Ghostbusters - just testing

• Administrators

I decided to fire up Pinball Browser and start messing around with doing my first colorization.  Decided to tackle the Stern logo first. Deleted the pinball image, drew in Slimer and slimed the logo.  I know it's not much, but it's a start to learning how to do this.

stern_gb_color_slimed.png

• Content Provider

Hi Dazz,

great ! Can you open the binary vpinspa uses ?

There are a couple of things you need to have in mind when editing spike ROMs

- make sure you always keep the macro for your changes
- spike roms only support 3 methods to store palette information
     1.  in-fame (smartdmd tab)
     2.  a single palette for the whole ROM (
     3. switching palette by assigning  keyframes to all colorized scenes with pin2dmd editor

• Administrators
7 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Hi Dazz,

great ! Can you open the binary vpinspa uses ?

There are a couple of things you need to have in mind when editing spike ROMs

- make sure you always keep the macro for your changes
- spike roms only support 3 methods to store palette information
     1.  in-fame (smartdmd tab)
     2.  a single palette for the whole ROM (
     3. switching palette by assigning  keyframes to all colorized scenes with pin2dmd editor

You use the .spk from Stern and then have to extract the image.bin from it.

This is the only frame I've done so far... I'm using Pinball Browser right now.  So, I'm not quite sure what any of this means yet. I haven't had to create/use a new palette, but it looks like I will need one for the next scene.

• 4 months later...

Yes it is possible to build a .spk file out of the TPA bin.    It's fascinating because it's kind of a hybrid of SAM & Spike - it has SAM ADPCM audio samples instead of the stereo ones the real SPK has.   But PinballBrowser has no trouble with the format. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Content Provider

I also started to colorize this one until I got aware of the fact that it is not possible to use color masks for the dynamic content. Would be interesting to know if there is a better way with different methods or software, I never tried pinball browser yet.

• Administrators

I tested this and was not able to ever get it working with the current method of SPA.  I don't think this one is going to happen... at least not by me.

I would probably give my right arm - which is my colouring arm - to see this. Thinking out loud, if we did a PIN2DMD project and exported it for real pin, put the fsq on the sdcard, then played the VPX, would that work? I can't try this myself, I am away from home at the minute and no VPX or PIN2DMD but can maybe have a quick go this weekend. I do appreciate this would be restricted to real PIN2DMD users only, but maybe it's an option?

@NetzZWerg what is the issue with dynamic content? I haven't tried pinball browser myself yet, is that restriction common to all modern stern games?

• Content Provider

You can use the same method CB3 is using with X-Men dynamic scenes which is a combination of pinball Browser combined with simple palette switches in the pin2dmd editor. Maybe he can explain the details. 

• 2 years later...
On 3/30/2018 at 3:07 PM, Dazz said:

I decided to fire up Pinball Browser and start messing around with doing my first colorization.  Decided to tackle the Stern logo first. Deleted the pinball image, drew in Slimer and slimed the logo.  I know it's not much, but it's a start to learning how to do this.

stern_gb_color_slimed.png

Did a Color Dmd ever get finished for ghostbusters ?