New to vp and having issue updating to vpx 10.4

Hey everyone,  I'm brand new to vp and I'm having an issue. I just bought a new cab and having an isue. My new cab (VPCabs) has visual pinball and I tried to update to vpx 10.4, but now none of my tables work (worked before). I am not everly computer literate and I'm finding that I have a lot to learn to update my cab and add new tables that have higher resolution. Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance

looks like you need the rom file for this table.

You need the table file which is the table, you need the backglass file, and you need a rom file which runs the pinmame dmd.  Look at that error asking for the rom, download that file from this site and put into your piname/roms folder.  Leave the rom file  a zip file as well

Simple. Create a new vpx database in Pinballx, install vpx all in one installer, add vpx tables to your new vpx database. All the vp9 tables will be ok as long as you install the all in one in same folder as before. It’s not hard and plenty of topics in this forum or Pinballx forum providing step by step instructions to do it. The question has been asked many times so you should be able to find topics easy

Thanks randr and bambiplattfuss but I'll need to research more first. To be honest, this is part of the reason I bought a vpcabs machine and did not try to take on building everything from scratch as I am not sure how to do that.  I already know thay before I tried to install 10.4 I should of backed up my drive. First lesson learned. Hind sight is 20/20. I know for most on the site all of this stuff is second nature, but I'm green as green gets. Thanks to everyone being helpful and patient with me and my questions.

Well I will say then you should have left it alone as it was. I will also say it’s illegal to commercial sell a cab with all the software installed but seems nobody cares about that. Contact vpcabs have them fix it with a re imaged drive [emoji20] sorry but you need to do it yourself it’s not hard to do and is the way you must do it.

I had no idea and I am someone who does care. Is it better to  wipe it all out (keeping the fx2 tables purchased through zen) and starting over?  I want to do it right and the right /proper way. I would not want something that was loaded without proper authorization. I would rather wipe it out and start from scratch and struggle for as long as it takes than to try to reload something that should not have been loaded to start with by vpcabs. Pretty bummed out...

Well you earned my respect. But you don’t need to start from scratch. Just fix vp9(easy) then worry about vpx. My guess is you installed vp in a different folder then vpcabs as long as you didn’t change any pbx settings post a screen shot of visual pinball settings within pbx settings that will tell us where vp was installed then can go from there

Okay so now you have 2 versions of visual pinball it seems, one at the c: root level and one in program files.  The all in 1 installer most likely put everything into c: which is preferred

Since you are a raw rookie maybe a few guides to read, there are others as well if you google.  It is hard telling you what to do in 5 mins or less.  Once you are halfway up to speed makes it easier

I recommend running the uninstaller. And the follow this guide. What will happen is that you still will have the c:\program files\visual pinball folder available. ( See this as the old - inactive VP install and you can copy roms, user, music and tables folder (no *.vbs files from table folder please) into the new directory structure).

http://vpinball.com/forums/topic/pinup-player-video-tutorials-for-setup-and-install-for-all-systems/

So, after completing that guide. You can move eg. all the roms from c:\program files\visual pinball\pinmame\roms folder to the new location. One thing that you'll have to fix by doing this is that your PinballX isn't aware that you've changed the VP location so you have to point to the new *.exe for each system you run. VP9, PM5 and VPX ... if you've set those all up already.

5 hours ago, Thalamus said:

I recommend running the uninstaller. And the follow this guide. What will happen is that you still will have the c:\program files\visual pinball folder available. ( See this as the old - inactive VP install and you can copy roms, user, music and tables folder (no *.vbs files from table folder please) into the new directory structure).

http://vpinball.com/forums/topic/pinup-player-video-tutorials-for-setup-and-install-for-all-systems/

So, after completing that guide. You can move eg. all the roms from c:\program files\visual pinball\pinmame\roms folder to the new location. One thing that you'll have to fix by doing this is that your PinballX isn't aware that you've changed the VP location so you have to point to the new *.exe for each system you run. VP9, PM5 and VPX ... if you've set those all up already.

Nice, I was trying to find a easy updated video, did not realize Terry covers the basics as well in these.  Glad there are more references for people like Charlie trying to learn this. 

Yeah. I know. That is why I was so happy Terry did these. I put them on the wiki so I don't loose them. They where made with PUP in mind. But, when I looked at them I found that he did explain every step needed from the bottom up. Very nice tutorial and in a quality that actually good enough to follow.

Ok, I must be completely computer  illiterate and very concerned. So from the videos attached, it appears that I need to start from ground zero and I'm very worried. I m afraid that the more I'm touching and clicking, the more damage I'm doing. I'm afraid that reinstalling everything will cause to need reconfigured (i.e. shaker motor, solenoids,  did, etc.) And I going to end up with a cab that is completey not running. I downloaded 10.4 vpx and now uninstalled it. Still nothing (other than pinball fx2) works. I thought that downloading the new version would allow me to play better, higher resolution versions of games. I had no idea that it would shutdown everything. I believe hat the cab is Windows xp,  don'tknow if that is a fdqctor or not. If I download everyhing in the videos (visual pinball, future pinball, pinball x, etc.) Will I lose the programmng of the lights etc.? Man I think I've messed the whole thing up with one click.

Well. Yöu've broken it already. if you don't fix it - it will still be broken.

To be honest. VP is for people who are willing to try. Or, you get outdated.

When you updated, you didn't choose update - you installed a new version into a different location. That broke it simply because of new registry entries for VP. It is fixable, but, you'll end up with being just as outdated.

I just wonder what you're going to do when eg. your hard-drive breaks ? Do you know how to restore the cab back ? Don't you think it would be better to learn how to do this ? It used to be very hard - now, it really isn't any more.

Randr, I'm currently backing up my hard drive, then going to follow MajorFrenchies videos and will set up exactly same. Going to pass on TerryReds upgrades until I get it working. I watched Terrys video first and MajorFrenchies is what I should have seen first. Need to start at the beginning, but worried I will lose my fx2 games as they are the only thing working. 

Archived