SAMBuild3.1 beta thread

CarnyPriest

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider
38 minutes ago, smith482 said:

I noticed that the kinpin rom that I have used for a while (kpv106) would not work but the beta rom does (kpb105). just putting that out there. thanks for the great work you do!

Yeah, this is mentioned earlier in the thread.

7 hours ago, dizzeee123 said:

I really love these beta builds, but lately ive got a problem with some thables, like 24, family guy, x-men and others.

Ive included a crash-log of trying to start "24" and would be more then happy to hear from the developers. 

crash.txt

which dmd plugin do you use?

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Snotz said:

Congrats on the progress of the dll!  Things have moved fast since I've been around. :)

Oh, yeah. You had been putting out the builds before @Arngrim. Well, it's basically the same as the official source now. I mean, identical. 

• Content Provider

Ah, ok. Well, that's water under the bridge. S.A.M. system was added to the official source a few months ago. If you are interested, the old driver that you reverse engineered is now in the source:

https://sourceforge.net/p/pinmame/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/src/wpc/sam_original.c

It is deprecated and replaced by Xmas code (which has seen a lot of development since then).   

• Content Provider

And like carny says i officialized vpm with sam based on your work, made it more compatible with pindmds, with toxie and some others we improved the performance.
i added all the new roms until pin2dmd arrived, then i handled the build task to whoever wished and that's when carny proposed himself

Envoyé de mon SM-A320FL en utilisant Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Snotz said:

I'm the one who decompiled the dll and made the original sam.c years back, too ;)

"Merry xmas!"

I'm pleased to have taken that work and built upon it adding missing LE solenoid and LED string support.   Thank you for that gift! 

Unfortunately, I dont have as much time as I did in the past.  Everyone has made such great progress in VP.  I recently upgraded my cabinet and VPX along with the emulation improvements is amazing.

This was the future I had hoped for by releasing the code... the community and the progress is astounding.  Great work everyone!

8 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

Ah, ok. Well, that's water under the bridge. S.A.M. system was added to the official source a few months ago. If you are interested, the old driver that you reverse engineered is now in the source:

https://sourceforge.net/p/pinmame/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/src/wpc/sam_original.c

It is deprecated and replaced by Xmas code (which has seen a lot of development since then).   

Wow... it still took years for them to add SAM to the official source... still, glad it finally made it in.

• Content Provider

I'm just a caretaker, really. Keeping the source up to date with the official. @arngrim and @DJRobX did the heavy lifting on S.A.M. development since that xmas release. But, yeah, I thought I'd have retired this build a long time ago. There's still a need for it though.       Also, I need to give a shout out to @lucky1 for modularizing the real DMD drivers. For a long while there, we had to compile multiple builds depending on user hardware. That's a development that impacted both the official and the SAMbuild, but that sure made my life easier.  

@CarnyPriest I totally understand.  For a long time, I was doing manual DLLs for pindmd users and one without.  Modularizing would have made my life easier, too.  I helped @arngrim take it over, at least until I "disappeared" with real life.  

Imagine reverse engineering the original SAM DLL, trying to fix bugs, and then releasing 2 DLLs over and over as tests... The guys here from the BBB chat would know what I was going through.  Kudos to you, arn, and @DJRobX and the rest of the community.

7 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

@DJRobX Curious. r4508 enables SAM fast-flips. Then this that enables it for the upcoming Batman. Does it mean that we need C-code changes for each SAM table ?

Excellent question.    Fast flips are currently supported for the following ROMs only:

"trn_174h"
    "acd_168h"
    "mtl_170h"
    "twd_160h"
    "wof_500"
    "st_161h"
    "xmn_151h"
    "fg_1200"
    "potc_600"
    "im_183ve"
    "avr_200"
    "avs_170"
    "wpt_140a"
    "tf_180h"
    "bdk_294"

Fast flips are implemented by watching a certain ROM memory location.   That location is different for each ROM.   I determine it by using CheatEngine and watching for values that go from 1 to 0 as I enter and exit the service menu when the game is playing.   This narrows it down to about 10 locations.    I confirm I found the right one by modifying it while in the service menu.   If it was correct the flipper will start flipping while navigating inside the service menu.  

Turning that off, would it not have negative effects on something else ? I guess I need to read more about having that set really does.

Update:

From core.vbs v3.52 it says

Add modulated solenoids to support ROM controlled fading flashers, To use, add "UseVPMModSol=True" to the table script.

Archived