Vp9 Nudging

• Administrators

Wow, has Noah and Destruk fukin' lost their minds?  

Apparently they think that nudging in VP9 is fine because "Josh Sharp" says it's fine so there is no work being done on it.  These VPF guys are seriously shitting on any kind of community development that improves VP from what they think it should be.  Leave it to them to stifle community involvement and development. What jokers these guys have become over the past couple years.  Such a sad sad state VP development is in.  We've gotta get some of these more open minded developers over here on VPU and stop screwing around with those that have completely lost touch.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=23576

I think its the digital nudge that is ok, I would think most cabinet users (myself included) use analog nudge via a Pinball Wizard board or ms sidewinder controller.  Wish nudge was better with the analog stuff.  Its awesome that it works fairly well, but there is always room for improvement.

I took it that they were refering to digital nudge also. I use analogue nudge and just went through all my tables deleting almost everything in the table script to do with nudge and left and right nudge work not to bad. Nudging is now at least consistent, i dont nudge up so that doesn't bother me. I agree with slydog there is always room for improvement.

Funny Dazz, I saw that post and the responses a couple of people had that sort of reflect your feelings.  I'm not about to worry about nudge till I figure out even a mini-cab setup, but it'll come.  What I'm more curious about are actually decent solutions that aren't f'ed up rigged analog plays for plunger action like sticking a rod out of an xbox controller.  No offense to anyone if it works, but seriously why waste a whole controller for one axis control.  It would make more sense to work up a single potentiometer solution to a Teensy or Arduino or such.  If I ever get around to testing the USB keyboard code with one of my teensy boards I might try to mock up something USB mouse or joypadish the same way.  Trouble is whether VP and FP will recognize it.

Not a fan of the nudging either but, I don't think developers are hampered, the current devs have ben adding some interesting stuff and i doubt Noah is behind them with a whip, they don't report to him. anyway, it is open source so anyone can chip in, hopefully someone will come up with a better solution than the existing one, I would welcome it.

My biggest beef with the nudging is I think it is too geared towards how the pros play a machine. Yes, the table is supposed to move under the ball, but the majority of players do not play like that. If I cup the ball with the left flipper and nudge on the left side, in my universe the ball seems to go up the left flipper towards the right but because of this over emphasis on table versus ball, the ball with a left digital nudge tends to go towards the left. At least it did last time I checked, I gave up on it years ago. Lol

tnx for the support dazz and guys, i really appreciate it, i'm tired of fighting with windmills

sly it is exactly digital nudge that is not ok but can be easily fixed with some core changes

analog nudge on the other hand works pretty well if it is calibrated fine - you can rotate it, invert it, put a gain and dead zone - and best thing - you do it once for all tables (koadic moved these settings from table to preferences) - only problem is you have to recalibrate it on every boot and some people never really manage to calibrate it at all

something similar is done with my core.vbs - you can set preferred angle, preferred strength and preferred return force for all tables that use core.vbs at once

people with tilt bobs can set filter time so that they don't get many nudges but only one

check second link in my sig for more details

I really like these new nudge settings. I never got the analogue nudge working and went back to digital with my cab rebuild. I read the original "better nudge" discussion (by coincidence already few days ago) and I was kind of annoyed that it isn't approved as part of the official release. The difference is huge and I don't see it getting fixed anytime soon to actual VP code. Also I don't like that too much freedom is given to individual table scripts. It's much better to have nudge behave the same way in all tables for consistency.

I played with the "original" VP nudge in my cab for quite a while and got used to it. Basically cheating because I could save the ball 90% of the time from the middle drain. Then I got a change to play a real pinball for the first time in few years (none of those around where I live in Finland) and I realized that I couldn't do ANY of the things with the real table that I was doing with the VP9 default nudge. 

Yes sure... this change makes the game play much harder but also much more rewarding. Thanks!

• Content Provider

Not the old VP nudging topic again! Is it that time of year already? ;)

I don't think it is so much a question of does nudging need to be fixed, we all know that it does. It's a question of how can it be fixed without breaking all the work arounds in current tables and who out of the developers has an interest in taking on such a task, while being told how to do it by people that can't.

even if you do i don't know what with internal vp nudge command (the only thing that could be done is add counter force and/or shake) - there will still be a problem that people call nudge routine with angle 0 on front nudge, and +/-15 on side nudge which are all angles that move the ball up which is not real

teppotee good thing about my core is that you can make it tough by putting counter force 100% but you can also put it to 0 and play it easy like before but with all the angles fixed - for left right and front nudge.

Archived