Walking dead or Tron Color Rom - Do They Exist?

delt31

Read in another forum the color ROM (patched to play using dmddevice dll) is available but didn't see it in this site.  Do they exist and if so can you let me know where?  Metallica, etc really looks great would love for walking dead or Tron thanks!

thanks - so that is like the dmc files that you use in setdmd (they include percentages for RGB, etc)?  Can you tell me what the percentages are b/c I have trouble getting the pin2dmd.pal files to work in altcolor.  I believe there is no patching of roms with that palette file right?

• Content Provider

Yes, similar to dmc. I don't know the RGB values of the shades. The pal files are not text files. Perhaps you can view it in the Pin2DMD editor. There is no patching of roms if there is only a pal file and no bsdiff file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok thanks. Loaded in pin2dmd but couldn' t tell.  Would you mind listing how to get this to work just in case i messed something up?  I believe i just need freezys dmddevice.dll in VPM and then create altcolor folder in VPM and put TWD rom folder name in there then this .pal into that folder right?

Ok I think I got it to work however the something seems off.  Press F1 for settings and I check external DMD and color right?  It's base is a purple right?  Certain scenes like when plunging are just off look incomplete.  Would you mind telling me the colors you see?  

Besides patching the room I thought SAM only supported 1 color. Pretty cool this even works

I'm also using the 2.9 beta for SAM. Also found at vpu thanks Carny! I've only noticed my gottlieb system 3 has issues from dmddevice.dll but is known and freezy has been too busy to fix yet. I've excluded those from the pin2dmd.

OK - I did that (checked external and color)

Is TWF ONLY for pindmd or will it work on virtual?  If virtual (as I only have virtual), mine is looking weird (incomplete - will take a pic today).  Does yours look fine?  If so, can you send a similar one to MET?  I have MET looking very good too but I did the patch rom approach.  That isn't just the 4 color right?

Also - is the coloring done via dmc the same as .pal (in alt folder) for older games?  I believe both are using the 4 shades right? Right now for older games I'm using the dmc files which were loaded via setdmd.

Great - please post a pic of the plunge screen where the zombie is waiting and if you hit skill shot, he's shot. Mine looks messed up.   Maybe I need 2.9 beta? I'm assuming that pic of Metallica is the patched Rom color support - I have the same and it does look great.

As for the files avail - I see a family guy, simpsons party and pirates of the caribean but I thought all needs real pin2dmd hardware? When I d/l those files, they aren't in the same format as Metallica (.pin, patch file and read me - there are like 6 files, family guy has a .dat file).  Are you saying all 3 can be colorized via patch and played on virtual?  Would be awesome.

• Content Provider

POTC and FG were colorized with Pinball Browser. They should work with virtual DMD. Patch the rom and rename the dat file to pin2dmd.pal.

TSPP was colorized with the pin2dmd editor. It currently works only with the pin2dmd hardware.

Ok great to know. I've already patch just need to include .pal. 

Btw didn't see the color version of family guy when testing the patch in VPM. As a result, table is not starting as I've changed the game name to match color ROM.  Maybe I just leave the patched Rom as the original to trick it to start....?

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, delt31 said:

Ok great to know. I've already patch just need to include .pal. 

Btw didn't see the color version of family guy when testing the patch in VPM. As a result, table is not starting as I've changed the game name to match color ROM.  Maybe I just leave the patched Rom as the original to trick it to start....?

Don't rename the rom set. Just make sure the settings have Ignore CRC Rom Error enabled.

• Content Provider
25 minutes ago, Ruebsy said:

e21b029c89a26af9363b8dde65973a4c.jpg

Here's the only bit of color I've found for TWD. Personally I'm not sure if I like this or just an all blood red dmd...

That looks correct to me. Whether you use the palette file or not, you should use the dmddevice virtual dmd so that you can enable all 16 shades. The VPM renderer maxes out at 4, and I find the DMD frames illegible without all 16 shades. 

Thanks guys.  I'll upload what I'm showing in my cab. Weird b/c what I'm showing is purple and looks good but appears incomplete. EDIT - wonder if it's carry over my purple setting when I colored it in VPM dmd....? Not sure I like the screenshot posted vs the red blood.

As for the dmddevice virtual dmd vs VPM - the virtual dmd is the one we get by checking "external dmd" right?  The VPM allows you to pick the four colors (100%, 66%, etc). but how do I get to chooe 16 colors with the virtual dmd?  What I don't understand is specific to old games and some sterns not fully colored, is it better to use .dmc files (via setdmd) or .pal files?  Currently I'm using .dmc and using VPM.  I have tried to turn on the virtual DMD (when using .dmc) but the colors/quality seem to be the same.  I'm not sure if .pal (pin2dmd) files bring anything more to the table than .dmc. when using the virtual dmd but the virtual dmd didn't seem to be any better than the VPM at least for the older games. 

Ultimately i just want to make sure I'm not missing on something that would make the older ones look better besides what I'm getting with .dmc.  The full color rom/patch look amazing and I thought that was b/c it uses 16 shades?  If that's the case from your last message, does that mean I can get full color on older games?

Thanks for the help.

Yes external is what gives you the virtual.
Since dmdext is mirroring your vpm and you had it purple it will ultimately interfere.
And yes on this table I'd agree that I enjoy the red a bit more. I do wonder what coloring the vpm in red would do to it since it's closer than purple if that makes any sense.
If you've patched your roms correctly you should see colors like these
7d0be7b2fdc4bcfd739df4cb1ddb5756.jpg3842687fb5c8d88b681d19056bf013b4.png7f133ee238a530274e6d5d360cb04eb8.png

Archived