• Content Provider

ok, posting here BEFORE pinside.

So after finishing SFII (Gottlieb), Terminator 2 (Williams), I figured its time to tackle a Data East pin!  Here is Lethal Weapon 3!  Very much a work in progress, but I do have a few scenes done ( more than what is attached here). I'm trying to use color masks and palette changes exclusively, no redraws.

There's also another reason for choosing this game.  Randy Perlow hired me to color this for ColorDMD, sent me a contract an a W9 form, which I filled out and sent back after purchasing the machine. After I bought the machine, I emailed him for an update on when I'd get the hardware and software to color the game and he replied with this:

"

Thomas,

I previously contacted you regarding ColorDMD’s concerns with your work on an infringing platform and potential harm to its business.  At the time you responded that the work was for private use.
Since then you have ignored our concerns, and taken action to promote and publicly distribute this work, counter to a ColorDMD new product introduction.
As a result, ColorDMD can no longer reasonably expect to conduct business with you in good faith, or entrust you with safeguarding our proprietary information.

Regretfully, our offer to work with you as an independent contractor on future titles is withdrawn.

Randy Perlow

ColorDMD Displays"

Which put me on the hook for a machine I really cant afford to own. Im going to knock out this colorization, install the pin2DMD, and hopefully get a bunch of money in donations (spoiler: I wont :P ) but I'll likely end up selling the machine.

Data East Logo:

DataEast.gif.e7e349358c1f167348dbb9b8a8890c54.gif

Grab the gun and fire!

gungrab.gif.807a92794cf5476c9a769b5fea11eff6.gif

LW3 logo/shot  (all 3 are done)

LW3.gif.2f12491cdb00537289ae4eb865ac0366.gif

Train shoot animation:

train.gif.660bd237e55c39e5c56fb5a526128801.gif

And lastly, the shoot out.  This isnt 1 sequence, its 6 with a blank red frame between. If you dont get all 6 shots off , you dont see every frame. Score is masked so it should update dynamically. This was a HUGE pain in the dickhole.

ShootOut.gif.b53f1d8fe92cee6ba88e0fa6788ae672.gif

This colorization is also dedicated to the memory of Nick Wade , who worked on Back to the Future, Batman, Checkpoint, King Kong, Lethal Weapon 3, and The Simpsons.

• Content Provider

#Steve45 will love you for this, because it will be the first machine he owns and is colored with pin2dmd. So find as many bugs and make as many improvement suggestions for the pin2dmd editor as you can. Im sure he will fix and implement it :)

• Content Provider

So here is a List of everything done so far:
Danny Glover attract screen
Data East Logo
FreePlay palette trigger
How to Fight
Joe Pesci attract screen
Fighting Mini-game
Lethal Weapon 1 shot animation
Lethal Weapon 2 shot animation
Lethal Weapon 3 shot animation
Skill shot sequence (will be redone with a 1:1 frame match)
Local Tournament palette trigger
Set Gold palette at BIOS and as default
Silver Pictures attract animation
"starring" palette trigger
travis wins fight sequence
Warner brothers logo
Train sequence
all 7 "shoot out" sequences
grab the gun animation
flash screen made red
score "reset"
Mel Gibson attract screen
Leo Gets color mask sequence
2/4/6/8X Multipliers
1 million palette jump
BSMT2000 animation
Digital Stereo Animation
in memory of nick wade palette jump
"replay at" palette jump
Data East "flag" animation
Burgers palette jump
game design animation
"shoot holes" from attract sequence"
"shoot drop targets" from attract sequence
"how to Multiball" from attract sequence
multiball jackpot from attract sequence
how to load clip
Music select color mask

This looks awesome! The DMD on my LW3 is going bad, so I've been trying to decide what to replace it with. Looks like I have my answer! 

What's the best way to go, order the whole thing from German Gaming Supplies, or order UncleSash's kit and frame and some LED panels from Alibaba?

Is there a way to make this function as the GO-DMD clock while the machine is off? 

• Content Provider

I ordered from GGS, in the end either method would work. I just prefer a finished product. As for the clock, I have no idea.

I finished another long sequence: Car Crush Stunt scene:
LW3-CarCrash.gif.0cd72a99ce48d164b4423658284aeab7.gif

1 hour ago, cabuford said:

This looks awesome! The DMD on my LW3 is going bad, so I've been trying to decide what to replace it with. Looks like I have my answer! 

What's the best way to go, order the whole thing from German Gaming Supplies, or order UncleSash's kit and frame and some LED panels from Alibaba?

Is there a way to make this function as the GO-DMD clock while the machine is off? 

Like malenko mentioned before, it's your personal taste ;)

For the mentioned godmd clock: theres actually no way of using both firmwares together. only chance would be a 3 way cable, 2 controllers and breakout boards and some kind of relay between the controllers to shut the godmd controller off while the pinball is running.
seem pretty complicated to me but as long as both firmwares aren't merged i see no other solution. and, how would you power the dmd while the pinball is shut off? ;)

Greetings,
Dom

7 minutes ago, Rappelbox said:

Like malenko mentioned before, it's your personal taste ;)

For the mentioned godmd clock: theres actually no way of using both firmwares together. only chance would be a 3 way cable, 2 controllers and breakout boards and some kind of relay between the controllers to shut the godmd controller off while the pinball is running.
seem pretty complicated to me but as long as both firmwares aren't merged i see no other solution. and, how would you power the dmd while the pinball is shut off? ;)

Greetings,
Dom

Hi Dom,

Thanks for the quick response, I figured the clock and the dmd would need 2 different firmwares, but I figured I'd ask. I was thinking I could power the DMD with a power supply plugged into the service outlet,which is always on. 

A few questions

Also about powering the DMD, it looks like the one for real pinball has a DC voltage converter. What would I be looking for to power the DMD, 12v? I think I read people using 20v flasher circuits in the SF2 thread on pinside. 

What are the uses for the Wi-Fi option? 

Any plans on a bulk us order again?

Thanks!

Chris

7 minutes ago, malenko said:

Chris, perhaps a private message is the correct course of action as to not clog the colorizaion thread.

My bad, will take it offline. Colorization is looking amazing, I will donate once I get some hardware. 

Thanks!

• Content Provider

Well Im already at like 90 scenes for this game, thankfully some of them repeat (like the exploding car)

German Gaming Supply will be doing the official group buy for the pin2dmds  for Lethal Weapon 3 :)

59b03210a7ac8_DEFluff.gif.2397ab2f5d2580fc5c3a74fa2af96064.gif

shootagain.gif

getaway.gif

meh animated gifs dont seem to be working right, you get the idea.

• Content Provider
5 minutes ago, cabuford said:

Looks great!

I have the most recent display rom (2.08 I think) that has the change from Multiball to Tri-ball. How will this work with your colorization? 

If you have a pin2DMD, you could capture the "triball" sequences, or I can capture using pinMAME. Until I get the captures the frames that use the word "multiball" wouldnt trigger.

I have A2.05 in my machine.

firework.gif

Ok that makes perfect sense. I plan on getting a pin2DMD with the upcoming group buy, and then I'll experiment with capturing the sequences. I tried playing with the editor once, but I didn't get very far not having a device. It's a project I've been interested in. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve heard that one of the only changes in the new ROM was Multiball to Tri-Ball due to law suits. Hopefully there won’t be much to change. 

Did you stumble upon a cow graphic in the shooting range section? I read someone thought it was removed, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it in my game with the latest rom. 

Eagerly looking forward to this!