help a newb, pin2dmd on a vpin with colorizations

malenko

• Content Provider

So I finally got around to getting my mini Vpin in working shape.  I have about 68 tables set up, various VP9 builds including physmod.  I cannot get ANY VPX tables to run.

However with all the stuff I do have running, I have the external DMD running with no problem. Its awesome.  How do I make Pin2DMD colorizations n stuff work? Attached are 2 pix, one of the cab in boot, and one of my wife playing a game. Yes it has underbody LED and DOF (force feedback)

vpin1.jpg

vpin2.jpg

In the vpinmame folder - make a subfolder named altcolor. Under this new folder you need to create one folder. In this example, Attack from Mars. Inside the script you look for the rom name, often found by cGameName = <romname>. afm_113b is a valid rom for attach from mars. Now create the subfolder afm_113b and in that folder you put pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.vni.

Next time you start the game, Press F1, On the bottom of options, tick the 'use color' and you should be done since you already have your pin2dmd showing the dmd ( already ticked use external ).

Remember, if you changed rom, you need to do this all over again. Both create subfolder - copy required files and tick both 'use external' and 'use color'  in pinmame.

So. c:\visual_pinball\vpinmame\altcolor\afm_113b\ - these should hold pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.vni.

• Content Provider

FInally got around to trying this, no dice. Tried CB3's WWF royal rumble and my own LW3

pin2dmd.vni and pin2dmd.pal  are the only files in the folder for their respective games. Didnt work :(

If you wanna help me with something else........I cant seem to reposition the backglass in VPX. I tried setting it to screen 1 , 2, and 3 but it always shows up under the playfield :(

Capture.PNG

Unfortunately, not my area of expertise. I have a Real DMD,

You've installed Freezy' dmdext ? At this moment you need 1.7.1. There is a bug in the latest, preventing it from working correctly.

https://github.com/freezy/dmd-extensions/releases/download/v1.7.1/dmdext-v1.7.1-x86.zip

And - yes. You seem to have done everything correct. It might be the bug mentioned that is your problem.

4 hours ago, Thalamus said:

Unfortunately, not my area of expertise. I have a Real DMD,

You've installed Freezy' dmdext ? At this moment you need 1.7.1. There is a bug in the latest, preventing it from working correctly.

https://github.com/freezy/dmd-extensions/releases/download/v1.7.1/dmdext-v1.7.1-x86.zip

And - yes. You seem to have done everything correct. It might be the bug mentioned that is your problem.

correct me if I"m wrong,  but I was under the impression that Frezys dl was made so that Pin2DMD editor projects and Pinball Browser proejcts  could be use on LCD and PINDMD3  (NOT A REAL DMD)

if the above statement is true,  and you have a PIN2DMD on your cab,  you should just install the PIN2DMD drivers to get your device going.

1.7.2 of dmdext works for fx3 ( reported by others ) I don't play fx3 on my cab. 1.7.1 works well for me as a pindmd3 user. Mjr reported some issues that I haven't really experienced myself, and that was some of the changes that got added to 1.7.2. Pindmd3 and LCD users can test his version if they have issues with 1.7.1.

• Content Provider

Folder names were copy pasta'ed from the script of the table. I even picked rename and copied the file names of WWF and pasted them as the file names of LW3. File NAMES, not FILES (im not using WWF files in LW3)

I guess I'll just re-export the Vpin files for LW3 (and fix the messed up frame in the match game while Im at it) and see if it makes a difference.  Any ideas on why VPX wont put the backglass on monitor 2?

I see your folder structure in the first post, so that is not it. Did you maybe forget that the files without lw3_208 needs to be named pin2dmd.* not something else .vni and .pal ?

For the db2s, maybe post your dmddevice.ini file - if you are running dmddevice, as a LCD user, you should enable the virtual dmd in that file, disable the hardware ones and the one from VPM. The example from Lucky1 is how it should look. And remember. For each rom, you have to set that setting in VPM. There are tricks to make that the default though. But for now we should focus on getting it to work.

Archived