Pin2DMD = unknown device in Windows

Hi,

I have a Pin2DMD since 1 year now, unfortunately while installing it the first time my cat caaught the USB-cable an the Pin2DMD fall of my desk.

Result: USB-socket ripped off.

Since 1 year I'm trying to get help from my seller, but I'm still stuck. As I could not get a replacement USB socket, I now soldered the USB-Cable directely to the DMD ST31 board.

The inscription on the board is:

Pinballsp

DMDST32 V160405

When I plug the Pin2DMD into my PC I get the follwing message:

Unkown device

I remembre when giving power to the Pin2DMD the first time, I had squares coloured in rainbow colours and Pin2DMD text.

Now with power on the Pin2DMD there is nothing.

I red the installation instructions on Pin2DMD page and there are only instructions for DiscoveryBoard, but I do not have a DiscoveryBoard, I have Pinballsp DMDST32.

The OSD-Menu should be activated with blue-button, I do not have any blue button, I have 2 buttons called "MENU" "CONFIG" "OPTION"

On my PC I have a program called STM32 ST-LINK Utility, the About says:

Files Info:

STM32 ST-LINK Utility.exe v3.8.0

ST LInkUSBDriver.dll v4.4.0.0

ST-Link_CLI.exe v2.4.0

Could anyone help me find out where I have to start to get this thing running?

Thanks

jumperger

When checking with the Pins on the ARM, soldring seems to be ok

Do you think the problem could be on PIN 4-5 Bkack, as the pad 4 was ripped off I used the Ground 5 nearby.

As Pin 4 is signal ID , I thought that ID should be put to GND to simulate a plugged in USB cable?

> When I plug the Pin2DMD into my PC I get the follwing message:
> Unkown device

That is not a good symptom, that happen habitually when microcontroller USB pins are damaged or even may be the microcontroller is damaged and can not run firmware. 

If you applied  too much heat when soldering your wires, the microcontroller burns, ONLY must be made welds near the microcontroller, preheating the board to 100-120 degrees,  the microcontroller is VERY sensitive to thermal differences and burn easily.

You may check if microcontroller is damaged, simply connect power supply without SD card, if red led if off then board is damaged (except if boot jumper is open, then enter in boot mode and screen is black, but PC must recognize it like a DFU device if drivers are installed properly).

> I remembre when giving power to the Pin2DMD the first time, I had squares coloured in rainbow colours and
> Pin2DMD text. Now with power on the Pin2DMD there is nothing.

There are two possible explanations.
1.- You have damage microcontroller with the wires you have solder, because of Overheating or thermal differences.
2.- Boot jumper is open (boot mode to update firmware, screen is black, no splash screen), 

According to what you say you have done by soldering cables, it is probably option 1, microcontroller damaged by OVERHEATING or Thermal differences when you soldered your wires. Even though you select a not excess temperature. If no preheating the board, microcontroller will be damaged because of thermal differences.

> The OSD-Menu should be activated with blue-button, I do not have any blue button, I have 2 buttons called "MENU" "CONFIG" "OPTION"
> On my PC I have a program called STM32 ST-LINK Utility, the About says:
> Could anyone help me find out where I have to start to get this thing running?

DMDST32 do not load firmware by STLINK programmer, but by DFU USB. In old models, like your, there is a jumper in board to enter in boot mode to update firmware by USB. At any rate, if board is damaged, will not may update firmware.

Full instructions to load or update firmware in DMDST32 (old boards with jumper, current install a button), may see here:
http://www.pincabpassion.net/t4446p25-archive-dmdst32-dmd-concu-et-fabrique-par-pinballsp#95808

> You may check if microcontroller is damaged, simply connect power supply without SD card, if red led if off then board is damaged (except if boot jumper is open, then enter in boot mode and

> screen is black, but PC must recognize it like a DFU device if drivers are installed properly).

Red Led is off when power on  BUT: 

except if boot jumper is open - as you see on the picture I do not have a jumper on the BOOT-Pins , so I think it's open

then enter in boot mode and screen is black - yes my screen is black

but PC must recognize it like a DFU device - PC recognizes something because an error message pops up, "Unknown Device"

if drivers are installed properly) - my conclusion: drivers are not installed properly.

Could you tell me where to find them and how to install them? (what are the names of the drivers?)

When closing the BOOT-jumper , must I get the LED on and a splash screen?

Thanks' for your help

If do not put the jumper, the board is in boot mode to update firmware, can not run firmware, so screen is black, no splash screen. 

Drivers install, when install DFUSeDemo software, this is the software to update firmware, download and install it.
https://mega.nz/#!5VNHQDTK!ihMgspp6ww1IVRiD8_1KdtSozR8_72kbDnC14JnrKeA

If your board currently has firmware, then when close jumper and provide power supply, without SD card inserted, Red Led must lit, and PC must recognize a USB device, also if drivers installed, check all instructions I provided. http://www.pincabpassion.net/t4446p25-archive-dmdst32-dmd-concu-et-fabrique-par-pinballsp#95808

Thanks for the BOOT-jumper Tip.

1) Does this confirm that my Board is OK?

2) Could you confirm that my soldering of the BLACK wire is correct on position 5 ? (see foto for position 5) earlier post. Or must it be on Position 4 ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 hours ago, jumperger said:

Thanks for the confirmation of the soldering, I will try the driver installation this weekend.

Is the DFUseDemo for installing the firmware?

Is Zadig to change the usb driver ?

DFUSeDemo is to update firmware, check instructions I provided in following link (steps 4 to 7).
http://www.pincabpassion.net/t4446p25-archive-dmdst32-dmd-concu-et-fabrique-par-pinballsp#95808

Zadig is only useful for virtual pinball and if you want config DMD from PC by USB with tool software. To update firmware with DFU do not need Zadig.

As I have the PIN2DMD Logo and the rainbow colour squares ( Splash Screen, see foto above) , this means my firmware is OK. Is that right ?

If Firmware is OK I do not need the DFUseDemo because I do not need to update the firmware. Is that right?

I want to config the Pin2DMD with Pin2Dmd editor, so I need zadig to help my PC recognize the Pin2DMD when pluged into USB. Is that right?

And thanks for your help

jumperger

46 minutes ago, jumperger said:

As I have the PIN2DMD Logo and the rainbow colour squares ( Splash Screen, see foto above) , this means my firmware is OK. Is that right ?

If Firmware is OK I do not need the DFUseDemo because I do not need to update the firmware. Is that right?

I want to config the Pin2DMD with Pin2Dmd editor, so I need zadig to help my PC recognize the Pin2DMD when pluged into USB. Is that right?

I do not know what is your firmware version, but If you have never updated it. probably its an old version. So it's your decision, update or not to a more current firmware version.

If you want connect to DMD by USB from your PC, you need config driver with Zadig. 

I do not know what is your firmware version, but If you have never updated it. probably its an old version. So it's your decision, update or not to a more current firmware version.

Yes I want to update it, but I can not see it in DFUseDemo.

If you want connect to DMD by USB from your PC, you need config driver with Zadig. 

Yes I want to connect it by USB , but the PC does not recognize it.:  "Unknown Device" So I do not have the right drivers.

In your tutorial , you say, Windows will recognize the DMD ST32 and then you change the driver with zadig.

But on my PC it is not recognized and never was recognized, even befor the USB was ripped off.

Perhaps my Windows is missing a driver, but which one? and how may I install that driver?

Thanks for your help.

jumperger

Then something is wrong in your board, some microcontroller USB pin  damaged, or some USB PCB track damage and wires do not connect to microcontroller.  If there is a second jumper close to WIFI module, remove it too, both jumpers must to be out to enter in boot mode.

Unknown USB device is typical error, when some microcontroller USB pin is damaged, habitually because of excess of temperature or thermal difference in wrong repair (burn MCU if do not preheat PCB board to make welds near the microcontroller). 

I use ALWAYS this preheater (in picture attached) for board repair activities with welds near to microcontroller, preheat always board to 100-120 degree BEFORE to do any weld. STM32 MCUs are very sensitive to thermal difference, and burn easily if do not preheat.

$_1.JPG

• Content Provider
On 4.7.2017 at 6:10 PM, jumperger said:

Yes I want to update it, but I can not see it in DFUseDemo.

Yes I want to connect it by USB , but the PC does not recognize it.:  "Unknown Device" So I do not have the right drivers.

In your tutorial , you say, Windows will recognize the DMD ST32 and then you change the driver with zadig.

But on my PC it is not recognized and never was recognized, even befor the USB was ripped off.

Perhaps my Windows is missing a driver, but which one? and how may I install that driver?

Thanks for your help.

jumperger

Hey Buddy...

Checl the Pin2DMD.com page. http://pin2dmd.com/installation/

Section 1.2 is the manual to updgrade you spanish thing.
Under section 2,  you will find the Manual to Install the Windows Driver.
- in your case, skip steps 1 and 2, just connect your ONE USB cable to the PC! and go ahead with step 3.

When you like to buy a new Shield to replace your broken DMDST32, send me an PM and I will make you a great Offer.
You can use the DMD Display, just a replacement from the Driver Board is needed!

regards
Sascha

• 5 months later...

Hi Sacha,

sorry that I missed your answer,

just to be sure while instslling the Win drivers in section 2.

You say skip point 1. and 2. start at 3.

Does this mean:

1) Connect the your PIN2DMD to power,if not already connected.

I do not connect my Pin2dmd to the power?

2) Connect the STM board using the microUSB cable to PC. Windows should automatically start to install the device.

I have to connect USB-cable but I need to stop the automatic Windows driver installation ?

and then I continue with 3-5 ?

3) Start Zadig Utility from usb_driver folder.
4) Choose Options → List All Devices
5) Choose LIB-USB-WIN32 as driver and install

Archived