Backglass/DMD questions after pinballX upgrade

SNParray

I recently upgraded my pinballX to 2.32 which solved my error message. I was able to unselect hide back glass so I could see them. However I thought some of my backglasses kept score like Eightball and eightball delux? Another issue is I cannot see the DMD when cycling through games in pinballX however I can see them once I select the game and run it in virtual pin. My final issue is when I select pinball FX games it takes me to the pinball FX menu instead of loading the game so I loose the backglass. Any suggestions? 

justin

I haven't tried PinballFX on my cab yet ( might be I never bother ) so, no help for you there. What kind of RealDMD do you have  if any ? I upgraded to 2.32 myself this weekend and needed to restore the xdmd.dll and xdmdnative.dll that lucky1 posted a while ago - replacing those that comes with PinballX.

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=2943

Ok, so here is the problem I am a 42 year old guy learning then ends and outs of PC via this machine. Where would I find those files to replace, what folder? Where do I find what type of DMD I have? I definitely have a true DMD display.

Justin

• Content Provider

You can download pinballx media from the pinballx ftp site if you pay something like $6 to access or you can use PBX Recorder for VP tables and FP

what DMD. Does it display anything when powered up?

I've been reading you message quite a lot of times now - and I now believe I understand what you meant :-) Sorry.

PinballX is a frontend. You start that and it will show you a list of games and you can scroll through them with the flipper buttons - agreed ?

So, you are used to see a picture representing the table in your DMD when you scroll through these tables - am I correct ?

If yes, to the above - then, could you elaborate what you mean by "hide the backglass so you could see them" - see what ?

Maybe a couple of pictures will help us understand your problem better :)

Don't worry - We'll get you up and running.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the DMD would show images in the front end like it does once the game is selected. The pinball FX2 games show the DMD in pinballX frontend. 

I got my backglass images to load on the front end but when I play the games, the backglass used to keep track of the score and credits. None of them work now?

by the way VP community rocks so thank you for all the replies

I'm still kind of confused about what you are telling me. There is a application named "game list manager" - do you find it ? How does it compare to my settings ? I believe it would help very much if you took a picture of you machine. I feel like fumbling in the dark trying to understand what your problem might be instead of actually starting to help you.

game_list_manager.png

ok so I'm going to focus on the working backglass. For the game Eight ball there is no DMD support in the original game. When I enter into the game A still image backglass goes up on my screen 2 but a working backglass goes into my DMD. I want the working backglass on screen 2 and no DMD? This is the case for all my games that use the backglass to keep score.

Finally we are getting somewhere - why didn't you provide a picture hours ago :-)

GtxJoe is the export on b2s placement. To me it seems you have something wrong with a file named screenres.txt - that tells size of the displays and where they go.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=136

You don't need to install anything new - just read the stuff about screen placement and resolution. Pretty sure that is your problem right now.

Come to think of it - your're sure that all your monitors are recognized in windows ? If you loose one monitor, the screenres.txt file will automatically be wrong since you all of a sudden have only 2 monitors instead of 3. Just a thought.

Ok. Thats good to hear. Unfortunately it is late night here now - in bed in fact. But, now I start to wonder if there isn't a setting in pinballx that is wrongly set. I seem to remember that there is a question about pinballx drawing backglass. But, this is all taken from an old and tired brain - so I'm not sure. Have to re-visit this subject tomorrow if you don't get help from gtxjoe or anyone else by then. You say there are no difference in the games that work and those that doesn't in the "game list manager" - - right ?

Was a very late night for me yesterday. 3 hours sleep. Once again you didn't answer my question. I don't see anything that wrong with pinballx settings.

I need to know. The tables that is faulty in pinballx - do they work as expected when not run via the frontend ? One easy way to test - find a faulty one - exit pinballx. Start only visual pinball and from the recent game drop-down start the table again.

Ok, site has been down for me all day. I just need to ask you - is there a performance reason why you don't want to have the backglass working outside of pinballx ? That is the normal way of running it. Could you please upload you screenres.txt. You should find it in visual_pinball\tables folder. You agree - we should get them both working ... ? Ah - and a file named b2stablesettings.xml.

No worries man site was down for me too. I'm totally green on this stuff so i totally am grateful for your help.  I agree we should fix both. Certain tables work and certain tables don't work in PinballX. Static backglasses with DMD work while DirectB2S backglasses that track score, credits, etc do not work in PinballX. No backglasses work in virtual pin. 

ScreenRes

Archived