The Getaway - High Speed II

On 07/02/2018 at 4:02 AM, MrTantrum said:

I'm liking your burn rubber.

For the chopper scene, I think I would prefer to eliminate the ghosting frames, and also add a little green to the mountains along with maybe some snow caps.  Would require frame colorization, of course.

Your stuff is looking really good.

I considered snow caps and wasn't sure about adding green for all of the scenes where the mountain is in the background but decided not to do it as I wasn't sure how good it would end up looking.

I haven't really noticed the ghosting when running in the game, it is noticeable in the gifs obviously, but as you say, it would mean using the replace method to get rid of it... which if I don't work out why it doesn't work properly might be something else I try anyway.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, please don't get me wrong, as I am not being critical of your work but reads like I might be coming off that way.  Cool thing is that we are dealing with a amber canvas begging for color.

Second, I have some general questions:

- I'm designing for real pinball and my ROM version is V2.  Wonder what virtual pinball is using, and if the ROM version will matter (I know there are a couple of differences in some but nothing major)

- Are you mostly doing color masking, recoloring, or both?  I think I get color masking, but do you base a color mask on a checksum of a frame mask (i.e. if I mask off everything but the word "ball" at the bottom left of the score panel then the color mask I build is applied any time that checksum appears)

- How are you testing your work?  I learned early on that the colors on my monitor don't accurately reflect what the LED panel produces, so I get that.  With real pin it is kind of a pain constantly going up and down stairs and everything else that is involved in testing each little change.  I wonder how representative the virtual pin is to the real one.

Third, I'm beginning to think that what I should be doing is getting basic coloring of everything and getting it to actually work.  After that, it might be easier to circle back and add more artistry to everything.  Seems like I can spend a lot of time coloring something, but then it doesn't even work when I test it due to keyframing/masking/checksum issues.  What is your approach?

Finally, I'm happy to share my work with you and would also like to have what you have done.  I realize that lucky offered to merge our files, but that would need redoing every time one of us changed something else.  Still would be very helpful to see your source files so that I didn't work on what you had already done, and possibly vice-versa.  Thoughts?

Argh!  Very frustrated with myself.  Just tested my work and some of it kind of works, some doesn't, and stuff that worked before doesn't display right.  My "say no to drugs" worked perfectly the other day and now it's all white.  Some of my lambo wipes work well, but only part of the time, and same with my police car wipes.  Also, the other day my shift animation was perfect and now all of the coloring is off.

Don't really understand what is all going on, but if I could just figure out better how things worked and why then I could make some real progress.

Here is a short video of with your colorization on a real Getaway.  Had an issue in that my left flipper return spring broke during first ball play, but went on without it.  Notice that some of your stuff works but some does not with weird anomalies (same issue I am having with mine).  For example:

- Appears to be working as designed: ball launch, free ride, 1st ball lock, kickback

- Appears to not be working quite right: burn rubber (I know you are still working on this), lambo & police car wipes (sometimes is gray, sometimes white), tunnel shot has bad ghosting with lambo, donut heaven not colored as you designed.

I'm having a hard time understanding with my work and now seeing yours why some things work and others don't.

(video removed due to issue with YouTube)

Actually, there is one place of confusion for me.  For example, I have some scenes that look perfect on the editor & GIF export, but on the pin some of the colors can have issues.  Maybe I am not understanding the 16 colors and how they operate.  They appear to be in groups of 4, but I don't really understand the relationship.

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, MrTantrum said:

Actually, there is one place of confusion for me.  For example, I have some scenes that look perfect on the editor & GIF export, but on the pin some of the colors can have issues.  Maybe I am not understanding the 16 colors and how they operate.  They appear to be in groups of 4, but I don't really understand the relationship.

Excerpt from http://pin2dmd.com/editor/

In ColMask mode you can only add content or color to the existing content. You can modify the colors of areas by assigning a different color group. You have 4 groups of 4 colors here. Colors 1-2-3-4 are the standard/original colors. e.g by drawing with color 5,9 or 13 you change the color of pixels having color 0 etc.
You need to play with the palette colors a little bit to get comfortable with that feature. By combining the detection mask with the color mask you are able to add color to dynamic content like score display etc.

I can't see the YouTube video, it says video unavailable.

I know much of it isn't working, you asked for a copy of it as is and I sent it but it is far from being ready.

As you say, ball launch, free ride, 1st ball lock, kickback all work.

Burn rubber should be at least the right palette colours but not with the "additional" colours for the most part. There are a couple I haven't captured as yet.

For the Lambo & police car wipes I haven't yet completed the masking therefore they don't work yet. I am coming back to that as I need to learn a bit more about how it works.

The tunnel shot is one that I haven't worked out what is going on with as yet. I don't know if I need to redo it. I did it as a colour mask but am wondering if replacing would be a better solution.

I think Donut Heaven colours are correct when I test them on the VPin.

The biggest problems with things not working as far as I know are setting key frames. If I understand it correctly, they need to be set to a unique frame and problems can occur if a "replace" method frame repeats. Other issues can be masking.

In any case, I am still a long way from complete on my project and have been spending time with other (non pinball) projects as well. I do want to see this project completed though.

Just called Google (YouTube) and apparently someone has been trying to hack my account from multiple states over the weekend so it is currently frozen.  I don't understand why, but they said it will be locked for 24-48 hours while the server works things out and there is nothing that can be done about it.

I too struggle with the key frames, and is slow work testing.  FYI, the coloring you mention on your finished parts does look really good, which is partially why I shot the video for you to see it on a real pin.

I did make a little progress on some of the attract mode this weekend, but still some confusion about why some things work some times but not others.  Work is slow, but when I make a little more progress and can get back on YouTube I'll shoot a video for you to see.  Would love for you to test my stuff in your environment too.

Also, not sure of your setup, but I just ordered something to help me out.  My computer is downstairs in my office with my pin upstairs in the game room.  Was getting very tired of pulling the micro SD card (taking/leaving my backglass apart every time), going back down to my computer, rewriting it, going back upstairs, clumsily trying to reinsert into very hard to reach card slot, dropping the card forcing me to take the speaker panel off to retrieve it, etc.  Found this micro SD to SD extension that should make things much easier.  Now, I can leave it plugged in and run the cable through a gap in the backglass or speaker panel, thus leaving everything intact each time.  I'm sure someone has thought of this before me, but I think it will save me a ton of time and frustration when continually testing my work.

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D9JIUU0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/03/2018 at 9:24 PM, fly said:

and how   progress ?? ;) 

I haven't had a lot of time to work on this recently but I will work on it whenever I get a chance. It is taking a long time, and I'd like it to be finished so I can share it but there is still a lot to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd provide an update. I have now completed a few of the Burn Rubber scenes but still have a few to go, and probably still need to capture a couple more. I need to then do the masking for the cars crossing the screen and fix some Key Frames (when I get to that I might ask for some help). At that point I'd be ready for someone to explain to me how I could possibly colourise the Video Mode.

It's been a long process and I haven't had much spare time lately but I am trying to do a little each night so that it still progresses.

• Content Provider

The method to colorize the videomode is currently in development. Steve has started to implement them into the editor (that is why it is crashing in the latest version :P)

As soon as I have editor exports to work with I can start to implement and test it. 

9 hours ago, JustAnotherRat said:

Thought I'd provide an update. I have now completed a few of the Burn Rubber scenes but still have a few to go, and probably still need to capture a couple more. I need to then do the masking for the cars crossing the screen and fix some Key Frames (when I get to that I might ask for some help). At that point I'd be ready for someone to explain to me how I could possibly colourise the Video Mode.

It's been a long process and I haven't had much spare time lately but I am trying to do a little each night so that it still progresses.

Sounds like you are making great progress, and I’m excited to help whenever you are ready.  The video mode indeed seems quite challenging, so hopefully Steve can come through with a way to get it done.

Just let me know if you need me to capture some gameplay, and I’m definitely happy and eager to help when you are ready to direct me.

• Content Provider

1 hour ago, MrTantrum said:

The video mode indeed seems quite challenging, so hopefully Steve can come through with a way to get it done.

The way to get it done is clear. In fact we discussed the new method with exactly this videomode because we both own a getaway. 
Now the concept needs to make it into the code of the editor and the firmware.

I recorded a video of me playing a game (it went for a while) so that you can see the colourisation in action. The problem is that some of the things don't work properly. I am assuming most of it is to do with KeyFrame problems so I might ask Lucky1 for some help with that. I think there are only a couple more scenes to record and colour and I'm almost done... that is until the way of doing the video mode is released.

The scenes that I needed to use masking aren't working at all (the cars going across the screen) but I have tried to mask it and invert the masking in case I had done it wrong so perhaps that is a key frame problem too.

On 1.04.2018 at 7:56 AM, JustAnotherRat said:

I recorded a video of me playing a game (it went for a while) so that you can see the colourisation in action. The problem is that some of the things don't work properly. I am assuming most of it is to do with KeyFrame problems so I might ask Lucky1 for some help with that. I think there are only a couple more scenes to record and colour and I'm almost done... that is until the way of doing the video mode is released.

The scenes that I needed to use masking aren't working at all (the cars going across the screen) but I have tried to mask it and invert the masking in case I had done it wrong so perhaps that is a key frame problem too.

looks amazing

great job

• 1 month later...

Archived