SAMBuild3.1 beta thread

CarnyPriest

Having trouble with some of my walking dead tables but works in one of them, strange.  any ideas

works with:

Walking Dead (Stern)(2014)(Gronimod)(0.95 Beta)

regular speed with:

Walking Dead (Stern)(2014)(ICPjuggla, Fren, Dozer, Flupper, Dark)(1.5)

Walking Dead (Stern)(2014)(Siggi, Dozer)(1.0 Mod)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, slydog43 said:

Having trouble with some of my walking dead tables but works in one of them, strange.  any ideas

works with:

Walking Dead (Stern)(2014)(Gronimod)(0.95 Beta)

regular speed with:

Walking Dead (Stern)(2014)(ICPjuggla, Fren, Dozer, Flupper, Dark)(1.5)

Walking Dead (Stern)(2014)(Siggi, Dozer)(1.0 Mod)

Not sure which mine is but my script has this near the top in the ascii art logo

'@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ TABLE BY ICPJUGGLA AND FRENETICAMNESIC @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
'@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ SCRIPT BY FRENETICAMNESIC AND GTXJOE @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
'@@@@@@ MODELS BY FRENETICAMNESIC, RANDR, FLUPPER, DARK, AND ZANY @@@@@@
'@@@@@ RESOURCES PROVIDED BY NORTHVIBE, URIELL, PAULO, AND PINBILL @@@@@
'@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hi, I too have gone through the whole list and heres what I saw.

All worked 100% fine except the following,

1 - WPT is definitely the correct ROM, but the ms output is identical to before (17ish)

2 - Avengers might have worked, but the ms output display on the table I'm using is messed up, its just constatnyl increasing at a rapid rate so you can't get any meaningful output (it was like this before I added the FFlipsSAM init). So migth have worked, not sure.

3 - I too am having a bit of an issue with Family Guy, I have 1200af as well, but I've coloured it so not sure how I go about using 1200. For now, I'm leaving it as it is.

4 - I didn't test Dark Knight or Transformers as I'm only using VPX on my cabinet now and I don't have VPX versions of those tables....(yet)

On 5/31/2018 at 11:03 PM, coreduo0099 said:

Next one.. Family Guy from 10/21/2017  timeframe seems to use fg1200af and putting the new script additions kills the flippers. 

Tried Const cGameName = "fg_1200" instead of "fg_1200af" and renamed rom and rom contents to fg_1200 but no luck.

Yes ... any of the fg_1200 roms ought to work, but I haven't tested them all.    I've only tried "af".    If the flippers are getting 'killed' that means the table has something about it that's preventing the solenoid swap from working (not a VPM problem but a script problem).   The way fast flips work, either the flippers are on (bypassed VPM) or ROM-controlled.  If they are dead then something didn't go right with the init.

What FG table are you using?  I will take a look.

8 hours ago, Iain1986 said:

1 - WPT is definitely the correct ROM, but the ms output is identical to before (17ish)

2 - Avengers might have worked, but the ms output display on the table I'm using is messed up, its just constatnyl increasing at a rapid rate so you can't get any meaningful output (it was like this before I added the FFlipsSAM init). So migth have worked, not sure.

1 - I checked this and it works fine for me.    One thing that is unusual about this table is that the upper flippers are both connected to the lower flippers as well as their own upper-flipper solenoids (so the game's self-flipping "demo" to warn you about where the ball is going to be kicked out works).  It's possible that the ROM is flipping these "later" and showing you the slower measurements even though they actually flipped faster, but it does not behave that way for me.    This might fall into the "needs additional configuration" category to be 100% correct, but I don't see any problems on mine with this table.  

You may want to do a "check roms" to ensure that you really have the 1.40a ROM and not one of the other variants.  If you disabled CRC checking the game will still work, but the memory address used for fast flips may be wrong.  

2 - That means there's a flipper object on the table that's constantly "flipping".    Flipper objects are sometimes used in "creative" ways by table script that confuses the VPX measurement.   X-men LE has this issue too.     I temporarily commented out the post "flipper" to verify fast flips. 

I see the problem in Family Guy.  It has custom flipper handling, so the handler in SAM.VBS never gets called.   So we need to add some logic to call the fast flip routine.    Interestingly, this custom handling acts as "fast flips" for the mini playfield.   Good, because we otherwise don't have support for a second set of distinct flippers. :)

Replace the "keys" section of the script with the following:

'******************************************************
'* KEYS ***********************************************
'******************************************************

Sub Table1_KeyDown(ByVal keycode)

If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.PullBack:End If

If Keycode = RightFlipperKey then
Controller.Switch(90)=1
Controller.Switch(82)=1
If MiniPF.Balls=0 Then
PlaySound SoundFX("Stern_MiniFlipperUp2")
MiniPF_RightFlipper.RotateToEnd
DOF 101, 1
MiniRight=1
Else
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipR true
End If
Exit Sub
End If

If Keycode = LeftFlipperKey then
Controller.Switch(84)=1
If MiniPF.Balls=0 Then
PlaySound SoundFX("Stern_MiniFlipperUp1")
MiniPF_LeftFlipper.RotateToEnd
DOF 102, 1
MiniLeft=1
Else
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipL true
End If
Exit Sub
End If

If vpmKeyDown(keycode) Then Exit Sub
If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.PullBack
End Sub

Sub Table1_KeyUp(ByVal keycode)

If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.Fire:If BIP=1 then Playsound "Stern_Plunge" else If BIP=0 then Playsound "Stern_Hit7":End If

If Keycode = RightFlipperKey then
Controller.Switch(90)=0
Controller.Switch(82)=0 
If MiniRight=1 Then 
PlaySound SoundFX("Stern_MiniFlipperDown2")
MiniPF_RightFlipper.RotateToStart
DOF 101, 0
MiniRight=0
Else
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipR false
End If
Exit Sub
End If

If Keycode = LeftFlipperKey then
Controller.Switch(84)=0 
If MiniLeft=1 Then 
PlaySound SoundFX("Stern_MiniFlipperDown1")
MiniPF_LeftFlipper.RotateToStart
DOF 102, 0
MiniLeft=0
Else
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipL false
End If
Exit Sub
End If

If vpmKeyUp(keycode) Then Exit Sub
If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.Fire
End Sub

7 hours ago, Thalamus said:

Playsound SoundFX - requires more parameters (2). For a quick test and fix, delete "SoundFX" so it becomes Playsound.

Or change them to eg. 

PlaySound SoundFX ("Stern_MiniFlipperDown2", DOFFlippers)

Yeah my table is probably different than what most people have, sounds like yours is more "modern" with the controller.vbs.    But my script had the bug nonetheless.   The important part of the update is the four else sections like:

Else
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipL false
End If

As for WPT, you can try commenting out the SolURFlipper and SolULFlipper subs:

SolCallback(13) = "SolULFlipper"
SolCallback(14) = "SolURFlipper"

This will stop the ROM from being able to update the upper flipper.   Would be interesting to see if they are interfering with the measurement.   If that "works" it means the fast flips are actually working fine, the display is just showing you the delayed reaction from the upper flips.   The game forces the upper flippers also, so you continue to get full fast flip benefits despite the measurement being disturbed by the upper flipper callbacks.  Most tables that have upper flippers don't bother with the separate solenoids, but in this case they're connected because the ROM flips them to warn you of the ball kickout. 

Yepp. That was it. I must say. The work you've put down to make this work is very much appreciated.  Sure, the brain can partly adjust for the delay but not so much when it varies between 0-20ms in worst cases. On the games that I've played so far the average score has gone up. Higher scores is a good measurement to how much fun I'm having.  I'm so grateful for all the improvements you've done over the years and keep doing. Thank you, thank you and thank you Rob !! :wub:

I have all sam supports tables working including

Iron Man
metallica
tron
ac/dc

xmen
pirates of the carribean
avengers
world poker tour
transformers
batman dark knight
family guy

wheel of fortune

*** Tables that I can't get to work are

TWD & Star trek

I did the same for all other tables, not sure.  Can someone check and see if F11 numbers are below 10 for TWD or even can get it to work with star trek.  Thanks

http://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/the-walking-dead/    is not working for me

is not working for me

I can verify that twd works. Had such fun yesterday. I haven't bothered to try it on batman dark night PM5, yet since it isn't vpx. We all know that a better version is right around the corner. And the versions of Star trek you are referring to had to say goodbye since Fozzy made his version.  Just make sure you're running the required version of the rom. Try to move the command a few lines up or down within the table1_init. Actually. Best would be I guess if Hannibal updated the code himself.

WPT Confirmed.  also got WPT working FYI by commenting out those solcallback lines:

SolCallback(12) = "SolJailUp"
'SolCallback(13) = "SolULFlipper"
'SolCallback(14) = "SolURFlipper"
SolCallback(15) = "SolLFlipper"
SolCallback(16) = "SolRFlipper"

don't do this per DJROBX

• Content Provider
On 5/30/2018 at 11:19 PM, CarnyPriest said:

Someone else will have to chime in on teedoff. My cab is down. 

I just did a fresh install on my laptop in preparation for figuring out DOF and Pin2DMD. For Tron I'm able to set UseVPMModSol to True if I turn off most of the Video enhancements. 

I'm very late to the party but I've got the Tron PupPack working, Whoa!

TronDT.thumb.png.dd8ee07aa82cc952a3f3d30fd29029c9.png

Glad you got to check it out!

I would love to see that working in your cab someday!

On 6/4/2018 at 8:58 PM, jesperpark said:

Just out of curiosity, will Spiderman and SMVE be supported in the future as well?  Guess I should just try them, but thought I would ask

I added SMVE, Shrek, and Big Buck Hunter.   You'll see them on the next build.   

On 6/4/2018 at 7:06 PM, coreduo0099 said:

WPT Confirmed.  also got WPT working FYI by commenting out those solcallback lines:

SolCallback(12) = "SolJailUp"
'SolCallback(13) = "SolULFlipper"
'SolCallback(14) = "SolURFlipper"
SolCallback(15) = "SolLFlipper"
SolCallback(16) = "SolRFlipper"

This actually does not fix anything - put those back.   Without them the upper flippers can't flip to notify you of the ball kickout.

To be clear - they are only messing up the F11 measurement.    F11 sees the "later" call from the ROM and shows you the slowest of the two, but the SolLFlipper function connected to Fast Flips gets it moving sooner.    So, you are actually getting fast flips when those are in place.

22 minutes ago, CarnyPriest said:

official rev r4519
Added slots for Star Trek V1.62 Pro and LE colored DMD mod 

No, there are no patches yet for st_162. The new code just came out hours ago!

SAMBuild_r4519.zip

Also somewhat worthy of note in this build:

4516: Add Fast Flips support to select Shrek, Spider Man vault edition, and Big Buck Hunter Pro verions ("shr_141", bbh_170", "smanve_101")
4517: Fix bug in Family Guy mini-playfield lights.  

Thank you both !

Rob. Any chance I could steer you to have a look at the tilt bob issue I've been nagging about a few times ?

I can shake the cab like crazy. Never able to get it to tilt immediately. But, if table is set for eg. 3 warnings. I do get a tilt on the third. So, it is working, but, many fast hits is not read more than once and there is a grace period. I hope I'm not the only one seeing this.

So good to see the progress being made with the SAM build, my heartfelt thanks to those  of you that work on this !!

However I'm also looking for a bit of feedback.    It can be hard to work out where to place the 'InitVpmFFlipsSAM' at the end of the Table Init routine. Often its obvious, but sometimes its not, with 'End Sub' statements everywhere. I'm not familiar enough with the scripting language in VP,  marvel that it is. This isn't an issue when the left flipper speed is working via F11, as trial and error solves the problem. But as DJRobX explains above, with tables like a certain version of X-Men (released on 3 Oct 2018, by HF and others) the left flipper rotation speed just increments wildly.

On this X-Men table I think 'InitVpmFFlipsSAM' should go on line 219 of the script.

Anyone able to confirm this, or able to explain how to temporarily disable the "flipper" object on this table so Left flipper speed works as intended?

Archived