Pin2DMD on Capcom pins, where to tap power from?

I have just received two new displays to be set up in my Capcom Airborne and Pinball Magic. The versions with the integrated power supply fit nicely under the metal shield. So far, I have not been able to locate a suitable power cable I can tap the power from.

Any suggestions? (I want to avoid running a longer lead all the way to the power supply).

Take the power from the AC side of the DMD power board.....  

666_500_csupload_38051450.jpg?u=38464603

Have a look at the INPUT connector from here and put a multimeter across the terminals and somewhere you should come across between a ground and one of the pins a 90v or higher supply.  This comes from the transformer.  Connect your mains input from your Pin2DMD PSU to this.  Most of them work from 80-250v.  I run mine from 90v on the stern (the spec is 110v-230v). 

Set your multimeter to AC

If you are really stuck and can wait - my pal has a pinball magic at his house I could check the pins but it would be a few days away....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider
6 hours ago, s3xyGerkin said:

Anybody knows where totap it from on the stern?

straight from the power box? Service outlet? Piggyback on the main switch? Bill validator connector in the coin door? Other?

For SAM and Spike you can take the 5V which go to the original LED DMD

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, s3xyGerkin said:

I'm confused. 

Stern LED DMD are originally rated 5vdc/2A while a pin2dmd requires 5vdc/10A. (Per This topic)

I think stern 5vdc is rated 5A (fuses are 5vdc/5A), so there's still some tolerance, but still only reach half of the requirement.

The 10A comes from a theoretical max value calculated from 2 rows full white with 128 LEDs and 50mA each =  12,8 A
Due to PWM the real value is between 1,5A and 3A. I run my display at default brightness in my STPro without a problem.

Archived