PIN2DMD EVO128x32 Controller Board

lucky1

• Content Provider

Hi guys. I have an EVO PCB latest version and when it is turned on it has about a 30% rate of booting up. When it works the red led is lit and the green power led is on and the led panels show an image. When it doesn't work the red led is not lit and the green power led is still on and the led panels are blank/off. 

If I hit the reset button it will work again. I have checked the buttons to see if any are stuck or shorted but all check out. I have also flashed the firmware again, swapped over different led panels, connectors, power cables etc and have determined it to be the actual PCB.

It is like it is getting power but will not complete or start the boot process most of the time.

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider
On 10/28/2020 at 7:45 PM, Terranigma said:

Hi guys. I have an EVO PCB latest version and when it is turned on it has about a 30% rate of booting up. When it works the red led is lit and the green power led is on and the led panels show an image. When it doesn't work the red led is not lit and the green power led is still on and the led panels are blank/off. 

If I hit the reset button it will work again. I have checked the buttons to see if any are stuck or shorted but all check out. I have also flashed the firmware again, swapped over different led panels, connectors, power cables etc and have determined it to be the actual PCB.

It is like it is getting power but will not complete or start the boot process most of the time.

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen? Thanks

Please try version 3.18 . I added a delay to SD card init.

Hi Lucky1,

I had exactly the same issue with one of my boards. The screens would only fire up every third time or so that power was turned on (i would do this in 10 second successions).

once the screen turned on there was no issues.

I could manually start the screen by pressing the reset button.

Tried 3.18 but unfortunately that made no difference.

Any further ideas?

Many thanks

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, scoby78 said:

Hi Lucky1,

I had exactly the same issue with one of my boards. The screens would only fire up every third time or so that power was turned on (i would do this in 10 second successions).

once the screen turned on there was no issues.

I could manually start the screen by pressing the reset button.

Tried 3.18 but unfortunately that made no difference.

Any further ideas?

Many thanks

Is this with SD card inserted ? If yes, could you please check if it works when SD card is removed ?

• Content Provider
On 11/25/2020 at 6:06 AM, lucky1 said:

Please try version 3.18 . I added a delay to SD card init.

Hi Lucky1, I will try that and let you know. I am having problems with or without the SD card inserted. I think it may be a manufacturing issue rather than any firmware issues. @dzorbas also had this issue on one of his boards and he is also going to look into it.

I think it could be either a faulty part or manufacturing issue.

I will report back with the 3.18 fw results.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Hey @lucky1 I have just got another evo 128x32 with the same issues as the above post. It will only boot every 2 or 3 power cycles. This is a hardware fault but I'm concerned it's still happening at manufacture and others are getting it too.

Would you have any direction for me to start looking at to try and find what the cause of the issue is?

What happens is, you power on the PCB and the green power LED always comes on but the screens stay off. If you turn off the power and turn it back on again several times (sometimes you have to do this up to 3 or 4 times) it will turn on and work properly.

You can also hit the reset button when it is not coming on and it will 100% of the time come back on. 

I have desoldered the buttons and also swapped them just in case they were the issue but this PCB using a different brand of buttons so I don't think that is the problem.

I'm working with PCBway on this as I did with other faults in the past to try and rectify any manufacturing issues so other people don't get the same problems. It seems the button swap over to a different brand is working for me and others too so hopefully we can sort this out as well.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

• Content Provider

9 hours ago, goredaimon said:

Hello friends, how are you?

I just received some pictures from PCBWAY to check component orientation and polarity. People have problem with that?

Also, about the hub75 connector, do I have to solder it at home or it will be included by pcbway?

This is the right place to ask such questions

• 1 year later...

I keep getting INVALID UPDATE when trying to upgrade firmware from v4.07 to v4.33 via SD Card .UPD file. Is the UPD file on the gitHub corrupt maybe?

UPDATE: was able to get it... the non-working version kept downloading at 223K. Was able to finally get to the correct version that was 335K

Edited by dondi

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...