Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikePinball

Pin2DMD for < $125 - DIY

6 hours ago, Archangl7 said:

is the resistor network needed if you use the waveshare version sd holder? or do you need only the connectors highlighted for virtual pinball?

No the resistors are builtin. Did you look at their website or the link to their schematic? I think that is pretty clear.

Yes only the highlighted connectors. Do you understand enough about what you are going to build to be able to build it? What happens when something doesn't work?

On 1/7/2019 at 12:42 PM, MikePinball said:

I have fixed a couple of problems on my first PCB and I have made it available in this append for anyone who wants it. As a reminder the "*ONLY* change is the addition of a SMD socket for the micro SD card and a SIL resistor array. If you are not familiar with SMD soldering then I would use the original PCB design. This PCB design has no warranties and you should verify before using it.

Mike Pinball

PIN2DMD_Nucleo144-MikePinball-20190106.zip

Can the SDCARD module like the V3 shield be used?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2PCS-TF-Micro-SD-Card-Mini-SD-Card-Module-Memory-Module-Arduino-ARM-AVR-S/191736124794?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It is a lot easier to find and much cheaper than the waveshare unit

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SpaceGambler said:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2PCS-TF-Micro-SD-Card-Mini-SD-Card-Module-Memory-Module-Arduino-ARM-AVR-S/191736124794?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

No because it only supports 1bit serial SPI connection while the Waveshare supports 4 bit parallel SDIO connection.

If you want to have it cheaper use the slot directly soldered to the pcb like Mike did above

here I have just mounted one.  assembly time entirely with the tests 2h30.  It's only 20 minutes longer than with a v3 so everything is fine.

2A96DD2E-E45F-4916-AE8D-A1330FD3509F.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2020 at 2:51 PM, SpaceGambler said:

I added a alternative layout which uses a cheaper chinese SDIO capable SD reader. The layout has not been tested by me but should work.

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/V4 NUCLEO-144/chinese SD Reader available on ebay

sd_reader.jpg

• Like 1

does it matter if its a arm 4 core? i bought another one of the Nucleo-144 boards, butits a arm 7 and it doesnt seem to be working. i have done a few using this exact model NUCLEO-F429ZI and it is now out of stock , but the one i just bought is a NUCLEO-F767ZI and the status led for programming is flashing red.

4 hours ago, Archangl7 said:

does it matter if its a arm 4 core? i bought another one of the Nucleo-144 boards, butits a arm 7 and it doesnt seem to be working. i have done a few using this exact model NUCLEO-F429ZI and it is now out of stock , but the one i just bought is a NUCLEO-F767ZI and the status led for programming is flashing red.

Only NUCLEO-F429ZI and NUCLEO-F439ZI are supported

I am a newbie on this forum, but with decades of working on and restoring pinball machines.  Up until now, my electronics experience consists of troubleshooting boards, reading circuit diagrams and repairing them.   I have no experience with fabricating boards.

Is it possible for someone of my skill (or lack of it) level to obtain the parts?  Assembly looks reasonable (except perhaps the SMD soldering for me).  But I would like to order the proper boards with all of the components from China for use in pinball machines.  

I would not mind ordering from  Dan Pannell, but it looks like his thread has gone stale. If I want to order a complete board with all parts for pinball use, what do I do?   I see the files on GitHub.  And see references to the upgrades that the OP, MikePinball, has done and would like to include those.  And also comments about drill holes being off in some of the copies.

How do I order the boards, with MikePinball's upgrades, with all the of the components and to minimize any SMD work that I might have to do?

Thanks for your patience with this Newbie.

You can certainly order the EVO boards and receive them without the need to do any SMD soldering. See this thread for info.

Even with assembled boards, you will still have some work to do, selecting and purchasing the correct LED displays, assembling the parts, making power cables, getting the firmware loaded onto the boards, etc. Instructions are on this site and on the Pin2dmd site.

My advise is if you are after less than 10 then try a PM to Dan. or maybe  dzorbas who is in Canada and might be able to ship to you. 

@LexingtonVAPin I can ship fully assembled displays to you if Dan doesn't respond. There is enough info on the site here if you want to build your own. I would never personally take on SMD installation. I guess some guys are masochists and enjoy that kind of stuff. My hands and eyes couldn't handle it.

Send me a PM if you want more info.

Thanks,

Dino Z.