Working together with colorization

Hi guys!

We have trouble creating the keyframe for the Judge Dredd, and Indy. We would like to cooperate with some one who is the "master of keyframes" :) 
We can do all the colorization, but cant make the right/working keyframes.
In the future we can make other projects colorization.

If you would like to help us, please leave a message!

Thanks!

Logen

• Content Provider

I would like to help you but currently don´t have the time. Maybe @DJRobX has time to help you.
He has written a very good instruction how to use ColMask

It looks like Lucky has offered to help a couple times, you may want to take him up on that.   That is primarily what I did on the WCS 94 colorization also.  

Masking and dynamic scenes aren't normally too hard once you get a feel for them.      Lets use the score screen as an example.    You will want to start by finding a score frame in the recording and make a 1-frame "animation" out of it.      With most projects that have 4-color original DMDs,  you are looking to draw "blocks" that shift the colors from the 1-4 spots in the palette to other groups.    

So lets say I start with this:

5b3506a50accc_ScreenShot2018-06-28at9_01_23AM.thumb.png.65409427a66e3c1f71559829f35fd837.png

This is the "plain" 4 color DMD.  The darker pixels currently have a red hue because of the first 4 palette entries.      But in color mask mode, I can "shift" them to the other 3 palette groups.    You start by picking "Color mask" as indicated by the red arrow.     Then you pick one of the circled colors and "draw" over the frame (I usually use the filled square).   

5b3505b4c3daa_ScreenShot2018-06-28at8_41_28AM.thumb.png.d2806b8561186332ba3279193bc3b6b8.png 

This is a very powerful colorization technique because it does not lose the dynamic content coming from the DMD, it is only altering colors in certain locations.   The message in the above screen could change  and it doesn't matter, the colors are kept. 

But along those lines, we need to identify the proper time to use this colorization.   That's when the *border* is there.     Check "d-mask" on the right and move the number up until you find an empty mask.   Empty masks will be all blue.    You can then click the inverse button, pick the second color, and draw an appropriate area.   In this case I'm going to use the upper right corner.   More on that later. 

5b3516f21c4a2_ScreenShot2018-06-28at10_04_40AM.thumb.png.ed485076ac8c6474ef0440369f27b29d.png

Now you can create the keyframe with the mask you drew.   The mask will turn red (which means you can no longer change it) and you'll see Mx in the keyframe checksum.    Now any time a frame with this border shows up I will get my color mask colorization, it doesn't matter what the message is (as you can see above, I keyed off a different frame than I colored).       If you wonder why I chose such a small area, it's because there are a very limited number of masks.   The more "generic" I make that mask, the higher the probability is that I can re use it for different things.     The pixels it selects need to be specific though, you don't want it detecting at the wrong time.   If the pixels picked in the preview area are all white for example, that's probably not going to work well. 

Hope this helps.

Archived