Ugh. Pin2DMD fried?

• Content Provider

Stupid, stupid mistake.

Plugged in my Pin2DMD for the first time a couple of days ago.  Was using a 12v power supply.  Powered on great.  

Then I disconnected the power connections so that I could mount it to my DMD/Speaker panel today.  I connected the power up, but due to the lack of a good working space, I accidentally connected the positive to the negative and the negative to the positive on the DC-DC power converter board that takes the input volts and drops it down to 5 volts.

That board smoked right away.  

My main question is this.  Is the whole PIN2DMD destroyed? Just the DC-DC board?  The only "smoked" smell is from the DC-DC board, and nothing else, but this is electricity and it doesn't require much to be wrong to damage something.

Any advise.  I don't want to start trying things without the DC-DC board in fear of making something else work.

pin2dmd-smoked.thumb.jpg.81eb1a89d05a8d49e825f964ae9e059c.jpg

With the board removed, I am pretty sure that I would just need to apply 5v, instead of 12, to the following locations.

pin2dmd-no-board.thumb.jpg.aa977bf9e0932e003850c5e4a09066cb.jpg

Any help or advice (beside not connecting the power in reverse polarity) would be great.

• Content Provider

So the DC-DC converter took all of the punishment and didn't pass the power on downstream?  Nice!

Thanks for the part number.  I see several on eBay for about $4 shipped.  Might pay $5.69 from Amazon and get it on Monday instead of having to wait until next Saturday.

Does it have to look exactly the same, or as long as it is one of them that looks similar it is OK?

I also assume that I will have to adjust the output voltage to get it to be 5V.  I will be sure to test that with a voltmeter before connecting it all back together.

Here is the style of the one I was looking at on Amazon:

61TAVc21QEL._SL1000_.jpg

Thanks!

• Content Provider

Quick update.  I applied 5V to the two areas I marked in one of the above photos.  Worked perfect.  I am still going to use the DC-DC converter so that I can use my under-utilized 12V power supply, and save my 5V power supply for other things.

Thanks. 

• Content Provider

Another update.  So I removed the old board to replace it, and the new board is a different size....

board-sizes.thumb.jpg.a743dfbb7d39816a1ff852c275d374d5.jpg

Not a problem since Sash's board has connections for both:

board-connections.thumb.jpg.5be838ecd828581d891dbdc8fbb53eaa.jpg

I tested the new assembly once I installed the new board, and it was set to output max voltage.  I had to dial in down a lot to get it down to 5.00v.  I unplugged the power supply and plugged it back in a couple of times to verify that it was going to hold a steady 5.00v after restarts, to simulate the cabinet power cycling.  It did.

I then put it back on to the Pin2DMD and am seeing the following lights, which I *think* are correct since I don't have a data signal, etc.

back-together.thumb.jpg.3da4938006c68bc42e77524cc73dec58.jpg

And the front looks good.... 

working-again.thumb.jpg.49ac1a7ee3507518f2f8d4cae9ff2a4e.jpg

• Content Provider

Well done ! You have to adjust your RGB sequence in the onscreen menu that the colors match the picture on the top of this page.
Just hold the menu button during powerup to access the onscreen menu.

Archived