Error firmware version not supported

senseless

every now and then I receive a pop-up when starting a visual pinball game that the firmware is not supported and the pin2dmd does not respond anymore. Only option is a reboot or a device reboot via the pin2dmd tool.

Does anyone has an idea why this happens? It is a bit annoying. I'm running firmware 2.36 and the pin2dmd key is on the sd card and also in then pin2dmd tool directory.

Thanks for the help :).

error firmware.png

• Content Provider

I had the same message today.
I tried something to test dumo files and just started a test table in the vpinmame setup.
The name was: Taxi (P-5).
I just updated the "dmddevice.dll" in the VPinMame folder and now is it running,

The dll file is dated with: 12-23-2016 05:47
may be that helps.

Edit:
I have updated to VPinMamr beta 2.9, runs like a charm (also updated the dll files)

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, senseless said:

Thanks, I will try the new 2.9b and see if it disappears :). I don't think it's instability of the USB otherwise it would also happen randomly during gameplay which does not happen.

Not true ! There is no data traffic from pin2dmd to the pc during gameplay and the firmware version is only checked during startup.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Still can't make sense of this.  Updated WINUSB, reflashed the PIN2DMD, made sure the dmddevice.dll was out of the latest master file, cord is plugged directly into the motherboard.  Every time the PC wakes up I get this error, in VPX, PinballX, DMDExt.  Not sure which way to turn next.

Not sure if it's a BIOS thing, seems weird that restarting the device would make it visible.  Can't see any change in the device state before or after restarting it.

Anyway, wasted enough time on it so I created a work around.  I used AHK to run Windows Devcon.exe to restart the USB device.  Made it PBX's startup program.  Here's the AHK script in case anyone runs into a similar hair pulling situation:

devconexe_Path=c:\Scripts
if not A_IsAdmin
 {
  Run *RunAs %devconexe_Path%\devcon.exe restart *YOUR PIN2DMD USB HARDWARE ID, CAN BE PARTIAL*
  ExitApp
 }

The *RunAs command in the script runs Devcon.exe as admisistrator.  Also get Devcon.exe here otherwise you will download 1GB to get a 80kb file.  Suppose you could get taskmanager to run it on wakeup too instead of PBX.

Archived