The Getaway - High Speed II

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quick update... DJRobX has spent a good chunk of time working through issues I was having and explaining how to fix things that he hasn't fixed for me. The guy is a champion and a machine.

I still have to find time to get back to this... not sure when at the moment I'll find time but I'll try to shove other things out of the way to make this happen.  Unfortunately some of the work I'd done was to no avail as limitations of the Pin2DMD Editor won't allow the scenes to be displayed as I wanted.

On 7/26/2018 at 4:52 AM, JustAnotherRat said:

Unfortunately some of the work I'd done was to no avail as limitations of the Pin2DMD Editor won't allow the scenes to be displayed as I wanted.

Yeah, when the ROM is dynamically generating content (things like video modes, or in this case, the BURN RUBBER maps) we hit some major roadblocks as it's not practical to try and keyframe and color every possible combination of things the ROM can generate.     For now we have to live with generic palettes or masks for such scenes.   Lucky1 has spoken of an upcoming feature called "L-mask" that is supposed to help with this, allowing us to detect and colorize objects within a scene, but we don't have this yet. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Unfortunately, I've not been able to make any progress, and those others who have undertaken the venture have seemed to have stalled as well.  What I'm gathering is that even thought the Getway was a tremendous hit and there are countless ones out there, the DMD coding must be a little more difficult than most.

• 2 weeks later...

So I thought I'd give an update...

As I mentioned previously, someone took over the project and they seemed very keen and advised that they did a few things to it straight away. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything from them for a while (just over a month) so I don't know how they are going. They were hoping to have beta testing ready by Christmas but don't want to show it until it is presentable in their opinion.

As that person hasn't responded to my last couple of messages, I asked someone else who has released some sensational work for Pin2DMD's to cast an eye over it and they have advised that they'd approach it differently and if they were to help out they would start from scratch. Their advice is actually to do things the opposite way to what I was advised when I first started the project. When I put that as a summary it sounds nasty but I assure you it wasn't said in a nasty way.

I'm a bit up in the air with this at the moment... not sure which way to go but hopefully the person that took over is progressing.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:29 AM, MrTantrum said:

Unfortunately, I've not been able to make any progress, and those others who have undertaken the venture have seemed to have stalled as well.  What I'm gathering is that even thought the Getway was a tremendous hit and there are countless ones out there, the DMD coding must be a little more difficult than most.

There are some scenes that can't be done with current methods but that isn't really any different to many others.

• 1 month later...
  • Content Provider

I dont plan on finishing this, just getting it started for someone else. Ive chopped up a ton of the intro where the checkered flag cuts in and out to try and make the transitions look protato.  Im pretty much working on LW3 till I squash the few remaining bugs and I think there might be 1 or 2 things left till I can call TMNT complete

• Content Provider
On 3/6/2019 at 3:46 AM, malenko said:

Do images not animate when uploaded anymore?

Yes, that was ever kind of buggy on this site and now it seems not to work anymore. If you open the gif in photoshop and export it for web/legacy it works.

• Content Provider

It seems that the upload routine is converting the uploaded animated gif to a single frame gif.

When I upload a export from pin2dmd editor which has the size of 72k and GIF89a in the header ,

it changes to 1,5k with GIF87a when I download it again after upload.

2.gif

Archived