SNParray

PinballX "expired" message. Please help!!!

Question

I am new to this forum and a technically challenged individual. However, I have a sweet cabinet from VPCabs and am trying to solve a problem. I realize this is old news however I have read all available info and I added the lines:

[Partner]
DontDisplayUpdateMessage=True
Code=VpCabs1012

[Parnter]
DontDisplayUpdateMessage=True
Code=VpCabs1012

to the end of my config file and I am still getting the message "expired version." PinballX works just fine offline. Am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 answers to this question

I have an older version of pinballX because I am not computer savvy however I am making huge efforts to learn. If I am going to update pinballX, it's my understanding I'm going to have to update all my software. I am under the impression som of my backglass images and DMDs might stop working and require addition files/software. Are there a core set of know issues I can address? My version is 1.89.

So update PinballX. Do not update anything else. What about Windows? I also want to change out my video card to a gtx 1060 which will require a new driver? I'm going to move my old gtx 760 to my backglass and DMD and would upload the newest driver. It's my understanding this should not affect any of the software?

Look at it this way. You probably have a older version that doesn't have the code that disabled the update. I run 2.28 myself, don't need newer - have the same hack. But, I believe that 2.31 only does one thing - disable that auto update stuff that was there. Like the others say. PinballX doesn't really change your pinball installation. Its only a very nice frontend that most people nowadays seems to prefer. If you have anything older than 2.28, then I would upgrade since it contains bug fixes. Bugs isn't something you want anyway is it ? :)

On your second question. Both 760 and 1060 to the best of my knowledge run the same drivers. So, you should be pretty safe there as well. What I would not do however is to use two GFX cards. It might work though. A 1060 should not have any problems with running both your screens. My 750 hasn't. Your use less power and probably run cooler as well. And, what would you do if the drivers didn't work cross card ?

Personally, I'd just use one video card and drive all three screens with it. Even the GTX 760 can do that, let alone the 1060. Multiple graphics cards can cause problems and worse performance than just one.

or you can block the exe in windows firewall.

I have never had an issue with updating pinballx but it does suck that you cant just disable the notification.

Thank you so much for your help guys. I'll leave my GT 610 in for the DMD and back glass and just update the 760 to the 1060. Once I make a backup of my hard drive I'll update pinballX.