Some VPX tables have no music or speech

Nedmond

Hi All,

I joined up a few months back and have finally managed to put together a working virtual pinball cabinet. I'm only running VPX/VP10 at the moment, I will probably get into VP9/FP down the track, but for now there is enough to keep me busy. I had a lot of issues along the way as everyone who has built their own cab up will know, but so far I have been able to figure them out with the help of posts and guides on forums like this by reading what others have posted. I've run into an issue that I can't seem to find answers for this time, so I thought I'd ask in this forum, I'm sure there is something simple I'm missing...

Some of the VPX tables don't seem to play music or have any speech, but do have table sound effects. At first I thought it was the table, but I've come across 3 like that now so I'm thinking maybe I need to add music files or something? The tables I'm having issues with are:

- Monster Bash v2.0

- Batman (Data East 1991) v1.3

- Hook (Data East 1992) v1.01

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Brendan

• Content Provider

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&cat=9

Start table, F1, make sure Use Sound is checked

If all else fails, exit and restart VPX.

If that fails reboot.

If that fails reinstall Windows

If that fails buy another PC

If that fails, chuck everything and buy a real pinball table.

Nothing beats the real thing.

Thanks carny, I tried the first 3 suggestions. I did learn that F1 brings up the settings which is useful so thanks for that. The other suggestions are too much trouble/expensive. I'd love to buy a real pinball machine but for me it has to be a good one and not something lame. I spoke to a guy that sells them and I need to spend AUS$8k+ to get what I'd want so $2k for a virtual cab was my only option. That said, I'm loving the stuff that works, T2, LOTR, TOTAN to name a few. I have setup 12 tables now, I'm starting to think that if that gameex stuff really works then it might be worth paying US$50 for an unlimited subscription...

No, the problem still remains :(

a bit more research has suggested that the issue may be resolved by trying the following:

1. pressing buttons 8 or 9, failing that, end then 8 or 9

2. removing the associated nvram file

3. reinstalling PinMAME (could be the version?)

I'm thinking at this point it's unlikely to be the table or the ROM or there would be heaps in forums about it. I'll attempt the above today and post the results back here.

cheers,

Brendan

I've tried the end, button 9 thing and renaming the nvram file (mb_106b.nv) but these did not fix my issue.

My current version of PinMAME is 3.1 [MAME 0.76] (Jul 29 2018), does anyone know of any issues with this version?

thanks

OK, I've made some progress as to the cause. I found that Theatre of Magic is available for VPX and was excited to find it as it wasn't on VPForums, VPUniverse, or in the VPX tables list of the site I actually did find it on (thanks google!). That site is monsterbashpincab if anyone is interested.

I first tried the latest version (Hat Mod) with the ROM it wanted and there was again no sound. I really wanted this table in VPX so I tried the earlier version that uses a different ROM and works perfectly!

so I think it's most likely the ROM and the version of PinMAME I'm using that is causing the no music/speech issues I've had with a few tables.

I managed to get the hat mod version working, it seems that it needed both ROMs for the older version to work so I tried the mod one and that also works, so possibly my ignorance being new to this, I assumed you only needed 1 ROM? I will attempt to get the other 3 tables working by downloading all the roms for them.

• Content Provider

The PinMAME project is a derivative of MAME. If you are familiar with MAME then you may recall how rom sets are often distributed on sites as "split roms" with parent sets and clone sets. The parent set usually is the latest production version from the country of manufacture or a global localization. Clone sets only have the binary files that are different from the parent set. You may only have the clone set with working game code but missing the sound files. Be sure you have downloaded all the code that you need, both the parent and the clone. The parent set tends to be the one of the table with the largest zip file size. Check in the table script for the required set, and if it is a clone set then fetch the parent set also.

You can check your rom collection with a rom auditor like clrmamepro.

Just make sure you get your roms from this site and you will be ha happy camper. That's my opinion about the matter. It is not like these roms changed often, but, when they do, they are updated on this site - not on any of the other regular vp sites.

• 2 years later...
On 1/4/2019 at 9:33 AM, Thalamus said:

Just make sure you get your roms from this site and you will be ha happy camper. That's my opinion about the matter. It is not like these roms changed often, but, when they do, they are updated on this site - not on any of the other regular vp sites.

I just figured this out, after all these years ?

I only noticed an issue with Doctor Who (Bally 1992) and found some information regarding this. Good to know in the future if I find other tables that "loose" their sound

Archived