Serial cable connection - v3/v4 to stern db9

Can anyone tell me which wires from the v4 shield need to be connected to which pins on the db9 to communicate palette switches for Metallica (stern SAM). I believe all I need to connect are ground, Rx, and maybe Tx. More specific questions I’m thinking: 

do you connect Rx on Pin2dmd shield to Tx on the db9? 

Do you need 5v or just ground?

do you even need to connect Tx from Pin2dmd?

I don’t see a reason for the Pin2dmd to need to transmit data to the Pinball. I would just guess that the Pinball transmits which palette to use to the Pin2dmd therefore you only really need Tx from Pinball connected to Rx on Pin2dmd shield. Plus connecting ground is good for stable signal I would think. 

Any advice would be great. Thank you. 

-Tom

On 8/8/2018 at 11:32 AM, lucky1 said:

TX from SAM board to RX on pin2dmd shield and GND is enough.

Huh. I connected pin 3 on the db9 connected to the game to Rx1(pin13) on the shield(max232), and ground and it doesn’t seem to be working. Does this sound right? 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I’m having an interesting problem. Here is the story:

Previously (about a year ago) my uncle had a Metallica pro pinball machine. I had built him a V2 Pin2dmd and we used the TTL RS232 adapter which uses the max232 chip. In that game we had a rom and pal file and it worked well in that game. Fast forward a year and now I get a Metallica Pro machine. So I install my latest build V4(uncle sash shield pcb) Pin2dmd using onboard serial connection.  I’ve loaded the same rom and pal file as was loaded on my uncles machine a year ago and something strange is happening. All of the scenes seem to be colored properly. I can even recolor a scene in Pinball browser and load the rom into the machine and it shows up good. Only things not working properly are the single player score screen and the song select radio looking screen. Those screens seem to use whatever palette was loaded rather than loading the proper palette assigned to those screens. It’s weird because it’s like it’s working 90% but just these two things aren’t properly loading the palette. I’m going to dig into the pal file a little more but it’s just weird because these files worked fine on a previous setup. Thanks for any help. 

43 minutes ago, Rappelbox said:

We could try a pin2dmd/Pinball Browser combination ;)

Which version ROM are you running?

Pm me if you’re interested

Wow. That’s a very interesting idea. I’m pretty comfortable with the editor so I could set this up pretty easily. Plus it would let me fix the 1 or 2 things that I didn’t find in Pinball browser. The rom is custom but is based off 1.7. Just weird that it worked on a previous setup. 

Archived