Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi

I'm the author of WPC-Emu, a Williams Pinball Machine emulator running in your browser: https://neophob.github.io/wpc-emu/

One of the latest features I added is DMD ripping, you can export vpinmame raw compatible frames from all the available games.

I'm looking for some feedback about it's usability.

Cheers

Michael

this looks very useful indeed; am i right in thinking the dumps are limited to 1000 frames? or am I doing something wrong?

it would be great if the UI buttons for switches could reflect their state as well as the switch in matrix

1 hour ago, slippifishi said:

this looks very useful indeed; am i right in thinking the dumps are limited to 1000 frames? or am I doing something wrong?

it would be great if the UI buttons for switches could reflect their state as well as the switch in matrix

yes currently the maximal frames are limited to 1000 frames - just because its stored in ram. what do you think is a reasonable frame count?

and ui buttons should be mapped to the current state (only visible in the SWITCH IN matrix).

1 hour ago, neophob said:

yes currently the maximal frames are limited to 1000 frames - just because its stored in ram. what do you think is a reasonable frame count?

and ui buttons should be mapped to the current state (only visible in the SWITCH IN matrix).

errr, no limit/dump everything ? :D I appreciate that is probably not possible, but i feel like a few thousand more, at least, would be helpful; would 10,000 be doable? Or even make it configurable? 

For instance there is a sequence of frames in Flintstones after high score entry that all told is well over 1000 frames, maybe even 2000 I haven't looked that closely yet. Admittedly if I'm colouring that I will cut it up into chunks much smaller, but having the whole sequence all in one dump is invaluable in my opinion. That's just one example, and I do already have a dump of it, but i'm just trying to show that sometimes there might be cases to want more than 1000 frames. I would be interested to see what anyone else thinks, especially some of the more experienced colour artists.

As for the UI buttons, I do see that the switch matrix lights change to reflect their on/off state, but it is not always obvious which light/space in the matrix relates to which UI button; you can eventually learn which is which with practice, but if I could look at the button and know it's on or off without having to toggle it and watch for a change in the matrix it would be great. I hope I am being clear with that description.

I will add I'm being very selfish and approaching this as a tool to help me dump specific sequences in games rather than a tool to do an entire dump - though undoubtedly with enough patience (and enough frames to dump!) you could walk through an entire rom here in a very methodical and precise manner. I know for the TOTAN colouring there are still some missing camel race frames, maybe this tool could be used to quickly run through all the possibilities and find that missing sequence? Perhaps quicker than trying to do it by hand or drag a ball around VPX...

Thanks @slippifishi for the feedback.

Well being selfish is not bad ;) I want this tool is valuable for others, so I try to listen to users.

I just pushed v0.8.18 out, including those changes

## 17/1/19
- DMD Ripping: show how many DMD frames has been ripped
- DMD Ripping: increased maximal ripped DMD Frames from 1000 to 8000
- DMD Ripping: once 8000 frames has been reached, download dump and continue ripping

That should address your issues. Especially the last point. If I would not limit the amount of ripped frames, the browser would get sluggish and die somewhere in the future.

Let me know if that improve things!

Cheers

7 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

@neophob Thank you very much for making this tool. I saw it the other week and I simply didn't think that using it as a bumping tool would be one use case for it. Now, with the update it is maybe the most useful tool we've got ❤️

thanks - I guess those 20 minutes were well spend then ;)