Walking dead or Tron Color Rom - Do They Exist?

delt31

no that's great and that's exactly what I'm getting when doing the "patch" process.  That works perfect.

Most of my questions relate to the non patch ones (aka older games, non stern).  Doesn't seem like for those the virtual dmd brings more to the table than VPM as those are just 4 color based (not the full patch color) right?

Really appreciate the quick responses guys.  Recently got a virtual pin and just configuring the hell of it.

you are so right about that.  Fun but I almost spend more time configuring the virtual then fixing the real ones!

As a new owner, anything I need to install that you love and would recommend?

EDIT _ tried FG and works great.  Did the same with POTC and it loads but virtual dmd is using 4 colors, not full.  Renamed to pin2dmd.pin not sure if it's on me or it can't be used for virtual....

EDIT 2:  

How do I move the external dmd on display 3 for each game instead of just 1 (by writing it in the dmddevice.ini).  Looking for the quickest way so that external dmd is in the right section auto for all games as opposed to me moving it.  

Also - any idea why vpx might crash upon initial startup when playing games config to show external?  They work fine if vpx loads a game and then quit and then load external DMD game.  

Very helpful!  I see this

"You can adjust the size and position of the display either by editing DMDDevice.ini -or- by starting VPinMAME either by using Setup.exe -> Test or by running its table in VP. Drag the display where you want it and resize using the grip visible in one corner of the display."

For the second option, does that mean I open setup for vpm and pick the rom then select test and then I'm able to move the external DMD to the correct position and it will be remembered once I close the test?  The .ini file would work but from my experience I need to write location parameters for each game which is tedious.  Ideally I would like to do this once and then the position for external DMD is always in the same spot for any game but not she that exists.

• Content Provider

I meant that if there are no sort of UAC or write access issues to the VPM folder that you can drag and resize using the grip. The program will write the size and position to DMDDevice.ini and that will be what it uses for all roms set to use the external virtual DMD

If you have a two screen setup then you might have to make some table specific adjustments to fit the DMD to the space that is made available for the DMD by the B2S image. I can see that being slightly different from table to table. I haven't used the latest dmddevice.dll and I have a three screen setup, but I don't imagine that it is writing to rom specific sections of the ini, and you may have to write those in yourself.

2 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

I meant that if there are no sort of UAC or write access issues to the VPM folder that you can drag and resize using the grip. The program will write the size and position to DMDDevice.ini and that will be what it uses for all roms set to use the external virtual DMD

If you have a two screen setup then you might have to make some table specific adjustments to fit the DMD to the space that is made available for the DMD by the B2S image. I can see that being slightly different from table to table. I haven't used the latest dmddevice.dll and I have a three screen setup, but I don't imagine that it is writing to rom specific sections of the ini, and you may have to write those in yourself.

So I have a 3 screen setup like you.  How were you able then to just change this once and it apply to the rest of your tables (re: external DMD).  As for this:

"I meant that if there are no sort of UAC or write access issues to the VPM folder that you can drag and resize using the grip. The program will write the size and position to DMDDevice.ini and that will be what it uses for all roms set to use the external virtual DMD. "

I tried just moving the external, resizing and when I closed the table and reopened it was back to the original place.  You mention "the program will write the size....." - what program are you referring to b/c VP won't.

The dmddevice ini allows you to tell x and y position as well as size for the dmdext window. Making the changes here will make all tables launch it at the given position. Just go edit in notepad and save. You might have to close out visual pinball each time as it check the location. VP is needed to be closed and reopened each time a change is made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Ruebsy Great support your are doing. Saying 'all' is a bit confusing. Saying default would be better. You did know that you can adjust this by adding the rom name to the settings ?

[twenty4_150]
virtualdmd enabled = true
virtualdmd left = 1424
virtualdmd top = 480
virtualdmd width = 570
virtualdmd height = 114

[ft_l5]
virtualdmd enabled = true
virtualdmd left = 1428
virtualdmd top = 464
virtualdmd width = 555
virtualdmd height = 94

I hear ya...you guys helped me so much I felt the need to dig in and assist while it was fresh. And yes...great point that I shouldn't use "all". That said earlier in the thread I mentioned my issues with GS3 systems. So omitting particular tables is also available.

2 hours ago, Ruebsy said:

The dmddevice ini allows you to tell x and y position as well as size for the dmdext window. Making the changes here will make all tables launch it at the given position. Just go edit in notepad and save. You might have to close out visual pinball each time as it check the location. VP is needed to be closed and reopened each time a change is made.

I get this and trying to but when I change the ini, it will register in game (like turning off the resize icon in the bottom corner of the dmd but setting to true but the changes I'm making to X, Y, etc seem to be ignored.  It still shows up in the same wrong spot on the playfield instead of where it should be (different display totally).  What will work is if I put the individual game with its own X, Y, at the end of the ini, it will actually move the file to where its noting.  

What's also weird is that the games with external dmd will crash if I select them upon start up of VPX.  If i play a non external dmd first then one with external checked, it will work.  Maybe a bug I can report but just seems like others would notice.  Basically - can you guys play metallica upon start up of VPX (where it auto opens the menu and makes you select table).

At this point it may be easier to make attempts using command line to test your positions first. Then adjust the ini.
Haven't had any crashes loading from either vpx, or PBx. @Thalamus may have a much better answer for you at this point. He is a god among us when tweaking these...
And yes also no crashes for Metallica loading from anywhere.

Ruebsy, first of all I'm no god ;) Your suggestion sounds very sane to me. I simply haven't tried that since I use a real dmd in cabinet. That has its advantages and disadvantages though. Can't really choose what kind of dmd I want to run the game on. But for what I know from registry is that there should be information there already about the vpm dmd, where you had it placed last. So, I would expect that information to be gold when you want to "convert" the settings into dmddevice.ini.

Ah - and, I don't experience the crashes you describe delt31. Can choose whatever game I want in PBX.

Great update.  Thank again for the help.  I deleted all relevant files and then redid it - and now it works (just changing the set of X, Y, etc in the ini.  Whats weird is that I need to have a dmddevice.ini in my vpmame AND my tables folder.  I also still get errors when I cold open VPX (prompt to open a file) and try to start SM VE or Avengers yet others work and once I get a successful launch, SM and AVG work.

Great update.  Thank again for the help.  I deleted all relevant files and then redid it - and now it works (just changing the set of X, Y, etc in the ini.  Whats weird is that I need to have a dmddevice.ini in my vpmame AND my tables folder.  I also still get errors when I cold open VPX (prompt to open a file) and try to start SM VE or Avengers yet others work and once I get a successful launch, SM and AVG work.

Since you just got the cab... do you happen to have script files also located in your table folder?

I for some reason(probably the way I updated it since vpx comes with an old? Dmdext?)also had to put it in both locations.

I will check.  The good news is thst the external is no longer a problem - I was able to fix it and size for all.  The last problem seems to be VPX crashing when I load a table that's using external DMD.  It will only happen if I try to load that type of table first.  Problem is it's also crashing pinball x (my frontend) regardless of what I play before it.  If I switch the same game to use VPM dvd and not external, pinball X boots right into it.  hmmmmm 

I also have a GTX 760.  Thinking about updating to 970 just to max everything out.

Just recently grabbed a 970 reference for $120 on eBay in great condition. There's deals to be had since the 10 series are out.
For the crashing the only thing I could think to double check is that all dll files between pbx and dmddevice are unblocked and all exe as administrator

So I figured out the problem......and giving up for tonight on trying to solver it but here's what's causing the crash.

"B2Stablesettings" file

The settings file that's created in my tables folder once I make changes to B2s (most importantly doing an active plugin so my feedback works).  If I remove JUST this file, the games with external load perfectly on cold VPX boot. If I put the file back into the tables folder, I get my force feedback back however the crashes occur.  

Any idea how to fix this?  I'm attaching the file I'm referring too.  So many meetings tomorrow - I need to call it a night but this is def the reason why it's happening.

B2STableSettings.xml

Did some more research last night and it doesn't seem like it's just this file so now I'm back at square one. Could this be a bug?  I will close this thread and open one that is dedicated and in target compared to the title of this thread. Thanks

• 1 year later...

it would be like converting a mac os to  run on a windows PC

two completely different hardware, ColorDMD is only available for real tables,  they do not support virtual pinballs in anyway shape or form.

you can dump their frames and import them into the PIN2DMD editor,

but again you don't just simply convert their stuff,  you have to do a complete rebuild from the ground up using the PIN2DMD editor.

you simply use the DMD dumps as guides to color your frames.

it would be like

-pausing the video at 01:26 

-finding the same frame from your PINMAME dump  in the pin2dmd editor

-coloring your frame using the same color scheme from the video

but this practice was frowned upon by the people that own ColorDMD.

• Content Provider

SAMbuild is set to run TWD game code that is patched for full color DMD whenever a patch appears on the scene. AFAIK there is no patch currently. 

In other words when it comes to the SAM system colored rom sets those entries are needed in the source to overcome VPinMAME's file length checker on start-up as the patched game code for SAM v2 tables tends to require extra space. Just because the slot exists doesn't mean that there is also a patch. Sorry. 

There is no "official" hacked SAM colored rom sets, so any patched code requires that the Ignore ROM CRC errors setting should be checked. 

All currently available patches from Pinball Browser/SmartDMD sourced colorization efforts can be found here:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/category/95-color-rom-patches/

Pin2DMD editor colorizations are a different system that requires a different process for enabling. There are tutorials for this at other sites. Maybe somebody has a link.

This list includes all the Pin2DMD editor projects that I know about along with several other remixes, code hacks, etc.

All this should keep you busy enough.

Converting ColorDMD is not supported or endorsed. ColorDMD is a commercial product and they do protect their IP as is in their rights to do.

Archived