Accessing the front end files to add tables

mlevant1965

So I just got my new mini pinball table. Unfortunately during the shipping I'm just getting a start menu. I'm told it's probably the power source got disconnected from the hard drive so I'm going to have to open that sucker up.

So my question is. How do you access pinballx files to add tables? This table does not have any USB input to attach a keyboard and mouse.

What do you out there use? When I open it up would the hard drive have something maybe for me to hook up a wireless keyboard? 

Define for me what a pinballx file means to you so I understand your language. I've never seen one. Is it the config files ? A table, normally for us means the game code you download and load into vpx. PinballX is a frontend for the games. Your terminology is very confusing to me.

So, to answer your question. How in hell am I'm going to be able to answer your question when I've never seen the damn thing ? Make a picture at least so I can have a better understanding of what your dealing with. You already stated that it doesn't have a USB input, then your asking about how to connect to "the box".

I have a regular computer inside a box so to speak, and yes, my computer has USB input. So, for me - I open the door, to give me access to the inside of the box where there computer is situated, and since it runs windows ( I bet yours is too )  I just need to make sure that whatever I put into the connector(s) it is windows compatible. I'm pretty sure your in the same boat even though we clearly don't use the same terms. And - yes. I use a USB BT keyboard.

Pictures would surely help.

My apologies for not being clear. This is all new to me as far as owning a mini pinball cab.

First off what I meant by pinballx files, I meant folders. Going to Windows, clicking on pinballx, going to table manager and adding tables for instance. 

I know you must start at windows to get to the pinball x program. The thing is, with this mini cab I have, I don't have easy access to the hard drive. I have to basically take this pin cab apart to get to the inside which is going to be a pain.

You are using a keyboard right?

Again I'm sorry for not being clear. When I have the time to actually open this up I'll take a picture

Ok. Well until I get a picture there is little I can help you with. I have a feeling that what you call a harddrive is what the rest of the world call a computer. And, yes, I use a keyboard, a wireless one. Do you have some hardware specifications ? It might very well be that Pinup Popper is a better frontend for you to use than PinballX because of its remote admistration capabilities. But, then again it requires connectivity. A few pictures and better info would go a long way.

• Content Provider

I use a Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad. Logitech k830. But it would require that your computer have Bluetooth and you’d have to have a way to get to the control panel of Windows to check. I’m guessing the motherboard has USB inputs but you’ll have to open it up to get to them. Did you buy it from commercial seller or a person? The problem here, like thalamus said, vpin cabs can be made thousands (er, maybe millions) of ways. And everyone’s is different. Seems odd that someone would sell you a computer without an input device. They are worthless without them. And vpins are just computers with one, fun purpose.  I’d contact seller if you can and ask how they did it. Pics would help. Is there an access door somewhere? BTW pinballX is commonly found as a folder on the  computer’s “C:” drive.  

3 hours ago, Thalamus said:

Ok. Well until I get a picture there is little I can help you with. I have a feeling that what you call a harddrive is what the rest of the world call a computer. And, yes, I use a keyboard, a wireless one. Do you have some hardware specifications ? It might very well be that Pinup Popper is a better frontend for you to use than PinballX because of its remote admistration capabilities. But, then again it requires connectivity. A few pictures and better info would go a long way.

When I open this up I'll take pictures. Company who sold me the cab told me the reason why I was getting an error message was because the power source was not connected to the hard drive so I just used hard drive in my message. I was thinking hard drive as like one of those just disk drives or a drive with no connections

When I wrote this first message, I was asking generally what you all used to access the Windows menu. I wasn't sure if the monitors were touch screen, or whatever. I was hoping the system would have some type of external USB port or something but it doesn't. So I was really just asking a general set up question :)

5 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

I would not mind getting a picture of the machine right now - without even opening it. I have no clue to if we're talking about a matchbox sized machine or a "real" sized vpin yet.

I'll take a picture of it shortly. It's got a 24 inch play field and a 19-inch back glass. It's like a countertop. No legs. Just play field and backglass

Looks nice. Well. Looking at the screens. I agree. It looks like the machine is hung in post and that can be because it doesn't find the harddrive with the operating system. Next step now is to make sure that it is attached. Don't touch anything before you unplug everything. From the pictures I don't really see how to open the box. But, obviously there is a way. Once you do. Attach the harddrive and at the same time get yourself a external keyboard. Bluetooth keyboards by Logitech are my preferred ones.

You should contact those that sold the machine to you and ask on how to open it. Are the screws that holds the side rails regular screws ? If so, it might be as easy as to unscrew them and then lifting the monitor out. I would never have a vpin this closed. Under my cab I've got a USB extention cable running to the PC in the back. So, I can attach whatever USB unit I need. I would seriously consider making something like that IF it isn't in the back or underneath already.

Thank you so much. I'm sure it is but I hope that there is something in there for me to connect to a wireless keyboard and also I'm hoping there's a way I could access the internet to download tables. I mean it's a computer right so there's gotta be internet access. I hope I hope I hope ?

• 1 month later...

Archived