Old style B2S and Internet access

Hi. I asked this on one of the other forums and got no response. I thought I'd take a shot here. I've run a couple of old style B2S tables on my test machine. These are the tables with the B2S name coded in the script and running from an EXE file. My antivirus/firewall is giving me a warning that the backglass EXE file  is trying to connect to the Internet. I was trying to find out if this is normal behavior for these files and why they would need this type of access. 

Any insight would be appreciated.

I know what you mean. I try to avoid them also, but I'm a fan of some of the more unique tables like Line Drive (which I love for both the game play and the mechanical nature of the backglass) and some of the older novelty tables like Speedway. It appears to me that that older system is more capable of advanced features on the backglass. In fact I'd love it if someone developed one of the horse themed games like Hayburners and/or Derby Day with the racing horses on the backglass. I'm just not sure that can be done with directB2S. I have no problem with using these tables when necessary as long as I can be sure they can be trusted.

There were a handful of them, and I can't get them to replicate now. I'm not sure if that is because they've been allowed access or if it was because of the way they were run. What I mean by that is that one that it happened with Gator by starman downloaded from VPF gave me the warning the first time I ran it think. Just for the heck of it, after that happened I decided to double click the Gator.exe file directly to see what would happen, and it gave me the same warning.  Now it runs without, but I don't know if I accidentally allowed it access and Webroot doesn't provide a easy way to tell. I believe it also happened with Hit the Deck by rosve. and/or Big Hit by luvthatapex. They all seem to run fine at the moment, but again I'm not sure if that is because I dismissed the warning from Webroot incorrectly or not.

I guess I could message them directly to see why the EXEs were acting this way. I thought I'd check first to see if this was a general thing with the old B2S backglass files.

Archived