Sign in to follow this  
lucky1

PIN2DMD EVO128x32 Controller Board

I uploaded the Eagle files and BOM list of the new PIN2DMD EVO128x32 controller board to my github account here
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/EVO128x32

Technically it is based on the schematics of the Nucleo 429ZI board, the V4 shield and the XL4015 DC-DC converter
but all on a single PCB which also is used as a mounting plate for the LED panels. I designed it for my private use and ordered a test run from a chinese manufacturer called pcbway. They offer turnkey manufacturing which means that they also source the parts and fully assembles the pcbs. Including tax and shipping it cost me 700 Euro which is 70 Euro for each pcb and  almost the same price as the parts needed for the V4 shield, the Nucleo board and the acrylic frame. It can use 12V or 5V as a a power source.

The eagle files are free to use for everyone who wants to organize a group buy or sell them in a shop because I still don´t sell any hardware. Here are some pictures of my testboard.

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

Just looking at the power connectors for the LED displays. Are you soldering the wires onto the board after manufacture at PCBWay? 

If yes, then wouldn't it be better to have suitable through holes in the PCB to be able to solder the wires with a better physical connection?

If no, please provide a photo of the other side of the PCB (with the LED displays removed).

No time to remove the panels to make a picture but you can have a look at the eagle files.
There are solder pads on the other side. I don´t see a big advantage in throughholes for this.

This is freakin sweet!!! 

Question, I’ve never soldered surface mount but I’ve seen videos. How would you propose to assemble this? Are there pcb manufacturers that could do the surface mount soldering? 

2 hours ago, tjc02002 said:

This is freakin sweet!!! 

Question, I’ve never soldered surface mount but I’ve seen videos. How would you propose to assemble this? Are there pcb manufacturers that could do the surface mount soldering? 

I read your whole post this time! I see you got them assembled from pcb way. Did they assemble everything on the big pcb and then you just added the led panels and cables and then connect the power wires? If everything works well, could you possibly set up a duplicate order for other people just to buy direct from them fully assembled? 

fly    6

great job Lucky,
I have a question on how to download an eagle file from github ??
and the second question, how to program the device ??

7 minutes ago, fly said:

I have a question on how to download an eagle file from github ??

Right click on the RAW button and select "Save link as"

7 minutes ago, fly said:

and the second question, how to program the device ??

USB DFU mode or ST-Link

On 9/18/2018 at 11:31 AM, fly said:

Is the controller board, apart from the software, different in construction to stern, williams etc. ??

Thank you

The board is functionally the same as the V4 shield mounted to the Nucleo STM32 dev. board.   The same unit can be used for Stern, Williams, Data East, Sega, etc.      I don't believe anyone other than Lucky1 actually has one of these yet.   If I'm mistaken, I'm sure someone will chime in shortly.