Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So having spent some time earlier this year learning the ins and outs of the editor and playing with TNG, in the past few weeks I have been making a serious effort towards colourising one of my favourite games (and actually the first one I ever played in VPX!) - William's Demolition Man. I'm between 25-33% of the way through the scenes I have identified, but I am approaching this properly and have already mapped out all the frame #s for cutting and have got all the dumps I need (I think), it's really just a case of time and colouring now.

Don't get too excited just yet, I don't know that I'm ready to release anything as a beta today, but hopefully using some free time in the coming week I can make some serious in roads and share something here. I hope the preview GIFs work :S 

On a side note, I am unable to download the latest version of PIN2DMD editor - Windows 10 Defender is refusing it and claims there is a virus, though I have not been able to find out any more detail as to what virus it thinks is there. I still have an older version, but I am missing the fixed hash generation!

retinascan_laser2.gif.49fb03a8095bf6a844b0d4c043a98872.gifmultiplier_up.gif.a5fc5e8a956e3fa868884eda035086fe.giffmb_intro.gif.da5af3cc3de439123756b1034a410081.gifattract_instructions.gif.c6efa91d455df868534e603203bb4c18.gif

LATEST FILES:

Vpin files are available here on vpuniverse, send me a pm for real pin or source files: 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

I never get excited any more for first time posters for colouring jobs. Too many just give up at some point unfortunately. I however is very impress about the color selection you've made. These looks very good. Very nice start indeed !!

As promised I have been working pretty furiously over the last few days and have made more good progress!

I figure I will make an alpha/beta available for early preview and/or testing :) Obvious things I know that are still outstanding (in the bad sense):

• Museum Multiball Intro
  • Wasteland Multiball
  • Cryprison Multiball [A handful of scenes are coloured]
  • Demolition Time/wizard mode
  • Capture Simon
  • Double Crash award
  • Williams logo/anti-graffiti spray thing (this appears in both attract and gameplay and I will need to be very clever)
  • Match sequence (I have no idea how I will achieve this cleanly!)

There may also be a few rare/hard to get or late game animations I haven't got to yet.

But otherwise, I think a lot of scenes have been coloured, and at least in my own testing, appear to be showing as expected. That might look like a long list above, but things that ARE coloured include:

• General score stuff/text masks
  • Fortress Multiball
  • Common animations (eg. combos, bonus multiplier up)
  • Retina Scan
  • Car Chase
  • Quick Freeze
  • Ball Lock
  • Comptuer [will rework this eventually to be more colourful!]
  • Laser Millions
  • ACMAG
  • Mystery Award
  • U Look GR8 2 Day!
  • Explode Hurry Up

And loads more not worth mentioning. See attached! EDIT: See OP for latest version Place the extracted files in the appropriate altcolor folder - I was using dm_lx4 but I guess the target rom isn't important, if the scenes are the same it will colour(?)

One thing I do notice is that the timing is sometimes off or frames are skipped; for example, the ball save; in this sequence Sly's mouth is supposed to move - "Don't move" he exclaims - but when it fires it seems to skip those frames where his mouth is open; I tried to be clever with this sequence because there are a lot of repeated frames, so instead of colouring (for example) 150 frames in a sequence, I coloured 25 frames individually. Is this a wise approach? I will add that I did the same thing for the fortress multiball sequence, and it seems to display fine. ACMAG intro animation also suffers from this "skipped frames" issue, any one got any ideas? Or is this isolated to me?

Feedback/comments welcome!

PS: Stay away from double digit and 1/2 credits please :D 

[EDIT] I don't know why the preview GIFs don't work when I attach them to the forum :S So i put some here instead for those of you unable to play the table: https://imgur.com/a/JlduQ0m

• Like 10

Wow. That is surprising news. As I said. The quality of your work was already very good so I'm really excited to see this beta. Thank you so much for all your hard work. I'm pessimistic only because I know how much blood, sweat and tears it is to do this. It is like building a advanced table from ground up. The hardest part is that you're basically doing the same stuff for weeks at end. I admire you guys.

5 hours ago, slippifishi said:

with this sequence because there are a lot of repeated frames, so instead of colouring (for example) 150 frames in a sequence, I coloured 25 frames individually. Is this a wise approach?

Absolute best approach. Keep in mind that a scene gets restarted every time a keyframe appears. Even within the scene. So either cut it into short sequences or even single frames.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Played the beta and I really like it. Very nice work indeed ! Saw a couple of scenes that might be improved - but, it didn't bother me much since I've seldom been at that stage ofthe game so I was busy playing :)

It looks great 👍

, is this a version only on vpin ?? or also real ??

Without knowing the actual process. I'm sure he can generate both without to much extra effort. The one he shared, is for VP.

16 hours ago, Thalamus said:

... I'm pessimistic only because I know how much blood, sweat and tears it is to do this. It is like building a advanced table from ground up. The hardest part is that you're basically doing the same stuff for weeks at end. I admire you guys.

I also have the same opinion, I tried to do it for the Lord of the Rings and ... I bought ColorDmd  😁

12 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Absolute best approach. Keep in mind that a scene gets restarted every time a keyframe appears. Even within the scene. So either cut it into short sequences or even single frames.

Thanks lucky; having looked at a few offending animations again I can see the same hash is appearing later in the sequence so it's a case of needing more break up, I will add these to my snagging list. I am using my own tool to analyse the DMD dumps to find duplicated frames and I obviously need to tweak it a little bit.

50 minutes ago, fly said:

It looks great 👍

, is this a version only on vpin ?? or also real ??

I don't believe I have the facility to do a real pin export at this time as I don't have a license for the editor, but once the project is complete and if demand is high enough then that's probably something I would be willing to invest in.

32 minutes ago, fly said:

I also have the same opinion, I tried to do it for the Lord of the Rings and ... I bought ColorDmd  😁

I have to choose my words carefully here - I can fully understand the pessimism; with the greatest possible respect to Steve, the editor UI is a bit "flakey" and not overly user friendly. The colouring part is easy, but the identification of key frames and hashes is a real pain, and this is made worse by the lack of some basic navigation features in the tool (frame forward/back shortcut!). Again I have the utmost respect for everyone involved, I even tried pulling the project down myself and seeing if there was anyway I could improve the UI myself, but I am not a Java developer, definitely not a Java forms developer, and I am here to add colour to my DMD not learn new development tools! In the end I wrote a really simple C# util that I use to analyse the DMD dumps, and given a sequence of frame#s it can tell me which frames are duplicated within that sequence, and therefore tells me where I need to cut up, which I can then copy to a spreadsheet as use as a guide when I'm working in the editor. Judging from lucky's comments, some of this is not working quite as well as I hoped as not all duplicate frames have been detected, but it's certainly useful enough that I can concentrate more on the colouring and less on the "where do I need to cut this sequence?" Now all I need is a better way of tracking and picking my masks efficiently so as to avoid masses of rework later if one of them changes, but at the minute I have only used 4 or 5 so am not at a stage where this is a must have... yet... :)

But I can't leave it like that - thank you Steve for the Editor, despite what I've said if we didn't have it then we wouldn't have the ability to make any colour project at all, so thank you!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hopefully when you do the full on release, you can put your source files up for download as well. I agree with you on the editor, but Steve has been great in listening to us in adding features and fixing bugs. When I started coloring Street Fighter II, there was no copy/paste from clip board! My biggest tip is to save OFTEN. I'll have to go get the demolition man table added to my vpin and give this a go!

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your colorization on this pin! 

Looks great already 😂

Thanks!  !  👍👍👍

• Like 1

So I loaded this up but I cant get the table to run (flippers dont do shit) but I watched the attract mode go through, and its awesome!

I'll have to figure out why flippers arent flipping (other games do it too) and test more.

• Like 1

Thanks, though except for the main title card "explosion" I haven't really coloured much in the attract mode yet, so I guess you like the palette :P the table itself has a lot of blue and red going on, and I have since migrated some of the orange shades in the text scenes to red and they are a lot more fitting. this game also has a lot of "transitions" scrolling between scenes, and I fear most of them will go uncoloured, though I am doing my best to try and fade scenes to the default palette manually as they end so it won't be as harsh on the eyes - this works, sometimes.

One thing i have learned in the last few days is I actually suck at this game and there are loads of scenes I didn't even know existed! I'm discovering and capturing them slowly but surely, but I drain so often - the left loop shot is a one way ticket down the middle for me :D Still having good fun colouring and cutting though and that's what matters! 

There are a few easter egg animations that seem to rely on the thumb triggers on the real cabinet which i'm not sure how to reliably emulate through a keyboard or my pincab, but I imagine there is a way I can fire these through code, I'll figure it out eventually I'm sure.

• Like 1

Got my flipper issue sorted (Windows was blocking the VBS files cause they were downloaded)

Everything looks really good, the only mode I hit that wasn't colored was chasing Simon Pheonix. I dont know the rules of this game very well, but I'll definitely play it more now that you've done so much colorization and done it so well.

Thanks! I have now covered and tested the Capture Simon mode and it will be included with the next release, perhaps in the next week or so (though I'm back to work tomorrow so progress will slow a bit) - I'd like to finish off all the multiball stuff before I push another version out, which would leave just the wizard mode and match to do. I have also gone back and redone a few scenes in light of Lucky's advice and fixed a few cases where sequences were firing again because of repeated hashes and those scenes are definitely much cleaner now - Sly talks again when he tells you "dont move"!

I have also coloured my first cow animation so my life is now complete 👍

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for all your work, its great to see new people in the coloring community.  Good luck with this project, looking very good so far.

Attached is version 0.9, because it really is that close to 1.0/complete! As before, unzip into your favourite flavour of Demo Man rom...

Known Problems:

• Main Ball Lock sequence is broken/unreliable
  • Capture Simon award (running man transition) is broken/unreliable
  • Explode Millions is broken/unreliable
  • Extra Ball and Shoot Again might be a bit flakey?

Uncoloured stuff:

• Secret Jackpot (coloured but disabled, its very broken)
  • Capture Simon intro, lost to a crash :( Will be redone
  • Cryoprison Car Chase jackpots; there are so many repeated scenes here it frightens me. Scenes are coloured, but the cutup is a LOT of work.
  • Comptuer Award (can be much better)
  • Demo Jackpot score display
  • Demo Time jackpots
  • Match sequence
  • Williams logo/anti graffiti spray/Mystery award thing
  • 14 Million standup (no good dump yet!)
  • 20 Million standup (no good dump yet!)

Working, coloured stuff:

• Pretty much every other scene, and all easter eggs! :D

I still haven't bothered with 1/2 credits, if this really ruins the experience for you then tell me and I will add them to the list.
Truth be told I am not completely happy with how the Museum MB Jackpot (Simon Phoenix shooting at the glass display) and the 5 Million Helicopter Jump bonus look, I am not creative enough to make these shine - so much detail in so few dots, I'm in awe of the original artists. They aren't awful, but I am no Malenko ;) :D I may try these again.

Some more previews: https://imgur.com/a/wk9cW40

I will definitely be back to finish this off in a week or two and release the sources alongside. I am posting this now because I have put a lot of work in over the last few days and need a bit of a break from demo man and want to start thinking about and making some dumps for my next project, which I hope will be much boulder...

If anyone spots any problems or uncoloured scenes not listed above then please reply here and let me know.

EDIT: See OP for latest files

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Thank you very much for your fantastic work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slippifishi said:

They aren't awful, but I am no Malenko

Ha!

Well if you want me to take a look at those, send me a link to the files.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh wow. have not been keeping up! Did not know Demo Man was being worked on! Where do I sign up! :) 

Great job so far slippifishi!

• Like 1