"avr_200"  - Avatar
"avs_170"  - Avengers
"wpt_140a" - World Poker Tour
"tf_180h"  - Transformers LE
"bdk_294"  - Batman Dark Knight
"shr_141"    - Shrek
"bbh_170"    - Big Buck Hunter
"smanve_101"  - Spiderman Vault edition
"nba_802"    - Stern NBA (added in  this latest relase)

• 2 weeks later...

topic says sambuild3.1 but Rob and Stumblor seems to have done some new rom hacking, not  SAM specific this time. Well. Topic is kind of misleading by now. This seems to have become the official beta build for "regular" VPM 3.1.

Safe Cracker, No Good Gofers, Cactus Canyon, Champions Pub, Cirqus Voltaire, Junk Yard, NBA FastBreak, Scared Stiff and Congo, all seems to be getting "rom hacks" for fast flip.

Awesome DjRobX and Stumblor ! Thank you in advance Carny ;)

On 7/6/2018 at 1:39 AM, Thalamus said:

topic says sambuild3.1 but Rob and Stumblor seems to have done some new rom hacking, not  SAM specific this time. Well. Topic is kind of misleading by now. This seems to have become the official beta build for "regular" VPM 3.1.

Safe Cracker, No Good Gofers, Cactus Canyon, Champions Pub, Cirqus Voltaire, Junk Yard, NBA FastBreak, Scared Stiff and Congo, all seems to be getting "rom hacks" for fast flip.

Awesome DjRobX and Stumblor ! Thank you in advance Carny ;)

Indeed.. I fail to beat Carnys update speed here with new builds, so i do not try even anymore..  ;)

Not sure where to report this.  Running latest vpm with the new AFM and with the colored VNI. (still on 1.7.0 of freezy) . In video mode it feels just very wrong. Normally I can put up a real fight to the ufo's. It is like the dmd is behind by quite a lot. I guess I need to try out some more combinations. I'm on a pindmd3 btw.

Uh: I see now that there is a color improvement for 1.7.1 of freezy. Updating. I'll report back if it is resolved.

Update: So, 1.7.1 of freezy is significantly better, but I still seem to have a slight delay. Maybe it is not resolvable. Using the smart bomb (enter/plunger) if I'm in trouble doesn't help. It seems the ufo has landed already. We're not talking about huge delays here.

Update2: Seems to be VNI related so probably should not be in this thread in the first place. But, well - @DJRobX might read it here. Turning off the color support and its back to normal. 

4 hours ago, Thalamus said:

Not sure where to report this.  Running latest vpm with the new AFM and with the colored VNI. (still on 1.7.0 of freezy) . In video mode it feels just very wrong. Normally I can put up a real fight to the ufo's. It is like the dmd is behind by quite a lot. I guess I need to try out some more combinations. I'm on a pindmd3 btw.

Uh: I see now that there is a color improvement for 1.7.1 of freezy. Updating. I'll report back if it is resolved.

Update: So, 1.7.1 of freezy is significantly better, but I still seem to have a slight delay. Maybe it is not resolvable. Using the smart bomb (enter/plunger) if I'm in trouble doesn't help. It seems the ufo has landed already. We're not talking about huge delays here.

Update2: Seems to be VNI related so probably should not be in this thread in the first place. But, well - @DJRobX might read it here. Turning off the color support and its back to normal. 

I noticed this slowdown during testing too in the lead up to release.

6 hours ago, Thalamus said:

I think this is a PinDMD3 implementation issue.  When you are using a VNI you are getting a 16 color DMD.  Looking at the rendering code PinDMD3 does not have a high efficiency implementation for 16 color output, so it will revert to render it as a full RGB24.     In 2 bit (4 color) mode it knows how to apply palettes.     Note that it has always been this way on SAM colorizations too, but SAM tables aren't big on video modes so you may have never really noticed.

I don't have a PinDMD3 so I can't really help fix it. 

Specifically a "RenderColoredGray4(ColoredFrame frame)" implementation as Pin2DMD has is probably needed here. 

I would probably go for a lcd solution before a pin2dmd. I still haven't seen a pin2dmd with clear bright display. Also, there has been a lot of discussion and uncertainty around suppliers. Prove me wrong and I might do [emoji4]

I only recently got a pin2dmd and it looks amazing very bright and clear, couldn’t imagine an lcd getting anywhere near it. Looks way better if you are into that aesthetic from the dmd era.

1 hour ago, Thalamus said:

I would probably go for a lcd solution before a pin2dmd. I still haven't seen a pin2dmd with clear bright display. Also, there has been a lot of discussion and uncertainty around suppliers. Prove me wrong and I might do :)

you don't need a supplier

if you have a pindmd3,  you can easily switch back and forth from a pindmd3 and a PIN2DMD.

all you need to do is buy a discovery board (buy one from a US distributor or you might end up with a clone if get one from China) 

and a version 1-3 shield ( if you are comfortable soldering wires from a 16 pin male ribbon cable;  you don't even need this)

and use the same power supply and RGB panels you have from the pindmd3

1 hour ago, Thalamus said:

I would probably go for a lcd solution before a pin2dmd. I still haven't seen a pin2dmd with clear bright display. Also, there has been a lot of discussion and uncertainty around suppliers. Prove me wrong and I might do :)

you don't need a supplier

if you have a pindmd3,  you can easily switch back and forth from a pindmd3 and a PIN2DMD.

all you need to do is buy a discovery board (buy one from a US distributor or you might end up with a clone if get one from China) 

and a version 1-3 shield ( if you are comfortable soldering wires from a 16 pin male ribbon cable;  you don't even need this)

and use the same power supply and RGB panels you have from the pindmd3

I have ditched my PinDMD3's in favor of a LCD screen.  I'm willing to ship one of my old PinDMD3 to someone to try and find the issue if you want (DJRobx I guess) if you want.  I do want it back, but I can live without it for a little while.  

• Content Provider

Here is the PIN2DMD initial wiring with no PCB required

17 hours ago, Thalamus said:

What specific discovery board do I need ? And where is the documentation for where to solder each pin ?

Here is the original PIN2DMD pinout for  the Discovery STm32F4 board with no shield PCB needed.

You need the RGB panels, ST Discovery board, a HUB75 ribbon cable and some Dupont wires like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/181846678573

Wiring pic examples here: 

Pin2DMD installation - 1st Test and VPinMame.pdf

Archived