Which Tutorials To Make?

DeeGor

• Content Provider

So, I would like to get a few more tutorials done, so we can be a decent resource for learning.  I've made one so far, and Itchigo has a couple as well.  My knowledge is somewhat limited in certain areas, but if someone wants to go in with me, I'll be more than happy to make the tutorials.  I just may need to expand my knowledge in certain areas a bit before I can make them.

Here are just a few tutorial ideas I had:

Adding B2B collision / Ball Rolling Sounds to older tables

Layback Adjustments

Lighting effects

Redrawing images

Using an old PC power supply for cabinets

The complete pincab's software setup (VP + FP + UVP + B2S + LEDWiz)

Can anyone think of any more, and which ones would be the best to focus on first?

I wouldn't mind seeing one with pointers on how any graphic redraws should be done/handled.  Soon as i'm done my theme project on HS I'm probably gonna dive into the pinball world, try to at least help out graphically as much as I can.  May not really require an entire tutorial though,.... just my 2 cents.

• Content Provider

Personally, I would love to see a good tutorial on re-drawing a playfield.  I even have a good simple playfield that would be a great playfield to re-draw for the tutorial.

I've been thinking about making a PF redraw tutorial for awhile now. Between work, kids and my own vp projects time is a bit thin but I'd be willing to try. What PF do you have Dazz?

Personally, I'd like to see more table building/coding tutorials.  It seems like we have a large stock pile of playfields without builders/coders to finish them.  I'm finally learning how to build/code but some structured education would be much appreciated.

• Administrators

I'm looking to learn to build a VP table myself.  I'm re-shopping my 1969 EM Road Race that I've had since I was 2.  I have taken about 400 pictures of it.  The plastics have been re-drawn already, but the playfiled has not.  The playfield is mainly made of simple shapes so I would assume that a re-draw of it would be fairly simple.

• Content Provider

Maybe I'll try building a new table and do little mini tutorials for each aspect of the build.  ie: drop targets, slingshots, VUKs, lighting, bumpers, ramps etc...

I've been toying with the idea for awhile, but just never settled down to do it.  Do we have any resources for a simple table?

• Content Provider

I tried to put my templates  up for you guys but they were too big. I think they were 1mb (or just over) and the limit was 512. They would be most useful to new builders as they're basiclly pre done blank games. You only code what you add to them. Building is my area, coding, I'm decent at. But every table is different- only the basics stay the same.

You also have to understand that we're dealing with virgin builders here. P1 knows as much as anyone, but for a noob to grasp what he does, it may be a bit much.

Just my 2 cents... (all I have).

• Content Provider

You also have to understand that we're dealing with virgin builders here. P1 knows as much as anyone, but for a noob to grasp what he does, it may be a bit much.

Definitely keep player1 away from virgins, he needs girls with experience.

• Content Provider

Dazz, how about doing a multi-part, multi-person tutorial build of Road Race?  PF redraw, lighting, building, em coding.  People could follow along and do their own builds. It covers some good, more complex issues like flippers with ramp or primative overlay.  I would love to learn EM coding.  Just have to make sure it gets finished so it doesn't end up like the other  workshops.  Need a project manager. :unsure:

• Content Provider

Dazz, how about doing a multi-part, multi-person tutorial build of Road Race?  PF redraw, lighting, building, em coding.  People could follow along and do their own builds. It covers some good, more complex issues like flippers with ramp or primative overlay.  I would love to learn EM coding.  Just have to make sure it gets finished so it doesn't end up like the other  workshops.  Need a project manager. :unsure:

This sounds like a great idea.  Maybe we could even do a class for the "VP Academy", where a single person would lead and others would be there to ask questions.

As long as someone buys me dinner I don't mind loosing my virginity....maybe desert to.  HA!

I'm definitely on board for some type of "class" so as to speak.  Sometimes i'm pretty good at looking through a table and figuring out how/what/why, but especially on the code side i'm left scratching my head.  

• Content Provider

virginity i lost that many years ago , so long i don't even know what it feels like to be one.

yeah i do have a vision in my head of a complete tutorial from art to script on a simple table with source files for each step.

problem is this will be a huge undertaking and take a long long time. i will probably start one early next year.

the table i would like to do is breakshot as it looks like an easy build and redraw. i had already gathered many resources for it last year.

another thing my method of doing vp tables and art could be a bit confusing as i have streamlined the process over many yrs now. i am not a very good teacher so i will need help. 

tagi3d who was an original member of the Ozpin team specializes in e-learning and has a very large company that does just that. i hope to get him to help. tagi is also a pretty decent 3d moddeler.

and those 2 tutorials should be one dazz for pop bumpers and slings cause the basic animation coding is the same.

Scott if you read this i think your template table needs to be released here for people to play with maybe ?

• Content Provider

Ill do some updates for the new alpha ramp stuff and get it up here.I have a half done tutorial I was working on with grizz for comet. It is a big undertaking. Took about 3 months and its only the basic layout of the pegs and guides so far

• Administrators

Yes the comet tut is half done brother Scott.

also..here is pic of road race..i had done over a year back now ?

Posted Imageroad.png

Yo Grizz!  Good to see you joined here.  After reading some of your posts on VPF I was beginning to wonder if you would come around.  It would be great to see the Comet tutorial completed, you guys were doing so well on that.

That version you posted of Road Race appears to be different than the last one that I pulled from the dropbox.  The playfield is actually different than the real playfield.  The playfield in your image is the one that was on the old VP8 version of the table.  The top lanes don't line up correctly, notice the larger gap for lane 1 and compare it with lane 4. These lanes should be equally spaced and was throwing off proportions when building. The playfield colors are actually off by several shades.  I just thought that RR playfied would be simple to redraw and make for a fairly quick tutorial on re-drawing.

• 3 weeks later...

1. a tutorial on fading lights written better than the one at vpf would be a nice addition

I can't understand the one over there at all

2. and maybe one about animation or moving pics in a pin using drop walls

3. or maybe a tutorial on how to use Photoshop for redoing a table

like how to angle a slanted or rotated play field pic

so it can be used as the actual image for the play field

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

how about a table template that has ONLY a 'start and end game' to it

I need one that has just that since the MJ wip crapped out on me yet again taking the template with it

it does not load up and play at all any more so I need to drop the wip into an existing template

but one with NO pop bumpers or animated plunger routines

• Content Provider

Faralos, I could do that for you. I think I have an animated target demo up at Rogue. I know I did one, don't remember if I uploaded it or not. Animated targets are easy to do. Drop the front target, leaving the back target up. Then, with a timer, drop the back one and raise the front one. I could make you a special template for that too.

Archived