I'm running with PWM off already and doesn't seem to be making a difference. Other than ponying up for a i7 cpu overclocked with liquid cooling what will minimize the stutter or get rid of it entirely?

If you don't have any micro stutter while playing can you please share your cpu details.

• Content Provider

I dont have micro stutter and I am running i5 clocked at 4ghz

You can change the latancy in the ledcontrol.vbs from 60ms to 80 or 100ms. That will help.

Look for this line and change to 80 or 100.

gTimerFreq = 60 ' global frequency timer set to 60 ms (use 100ms if your cpu is not very fast)

also, if the tables is running UVP it will stutter. I have asked B2S BG guys to make BG for those tables. For instance. Comet and Taxi would stutter like a mother but after B2s it's fine.

Thanks guys, I'll give the latency a shot and then go on from there. I'm running Win7 with the latest 310 drivers, they are working flawlessly, scared to change them up but will try if necessary. Also I'm running a real DMD as well. 

EDIT: Changing to 100ms made the points that weren't playable, playable :)

Same here. Cannot find 306.21 driver. Could you confirm that this is the correct version and maybe post a link?

I've had bad luck with ledwiz on any driver other than the 270.61. Would like a newer one that works better.

Thanks

Bill

I tried the 306.23 drivers. Same issues I have with every driver other than the 270.61.

First table I try is attack from mars. Goes into super slow mode during loading. Ledwiz tests in super slow mo. I have to ctrl-alt-del to get out.

I am really looking for a solution to stutter with directb2s backglasses. I'm seeing issues where as soon as the gear motor is triggered the table gets choppy. Happens at other times too.

There has to be something we can do so we can have ledwiz and directb2s running smooth. Seems like we have plenty of CPU power and video card to run this stuff.

Bill

Ya, having a weak PC right now sucks because I've really gotten into VP tables because of the huge ledwiz support. The very thing that has drawn me in is causing me frustration. I don't believe this issue has anything to do with the ledwiz board itself either. FP tables fully loaded with ledwiz routines barely break there frame rates. Changing the latency helped a little bit, but I think my issue is my CPU. I've removed all my db2s backglasses as well which has helped more but again I'm just downgrading my experience. I'm not convinced though that upgrading that will 100% correct the issue as some are still reporting stutter. A few of you guys get no or very little stutter, curious to know what is helping that. RAM, SSD etc. 

• Content Provider

RAM doesn't mean much, I used 4 GB and everything ran fine.

SSD helps with loading the table videos faster, but I don't think it has much impact on actual gameplay.

IMO, most stutter issues have to do with CPU, Video card and the drivers you use with the video card.  I don't know for sure what the absolute minimum specs are to be able to run stutter free, I can just recommend what I used.

Core i5 2500k (OC: 4.6ghz)

GTX 560 ti (1GB Ram) (270.61 drivers)

4GB DDR3 RAM

Windows XP

I'm running XP with pretty much your exact specs Deegor. i5. 560ti. 4gb ram. Ssd. Etc. I'm fine without directb2s. With that plus ledwiz I'm seeing issues on many tables. I love the active backglasses and thought these were the solution for all of us since uvp and ledwiz just don't work together.

Very very frustrating. Id love to know what is causing this and what we can do to fix it.

Also strange that we have one version of video driver (270.61) that works with ledwiz. Every other I try has issues With most tables. We need to figure out where the problem is and figure a way to eliminate it. Our hardware should be plenty to run this stuff smoothly

I'm half tempted to try win7 but from everything I read that may just cause more issues.

Bill

I have gone back and forth between XP and win7 (both 32 and 64 bit).  I have finally settled on Win7x64 with very little stutter if at all.  I wish I could use Fastcom=true, since it seemed to help alot, but screwed up port assignments.  I'm also running latest nvidia drivers witha 660ti.  I have my ledwiz plugged into a usb hub that has switches on it if I want to run completely stutter free without a ledwiz.  I hope someday someone makes a better solution (I know others are working on it, or  I at least hope so).

Working crazy hours now. May give win7 a shot at some point. I have not turned of pwm yet. Wasn't sure how to. Haven't had time to research it yet. I will try that as well to see if it helps.

How do u guys have your monitors set to which video card? I was to.d to put my play field and did on the same card and the Backglass on its own. Is there a better way to go it or doesn't it matter? I'm running. Gt430 card for the Backglass and a gx560ti 1gb for my play field and dmd screen.

Bill

Your hardware specs SHOULD be fine to run tables with directb2s/ledwiz and no stutter. it all matters how you have things hooked up and configured.

Its difficult since drivers, hardware, firmware, background processes, sound drivers, etc can vary.

it makes a difference if you have one video card on the main monitor and the other video card doing the backglass/DMD. I have found this works better.

The directb2s backglasses have the incredible option to skip frames/flasher frames so if a backglass is causing stutter you can increase the frames skipped to stop the stutter.

Also if you aren't getting at least 250fps you will get stutter. Hit F11 when playing to see where you are at. It will vary depending on the table.

Maybe this will help:

Make sure there is nothing running in the background except the necessary programs for VP/vpinmame/hyperpin, etc

I turn off unnessary services.

I have 2 nVidia 2GB video cards with one dedicated to playfield and the other doing the backglass/DMD.intel hardware.

I am running nVidia driver 270.61 and use an Intel SSD drive and a 650 watt PS for the system

I run my LEDWIZ without PWM with fastcomm setting and it helped. I also run XP with service pack 3 and AVG virus scanner with exclusions so it takes up nearly 0 cpu.

I spend ALOT of time tweaking tables and my rig, but its worth it to play without stutter.

I'm running XP with pretty much your exact specs Deegor. i5. 560ti. 4gb ram. Ssd. Etc. I'm fine without directb2s. With that plus ledwiz I'm seeing issues on many tables. I love the active backglasses and thought these were the solution for all of us since uvp and ledwiz just don't work together. Very very frustrating. Id love to know what is causing this and what we can do to fix it. Also strange that we have one version of video driver (270.61) that works with ledwiz. Every other I try has issues With most tables. We need to figure out where the problem is and figure a way to eliminate it. Our hardware should be plenty to run this stuff smoothly I'm half tempted to try win7 but from everything I read that may just cause more issues. Bill

I am going to look into the PWM settings today hopefully. Just haven't had time to see what I need to do with that. I'll try the other as well but most people reported Contactor or other ledwiz issues on tables when that was turned off.

What is your frame skip set to for your backglasses? Do you have any other settings changed in them?

I'll see what else I might have running. Not much though. Wireless nic? No virus software. I'll double check though. I'll check my frame rate too and report back. Any tables that are better to test with to compare to others?

Bill

Pick a table like Badcats 915 v 1.1.1 to set a baseline.

It's got all kinds of alpha images and such, yet runs well. I get 300-400 fps with my modest test rig and higher on my cab. I'm running the directb2s backglass with badcats.

Press F11 when you start a game and watch the fps as you play. If it dips below 250 you will get stutter.

I don't recall what backglasses I had to skip frames aside from Als garage band just letting you know if the directb2s is dragging you down, you can skip frames to restore fps.

I am going to look into the PWM settings today hopefully. Just haven't had time to see what I need to do with that. I'll try the other as well but most people reported Contactor or other ledwiz issues on tables when that was turned off. What is your frame skip set to for your backglasses? Do you have any other settings changed in them? I'll see what else I might have running. Not much though. Wireless nic? No virus software. I'll double check though. I'll check my frame rate too and report back. Any tables that are better to test with to compare to others? Bill

Ok. So I put my video drivers back to 270.61, downloaded a new ledcontrol.ini with PWM flashers turned off.

Bad Cats fps average for a 3 ball game was around 1200. It ran very well. The only time I noticed issues are when the gear motor kicked in. I noticed a drop in frame rate when it was running. I think I got a little drop when the strobes went off a few times too. Not horrible though. Any ideas?

I also put the new FPLaunch WIP10 on just to have new versions of everything in case it mattered. I'm having weird issues with that now. I'll have to do some searching. Can't exit tables with my start button any longer (have to hit enter on the kb). My LEDWiz getting turned off somehow. It works when I play one table, exit out to another and it's off now. Wierd?? Sorry...got off topic.

Bill

Archived