The Getaway - High Speed II

I figured I'd create this thread so that it is known that I am working on colourising The Getaway. I can't say that it's a fast process and I am trying to learn as I go. If I manage to finish this project (which at this stage I still think I will fight it out) I might look at a couple of other games that I really want. This one was chosen as I thought there were less scenes to colour and I could learn before attacking the ones I really want to see in colour.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, fly said:

it looks great !!!!!!!! good luck  :)

Thanks... I think I am learning as I go so hopefully it works OK in the end. It's not been a fast project but I didn't expect it to be. Just spending time doing it when I can and sacrificing what would be pinball playing time.

Unfortunately it is a shit-load of work. That's why I guess you see a few projects started that seems to have stalled. I think you way of looking at it is very healthy. Not overdoing any day so you get so bored you don't want to see the editor ever again :)

I agree with fly here, you're off to a very nice start.

On 1/3/2018 at 12:30 PM, Thalamus said:

Unfortunately it is a shit-load of work. That's why I guess you see a few projects started that seems to have stalled. I think you way of looking at it is very healthy. Not overdoing any day so you get so bored you don't want to see the editor ever again :)

I agree with fly here, you're off to a very nice start.

Given the hours I've already spent I'm keen on getting it finished. If I can't get it finished, I'll release it in a usable state.

With the help I was given from Rappelbox and then some advice from Lucky1 I hope I am on the right track. It have given me a much better understanding of what needs to be done and things to try to make it easier.

I am tinkering a little and trying things to see if the scenes will display correctly as I have a problem where scenes aren't behaving properly.

I still have no idea how to colourise the video mode and I'm not sure how I am supposed to do the burn rubber scenes but that could be a long process.

Thanks for the words of encouragement from you and Fly. 

I have been approached by someone who has a real Getaway machine who has asked for me to extract it for him. Is that as simple as extracting it for Real Pin or do I need to do something with the serial number of the device as I read somewhere else?

I am considering setting up a Tips button as well. I don't plan on charging for the work, but if anyone want to gift me something for the hours I wouldn't be opposed to it :D

their is a high probability that your work will end up for sale in some website.

if I was you I would go to pinside start a thread,  and set a price for Real Pinball project release

This might seem  like a D!ick move in your part.

But if anyone should be making money on your project it should be YOU!!!!.

the simspons author was asking for $20 donations, but I"m sure their are people distributing  his project behind his back.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-led-color-dmd-user-colorization-projects

someone was willing to do the project you are doing but they where asking for a full Pin2DMD set up 

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-pin2dmd-funding-interest#post-3669998

if you have a set price ($300-$400) as the HS2 would be author suggested.  You can get   multiple real cab owners to chip in and only cover part of the set price for you.

• Content Provider
15 minutes ago, Pinballuser said:

their is a high probability that your work will end up for sale in some website.

if I was you I would go to pinside start a thread,  and set a price for Real Pinball project release

This might seem  like a D!ick move in your part.

But if anyone should be making money on your project it should be YOU!!!!.

the simspons author was asking for $20 donations, but I"m sure their are people distributing  his project behind his back.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-led-color-dmd-user-colorization-projects

someone was willing to do the project you are doing but they where asking for a full Pin2DMD set up 

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-pin2dmd-funding-interest#post-3669998

if you have a set price ($300-$400) as the HS2 would be author suggested.  You can get   multiple real cab owners to chip in and only cover part of the set price for you.

IMHO this is not a very clever advice.

You should have in mind that you might have to ask planetary pinball before you sell a Bally Williams colorization if it contains copyrighted material because they are the license owner. It is never a good idea to sell copyrighted material because you might get sued for it.

That is one of the reasons why visual pinball and pinmame is strictly non commercial.

I completely agree with you,  its sad that we have to even discuss this.

unfortunately their will be people that will try to sell this,  their is a reason why Pin2DMD and the editor requires a registration code.

I only suggested this for the real pinball projects not for Virtual Cab use.  Then again don't listen to me,  its your project, feel free to do what you think is best.

and I suggested you take donations not to sell copyrighted material,  if real pinball users wanted this they would likely donate enough money  to have a  link to your project.

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, Pinballuser said:

unfortunately their will be people that will try to sell this,  their is a reason why Pin2DMD and the editor requires a registration code.

Sad, but might be true. Just like people selling visual pinball and tables. You will always find such scumbags in communities like this.
The only way to stop them is by letting people know that they buy from scumbags.

We introduced the v-pin export in the editor that the project can´t be used with real pinball machines.
That way users have to contact the author to get a real pin version of the colorization and maybe donate for it, if they want to. Currently I don´t know
of any website selling pin2dmd colorizations. If you know of one, please send me a PM and I will try to initiate countermeasures.

• Content Provider

I always release all my files for free, can't stop people from being assholes and selling them, but I can help people learn to color games themselves using my work as a resource.

I started, but never finished this game =)  No idea why the GIF isnt animating properly

shift.gif.7366bd6b692203720e3dfccda482bbdc.gif

8 hours ago, malenko said:

I always release all my files for free, can't stop people from being assholes and selling them, but I can help people learn to color games themselves using my work as a resource.

I started, but never finished this game =)  No idea why the GIF isnt animating properly

shift.gif.7366bd6b692203720e3dfccda482bbdc.gif

Malenko's my man! 

And nothing say a person cant give a donation to someone of his own free will ;)

IBJ

• 4 weeks later...

Found your thread today.  I too am working on a Getaway colorization for my real pin.  I've actually have communicated with malenko, and he was kind enough to share what he had done to help get me on the right track.  I have also been chatting with lucky, and he as been a great help.  I actually started my project about a year ago, but underwent all kinds of threats from ColorDMD and Planetary Pinball, so put it on hold until now since I'm tired of everyone's attitude.  As of now, I’ve done a few animations (stoplights, gearshifting, say no to drugs) but am having some issues probably related to checksums when I attempt to use them live.

Anyway,  was wondering how far along you have gotten and if your plan is to openly share your work (mine is), and if so would you be willing to exchange progress with me (i.e. share your source files)?  I'm sure there is room enough for both of us to leverage each others work, but at the same time put our own twists on colorization (more options for users can only be a good thing, right?)

As a FYI, I am also the originator of most of the Getaway PinSound custom orchestrations.  I’ve created and released 8 different ones so far on PinSound community forum, and I even noticed some vpin YouTube videos recently that were using them (didn’t credit me, but I was still flattered).  I also noticed my original designed donut heaven ball lock cover modeled after Krispy Kreme has made its way into vpin.  Again,no credit, but I am excited to see that people like my work well enough to use it.  I don't tell you these things to be boastful, rather, just want to let you know that I am legit and have a track record of contributing to the pinball community (real and/or virtual).

Here are some of my GIFs.  Looks like you either need to refresh page and watch or open each in a new frame/windows the click on again to see animation.

I've also noticed with coloring, that the computer screen is not always a valid representation of what the Pin2DMD will render.  In general, the darker colors show up brighter on the LED panel, and the LED isn't capable of some of the gradation nuances.  Even so, I love it in a real pin vs. the old DMD and am excited about this project.

Getaway - Mask Score.gif

Getaway - Shift Gears.gif

Getaway - So No to Drugs.gif

Getaway - Light Green.gif

Getaway - LIght Yellow.gif

Getaway - Light Red.gif

Getaway - Wipe Lambo R-L.gif

Getaway - Wipe Lambo L-R.gif

Getaway - Wipe Police R-L.gif

Getaway - Wipe Police L-R.gif

Getaway - Wipe Police2 R-L.gif

Getaway - Wipe Police2 L-R.gif

Hey there @MrTantrum after starting my colourisation I read through your thread on Pinside and all of the dramas and didn't know where you'd end up with it but I had already sunk hours into mine so figured I'd keep going (although I haven't had much time to do it since Christmas). I am planning on sharing it once completed.

I am unsure of a way to merge or share our work to help each other complete it. I don't think it is possible, I was hoping that a version of the editor would be released that allowed this. I would love to be able to have some help colourising especially the Burn Rubber scenes as they are long. I am using a mask to do those (although I haven't completed the first one yet) but it is a slow, mind numbing process. If there is a way to share the workload, I am more than happy to go that way but I was of the understanding there is no way to bring two projects together.

Your colourising looks good. You have chosen different colour to me on the police cars, I have been working more on Black and White whereas you have used blue. How have you done the cars driving from side to side as you don't have score details etc showing? Did you use the colour replace method or a masking? My guess is that you have used replace which I don't think will work in the real application but am happy to be proven wrong.

I really have no idea how to get the video mode coloured as every time it is played it is different, so knowing how to capture it and colour it doesn't make sense to me.

A few things:

I too am perplexed about the video mode and not sure how to execute it.  I know that the other color DMD option achieves it, but a different process of course.

Regarding replacement, if I am understanding your concern correctly, it is my understanding that a key frame triggers the launch of a scene which plays for a given duration and fully substitutes the original display for that period of time.   I think it should work this way but it will hide any other content until the animation has completed.  Not sure which method is better, but still have much experimenting to do.

I went with blue police since original does, but I made changes including numbering the car as 504 to go with the call outs.

As far as sharing, the scenes can easily be copied by running two instances of the editor simultaneously, one with each project loaded.  Clip the same scene then copy paste by frame.  Takes some time, but far faster than recolonization.  From there you can manually use whatever video clip needed to set the keframe to play the desired clip.

Additionally, I haven’t tried playing with the XML yet, but I postulate that it can be edited to somehow merge work, at least partially.

What do you mean by, " I went with blue police since original does"? I went with Black and White as that is what is on the backglass. What are you referring to when you say the original? The ColorDMD version or something else?

I like your idea or using 504 however I think the scene needs to be done using a mask and therefore you won't be able to add the number.

16 hours ago, AnotherRat said:

Here are some other scenes I have worked on.

The Burn Rubber scene isn't finished however you can see what I am working on with it and the part that is unfinished shows the basic palette colours I've chosen. The Helicopter scene doesn't play correctly during game play yet.

I'm liking your burn rubber.

For the chopper scene, I think I would prefer to eliminate the ghosting frames, and also add a little green to the mountains along with maybe some snow caps.  Would require frame colorization, of course.

Your stuff is looking really good.

Archived