Pin2DMD/GoDMD with GRB Panels

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2017 at 3:40 PM, lucky1 said:

You could swap pins on the connector !

Is there any info on how to do this? There seems to be a lot of GRB panels around so it might be worthwhile having a pinout with a simple tutorial available so the less technical amongst us can fix up their panels if they receive the wrong type. 

On 8/23/2017 at 3:36 AM, lucky1 said:

Just like it was done on old floppy cables

VYByP.png

Yeah I figured that much out, but where do we find a pinout diagram to know WHICH wires need to be swapped? Is it just the one cable from the Shield to the one panel that needs to be done, or does the cable connecting both panels together need to be modified as well??

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

Just the cable from the controller to the panels. I will add a configuration option for this in the next firmware release.

So if we end up with GRB panels "by mistake", there will be a config option to change it instead of needing a cable mod?

That would be great - how far off is the next firmware release?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Rappelbox said:

time to update the shield ;)

Latest version of Sascha's Shield, however I only put the bare necessities on them as I am making PIN2DMDs to suit virtual pinball only. Looks like I'll stick to modding the cable to swap the wires over.

18 hours ago, Rappelbox said:

Adding 2 buttons and 2 resistors is maybe 50 cents and 10 minutes effort. ;)

Just to reiterate, the PIN2DMD units I make up are for use with VPin ONLY, so I'd prefer to avoid adding any non-essential components to the Shields.

As a point of interest, if anything is altered via the onscreen menu then how are the settings saved? On the Discovery board?

If so, then can I use a "fully featured" shield to access the onscreen menu and make changes, then once the settings are saved swap over to a "barebones" shield?

• Content Provider

You could do that but he next time you update the firmware the settings stored on the discovery board might get overwritten and then without buttons the user can´t adjust the panel type.
So the button are in deed essential. 

Archived